Doopydoos all resin E-11 build

While waiting for my armor from TM, I decided to start building the E-11

Bought myself a kit from Doopydoos, all resin and very cheap, considering the alternatives and how accurate this kit is.

The kit is great in accuracy and detail, though a few things like scoperail and internal stuff (spring, rear bolt and barrel) aren't included, though I don't really have a problem with that, thinking that it's easy to aquire elsewhere.

Seeing as the kit is resin, it's easy to file away at parts to modify them, something I've spent some time doing.

I decided to put it together using E6000 feeling it would turn out strong and hold up well to trooping (hopefully).

The joints take a while to cure so this is not something you throw together in the course of a day. I've spent four days now, tinkering with it for a few hours at a time, letting the glued parts really set before starting on new ones.

I come so far that I'm only missing the scope, hengstler, cocking handle (which hopefully will be mounted to an inner rear bolt of some kind) and fitting the rear endcap.

I will try to make it as accurate as I can with the tools I have at my disposal, and I must say that the set of needle files have really come to good use!

Here come the pictures:

First the layout of all the parts:

oqmqD.jpg

The first thing I fitted was the grip:

JK76L.jpg

Roughing up the surface to be glued using a needle file to score a grid pattern (something I do on all to be glued surfaces):

hURKh.jpg

Making sure it's completely at an angle:

GZ1qe.jpg

Securing it tight with two F-clamps (notice I forgot to put the cap back on the E6000 in the heat of the moment):

tcgFG.jpg

Then come the front sight. This is how it came in the kit.

I was going to file and fit it a great deal to make it look a little more accurate:

XF0uK.jpg

WZdX6.jpg

KAELg.jpg

It didn't sit completely flush so I tried to file it to a better fit, not getting it completely flush, but a little tighter.

Anyway the glue eliminates minor stuff like that, and I might go back with some putty around all the glued pieces to make a nice clean "weld":

ts5yX.jpg

Clamped it tight, and went a little overborad on the glue, but that's easily remedied after it has dried, removing the excess with an exacto or similar.

lHn1f.jpg

Then I glued on the small disc on the mag reciever/holder:

VBiF7.jpg

The seam on the folding stock wasn't that tight:

v2ZF2.jpg

So I tried to file it to a better fit:

9GCkA.jpg

Resin dust this far into the build:

VpNox.jpg

Then came the trigger and triggerguard, I found that a rubber band was sufficient to hold it in place here:

zErc6.jpg

Glued magazine to mag reciecer:

4gVtF.jpg

Folding stock, also found that a rubber band was sufficient and best to hold it in place here:

VEVQ2.jpg

OTwWi.jpg

Same with the ejection port cover thingy:

weJDq.jpg

Edited by MartinSivertsen

Then come the project of removing the inaccurate bolts at the very front replacing them with real ones.

First I put an indentation in the centre for the drillbit to keep centered.:

zHaPa.jpg

Hollowed it out some more:

t3yhM.jpg

Filed, drilled and scored with an exacto until I was satisfied.

The black PVC pipe inside gave a great deal of resistance, so I fiddle a while with that:

HEynq.jpg

Then came dinner home at my parents in-law and I asked the father there if he had some 10mm allen screws laying around,

and wouldn't you believe it, he even cut off the bolt and filed them flat for me. Freebies!

yaM9w.jpg

Time to glue on the front of the folding stock:

SliH7.jpg

r581i.jpg

Tried rubberbands, but found it had a hard time keeping the stock centered, so I opted for an F-vice, also glued on the mag holder at the same time.

Now might also be a good time to mention the blue towel I used for laying the blaster nicely to rest while the glued parts cured:

FuNiT.jpg

These are the parts I am left with at this time:

6Pq6X.jpg

I wanted to hollow out the end of the rear lock a bit more:

QCOUu.jpg

znhED.jpg

HjxhM.jpg

LVekp.jpg

QiIcv.jpg

We come to a problem: The end cap is supposed to have three square bits fitting tightly into the grooves of the rear end, but the square bits on my endcap are practically non-existant:

ri4aT.jpg

8ugmf.jpg

I cut out three small square pieces from a spare piece of 1,5mm plastic I had, made sure they fit into the grooves on the back and glued them in place in the end cap.

Realized the day after, that I had glued them too far back in the end cap (I had glued them directly above the "non-existant" bits, but) apparently they should be a little bit more towards the edge if they are to be functional and the end cap can be fitted into postition.

Measured it out and fitted them again:

TUQga.jpg

Then i glued on the rear sight, and this was a real "female dog" to get centered. Felt like i had to adjust it fifty times before I was completely happy. And don't anybody come here and tell me that it's on the wrong way now, because this is final! Hehe.

fCreW.jpg

That's as far as I have come right now.

I felt the time was right to share the build now, to easier get some input on the continuation; getting and fitting a scope rail and details like that. Not to mention the paint job and such.

Hope all the pictures and inane details don't put you off. :D

No problem, part of why I'm documenting this build in such detail is that a buddy of mine wants to start a build of his own soon, and to share it with y'all here as well is a pleasure. :D

I'm just waiting for vern to show up and talk about inner barrel and spring; don't worry, I'll get to that. ;)

Might need some input on the fixing of the scope rail. I'm thinking about filing a small notch in the hole where the top t-track is secured (I should say "secured" as it's moulded together with the pipe..) and glueing it in there. I see a few just bend the rail and screw it down at both ends, as opposed to just screwing it down at the back.

I believe this is the rear bolt, it's really a part of the ejector port piece extending so far back that you see it through the cocking channel, along with the rear spring.

mj8pU.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Martin is correct on the rear bolt issue.

I love that you took the time to hollow out the details that need it like the folding stock catch at the rear of the blaster and the front sight. Nice attention to detail!!

Whatever you get for your top rail, make sure its got a little backbone to it. Even though your scope is resin, it will bend a light rail.

I was thinking about getting a 3mm steel flat iron and following the great (but three years old) tutorial by Billhag here.

Other than that, I'm leaving for vacation in 36 hours and will be gone for two weeks, so I don't think I'll get much more done before that time...

nice job!

all you need is the inner bolt, inner barrel, and inner spring!

the sight rail is good with 3/4" aluminum flat bar 1/8" thick.

I make my hengstler brackets out of sheet metal and bend by hand.

nice use of the clamps.

I've used e-6000 before on blasters, so I know it's a good fit!

One thing about the rear bolt: The outer diameter of the pipe is 37,5mm (~1,5in), but the inner diameter is just 22mm (0.86in), due to the thickness of the pipe being roughly 8mm (0.3in), so the inner barrel has to be significantly smaller in diameter than the rest of the pipe, and that would look "off" if it's going to simulate an extention of the ejection port.

If you understand what I mean:

GpgG0.jpg

The white resin itself is 6mm and the black PVC inner tube adds another 2mm.

Had it been a metal tube, I think the thickness would be 2mm at most and that would look a lot more natural if I were to include a rear bolt, instead of having it suddenly being deep inside the pipe as the case is going to be here..

I think I had a great idea on the bus here on my way to the airport.

If i get an inner/rear bolt PVC bit about 2in long put it inside where it's supposed to be, and then(!) Glue on a 6mm (or so) thick slim piece on top of the rear bolt, inside the cocking channel.

It might look as if the rear bolt is actually a lot thicker than it is.

I'll try that when I get home.

• 4 weeks later...

Found metal for a scope rail and made myself one, and have still got metal enough for five more rails, if anyone with a doopydoos would like one.

The metal itself is 3mm thick 20mm wide and (cut down to) 26cm long. I consider it perfect for the job.

I've gotten a little sidetracked with building armor now, but will surely continue on this along the way.

I might finish the blasterbuild tomorrow as I might visit the parents in-law and get access to a lot of tools, and then only painting and weathering is left. I'll post pics of the progress when the time comes.

I have been using Billhags tutorial as a guide http://whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4697

JsKXP.jpg

saZlb.jpg

A lot of cutting later:

qtfUh.jpg

Two lenghts of rail:

PZHo5.jpg

Measuring out:

K4d18.jpg

Scored the metal for bending:

B2m9v.jpg

After bending and cutting:

eQoM3.jpg

Routed a hole for the rail to be mounted:

hAMP9.jpg

a4ls9.jpg

Done:

qjriH.jpg

All that's left now is to drill holes for bolts at the rear and for the scope, and to make a simple holder for the counter.

Finished the rail and had made a simple hengstlerholder from temlplates made by Billhag.

I'm also a good way along with the inner bolt, just need to clean it up and make it ready for assembly and paint, shooting to get that ready by sunday.

Pictures coming soon.

Hi Tim!

As far as sturdiness goes, I just don't know yet. I haven't dropped it on the floor, but seeing as it is resin, and glued together, I expect it to maybe loose a few pieces if that happens. It will never be as sturdy as a full metal blaster or a hyperfirm (foam rubber) one. So it may not be the ideal blaster if you're planning on handling it rough (throwing it around and letting it have a beating).

But as I've mentioned before, seeing as it may be the cheapest alternative, along with being one of the most accurate ones too (and a fun build!) you really can't go wrong with one of these kits.

On the functional folding stock: It would very well be feasible on a doopydoos, just replace the resin one with a metal one, add a few bolts and stuff and you're good to go. BUT! If you are going to spend that much time on modding it, you might as well go for a pipe-build, and customizing it even further, maybe add a blastercore (sounds and light), seeing as the doopydoo-kit is (I believe) too narrow inside to fit a soundboard..

The build is now done, after a few workshops and tinkering to get a functioning inner bolt, which turned out great!

Only things left now are gluing on the powercylinders and finding a spring to go behind the rear bolt and then only paint and weathering is left. I'll try to go for a realistic paint job with nice weathering.

I used Billhags tutorial http://whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4697&st=0 for both the scope rail and hengstler holder.

Nice, simple design.

I found it best, both aesthetically and functionally to have the scope rail fit into a thin socket (vent hole) at the front, and screwed down at the back.

Making a very small bend at the metalbit going into the vent hole at the front helps it stay completely secure after screwing it down at the back.

nBkOi.jpg

First i drilled the holes for the scope (and hengstler) and countersunk the hole at the back so the screw i used layed flush.

cubjD.jpg

Then we cut out a hengstler holder from the simple template from Billhags tutorial.

TK8505 from the local garrison who has been inviting to a weekly workshop at his workplace, having lots of tools and materials at his disposal here doing the grinding. These workshops have made the build a LOT easier by having everything I need accessible when and if I need it.

bG80C.jpg

Bent it and drilled holes for the screws.

Wq0Rr.jpg

As goes for all the screwholes used on mouting the scope, scoperail and hengstler, I drilled slightly smaller holes than the screws (0.5mm) and the machine screws made the threads themselves and sit snugly in the resin.

O29gn.jpg

VbxX3.jpg

Completed scope rail and hengstler bracket (with my helmet in progress behind, and a Boba Fett helmet belonging to one of the other guys in the garrison.)

FBGHK.jpg

Now for the rear bolt.

I have spent waaay longer time on this build than I could have, but I just have been taking my time and enjoying the build.

Trying to make it a little more accurate here and there. There are of course a lot more that could have been done on this build, that's the beauty of building with resin, it's so easily customizable.

I used the cap from a pen to make an inner bolt basis. The inner diameter of the doopydoos is about 22mm, and the cap is closer to 20mm, so not a really snug fit, but as close as I got without going out and buying something else.

TK8505 works in plastic, so he volunteered to fill the cap with plastic, to make it solid, which was very practial and worked out really well.

GalPH.jpg

VJhk6.jpg

Used a small piece of wood which I filed and sanded down to fit into the rail

3WYj2.jpg

cgUMc.jpg

Then I found a piece of plastic which I layed over the rail/hole and drew and cut out on to make the continuation of the strip on the ejector port

yXkoS.jpg

NU787.jpg

Drilled small holes on the two pieces and installed small pins to hold them securely in place.

I ended up mounting all the pins in the piece of wood, or else I wouldn't be able to insert the pen cap inside the blaster before assembling the pieces together.

cAc4X.jpg

Drilled a small hole in the cocking handle and another hole through the piece of wood and into the cap having a long pin going into the cocking handle and well into the other two pieces, so it can really take a beating and be pulled without risk of anything coming loose.

z2mR6.jpg

Then I actually superglued the cocking handle deep on the pin, and glued that to the piece of wood. Notice I've also glued on the piece of plastic that's going to resemble the continuation of the strip on the ejector port.

byNxb.jpg

Here's how it looks mounted together

QJpjD.jpg

And here it is with the cap inside the blaster and the woodpiece with cockinghandle inserted securely making it a functioning sliding cocking handle with rear bolt.

3kqVw.jpg

Now I can actually insert a spring and screw the endcap on, and the spring will push the bolt forward.