Another Deathtrooper!

I've spent most of the last few years on clones or mandos. I wanted a bit of a break, and to do something just for fun. For Halloween I plan on doing a Deathtrooper costume. I figured the helmet was a good place to start!

The base bucket is a vac formed MRCE recast. Let's not get into a moral debate about the origins of the helmet, but instead focus on beating the tar out of it. I chose to paint/weather it based on the Gentle Giant bust, since I liked his look. Less on the gore, more on the old and moldy. I will have some amount of ichor on my armor, but nothing too excessive.

5927996799_37e9462dae_z.jpg

5928553022_72e512f86c_z.jpg

5927995009_9596f944b5_z.jpg

And some closeups of the abuse it has suffered...

5927997779_c614e96e28_z.jpg

5928557080_296605fc60_z.jpg

5928556016_f71f1e8017_z.jpg

I did cut right into and through the lens. Makes vision a little awkward, but looks cool :)

5928001129_c4c3514b65_z.jpg

5928559384_1af75200ea_z.jpg

The weathering was a LOT of fun! I hit it with Dremel cutting wheels, engraving tools, razors, etc... It's painted with avocado, khaki and fossil paints, weathered with umber and black acrylic and graphite powder.

I've never worn a real MRCE, but I was surprised at how large it is. Not quite FX sized, but not far off!

Look at the size of it compared to my ATA!

5927990127_d1eef3b39c_z.jpg

Nice! Will this be 501st approved at some point? I have no skin in the game either way, but I've been asked that by several folks now.

On 7/12/2011 at 12:44 PM, Daetrin said:

Nice! Will this be 501st approved at some point? I have no skin in the game either way, but I've been asked that by several folks now.

There's someone who's trying to get that done on our garrison's boards. Torment the LMO chimed in with this:

The death trooper was one brought up about 3 months ago. As a costume it would be accepted into the legion if it followed the guidelines of the character. IE no blood. There is a full body reference to the the character in a game and there is the bust. If done' date=' there would be expectations that prosthetic would be used, makeups, and so on.

Bandages and heavily damaged armor.

Death_trooper.jpg

What would not be approved...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qlq9dkr6Gik/TEwUH3XHp5I/AAAAAAAAPP4/Nb7kic3_TFA/s1600/SDCC-DEATH-TROOPER-01.jpg

Why? there is blood and its white armor. They have some kind of green wash over them. It has yet to be done, but it would go through the same rigors as any other new to the legion costume.

Note -

This costume comes with a stipulation. It would not be appropriate for Disney EVER. Never should it be at a hospital troop, or kid oriented events. I think its common sense, but you'd be surprised how many people dont have common sense.

Edited by gmrhodes13
Updated text

LMO Spanos established last year that the deathtrooper, while outside of what is normally seen in the Star Wars universe, has enough canon establishment to be eligible, if done extremely well. Darth Talon comes to mind as something similar: While the deathtroopers are more gross than the 501st usually sees, she is much sexier. But, both have their place as evil characters from official mediums.

Now here's some food for thought: These could fit into Flagship Eclipse (EU general), Special Operations (EU armor, Galaxies characters), or FISD (white armor... it was white, at one time... these guys were the classic TKs in life)

Somehow I'm guessing this isn't a costume the detachments will be fighting for ;)

It's FISD for sure Brian! FE is EU SL only, SpecOps is black based armor and had FISD been created prior to SpecOps it's highly likely that the TK based TX costumes would have been on FISD too :)

Mason has given this a good start as have you - so it's just a matter of creating the CRL, and you know we are on top of that :)

I realized that this helmet was just assembled very badly. I was so focused on painting it that I didn't put it together right!

Last night I ripped it apart and will be repairing / repainting as needed to blend it all back together. The angle of the face was off and the forehead wasn't trimmed enough.

Stinks that I noticed that AFTER finishing it, but it's already looking much better!

Here's the helmet after re-assembling it:

5935753711_e9c6df1ca2_z.jpg

I took about 1/4 off the bottom edge of the forehead and moved the brow trim up. The face is angled out more at the bottom edge (enough that I had to add 2 more tube stripes).

The downside is that I had to repaint most of the lower half of the helmet to blend everything in. I did a first pass at weathering last night, and will finish that up tonight.

5935726101_3b65972ca7_z.jpg

It's not really THAT green... the lighting in the room where I snapped that was terrible. The color in the left helmet above is pretty true to life.

Very nice paint and work with this! That said, Im not sure I think it fits in the 501st. In my opinion it doesnt feel SW at all and wouldnt mix with neither the image or the other costumes.

This is a wonderful piece though, and you can be proud!

Very nice paint and work with this! That said, Im not sure I think it fits in the 501st. In my opinion it doesnt feel SW at all and wouldnt mix with neither the image or the other costumes.

This is a wonderful piece though, and you can be proud!

You are definitely not alone in your opinion. However, the decision to make Deathtroopers 501st admissible was already made last year, and the current team is in agreement / plans to uphold that decision.

While they may not fit in with what we typically think of, they are as much a part of the EU as any other Star Wars expansion.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm underway on the deathtrooper build. I'm scrapping that helmet entirely... the paint is too dark, and the overall detailing isn't great.

The new suit is ATA B-grade pulls, mixed ABS/HIPS. I've got it assembled except for the shims on the backs of the thighs. Then the weathering begins!

Instead of khaki as the base color I'm using ivory, which should end up more in keeping with the gentle giant bust. I'll use khaki and avocado for the darker spots.

I'll start posting pics when it gets beyond just a basic TK assembly.

How much did you pay for that ATA kit? If not here could you PM? This death trooper thing seems like it could be my first own attempt on assembly. Also more on topic: epic thread is epic! I want pics :D

You'd want to get in touch with ATA directly to inquire about kits. It wouldn't be right for me to talk prices since I'm not the seller :)

Here's the finished chest plate. The weathering looks pretty black here, under the florescent lights in my spray room, but it's actually a great moldy looking mix of black, brown and green.

6034078463_ecf2b606f2_z.jpg

The back, pre-weathering:

6034079043_f1b08c1cf3_z.jpg

And the shoulder, pre-weathering:

6034633502_849634feea_z.jpg

I'll be making a new helmet for this suit... the one at the start of the thread was an experiment. The second one will be much better! :)