5th Anniversary Newsletter (July 2011)

Shooter

lY2Q2Wz.gif

Welcome Troops to the Special Edition 5th Anniversary Newsletter! It's hard to imagine how much we've grown and developed over 5 short years, but I think this chart sums it up best:

2006      2011
Total TK's Legion          2,266
Det. Members        10       550
Expert Infantry      0       172
Centurions           0        12
Costumes Covered     3         7*
Forum Members       10     3,463
Total posts         10   190,225

Some staggering results when you think about it, our Expert Infantrymen alone top the numbers of most other Detachments. Here are some interesting tidbits of FISD trivia that you may not be aware of:

- People thought there was no need for a "Stormtrooper Detachment" as the Legion was filled with Stormtroopers already and there was just *nothing new to learn*

- Our DL and Founder "Daetrin" was worried he could not get the 10 signatures required for a charter (he had also only been in the Legion all of a year.) "Daetrin" Quotes: "The only non-out-of-the-box-FX piece I had ever seen in my life was my own AP helmet, and I was the only one in my garrison who wasn't out of the box FX."

- TE2 had just launched

- ATA did not exist

- Mike Appling wouldn't join the 501st for two more years

- Our first CRL was published in 2006

- The original EIB award was called "Mark", e.g. "Mark IV" for an ANH Trooper Award

- The first EI program allowed FX helmets

So thank you for a fantastic 5 years - we couldn't have done it without you!

In this issue:

From The Detachment Leader

Advanced Tactics

New to the Expanded Universe! Jes Gistang, Skytrooper and Kashyyk Trooper!!!

Brian Muir - The latest installment from the Father of Stormtrooper Armor!

Attache Update

Troop of the Month

Swag Alert!

-----------

From the DL

Celebration time! 5 years ago FISD was born and my how we’ve grown. We are now the largest unit in the Legion in terms of members, and even if we counted just Expert Infantryman we’d be #6 in size (and are on target to be #4 by end of year).

And if that isn’t enough this month there are more ways to Rock the White than ever before. And best of all, there’s something new for everyone.

Like the clean classics?

The Advanced Armor building techniques section is now online and there are more topics than ever to help you raise the bar on your kit. Do a little or a lot – the choice is yours! Proof indeed that there is always a new take on how to do something.

Want a dirty, rougher look?

The Incinerator Trooper and Stormtrooper Commander CRL's are posted and now Legion approved. Of course, Heavy Weapons works too. Speaking of which…

Want to sport cool gear?

With the Heavy Weapons Trooper you can rock a pack, pouch and BFG! No need to go sandy anymore. Heck, you can even use your clean TK as a base and have two costume options with one suit. Wicked!

Need some two-for (or three-for!) options?

There are more ways than ever to add some variety to base kit

* The ANH Hero option now has its CRL has posted, a great alternate to the standard ANH Stunt.

* Kashyyyk Stormtroopers only have one reference but can still be done. In short a second helmet is all you need to get started. For base CRL you can use any ANH/ESB suit, though ideally you’ll rock the ROTJ as a base.

Need something even more out there?

The SkyTrooper is a base TK with a TIE chest box, Fett pack and clone weapons. This suit is very close to Legion approval so keep your eyes peeled for more news and the CRL.

Want to make something never seen before?

The Jes Gestang / Legacy Troopers are more than just a helmet upgrade or a paint job. There are new molds being made across the board. Get your tools in order and help bring this costume to life!

Want the most accurate suit that’s Legion approvable?

Centurion standards are final for all TK costumes - see if you've got the right stuff to stand with your fellow Legion Centurions! 12 so far have been awarded.

Want to be help out your fellow troopers?

* Join the Attaché Program and get resources on how to be a mentor local members in your garrison, plus previews of new items in the works.

* Have great graphics or writing skills? Join the Imperial Propaganda Machine on FISD and help keep this site on the cutting edge of stormtrooper-dom!

With unquestioned loyalty,

Paul Hoeffer

TK-8020 "Daetrin"

Detachment Leader

Advanced Tactics

CRLs, EIBs and Centurions Oh My!

Body: The CRL's are currently undergoing a final pass by Tom (RogueTrooper) and the current status is that all film canon CRL's are now complete, and we're doing the last updates to those for the EU costumes. We're driving hard to have all of these wrapped up by the end of the summer, including updated pictures for the TKC and compltion of the SkyTrooper.

We're currently at 173 EIB recipients and 12 Centurions. Congrats to gazmosis (TK-4034) for bein the most recent.

There's always room for more and we'd love to see you take the plunge and join your fellows in the front ranks of costuming achiemement. Have questions? Feel free to ask on the boards anytime or your local FISD Attache. We bet it's easier than you think :)

New to the Expanded Universe!

We've brought in Special Correspondents "BananoPower22" and "Dionaly" to talk about the latest "soon-to-be-approved" Troopers!

Skytrooper - By Special Correspondent "BananoPower22"

This past month has been quite intense and full of research. Many troopers (myself included) have dedicated hours and hours of research in relation of our newest, soon-to-be TK, the Skytrooper. This particular trooper, featured in Disney World's attraction "Star Tours", is new to the Star Wars galaxy and our next addition to FISD's armory. Hasbro also made a figure of this trooper. Its designer, Glen McIntosh, describes it as a "hodge podge of a Tie Pilot, Boba Fett and a Stormtrooper." Both action figure and CG model presented in Star Tours were made according to the Glen McIntosh design.

You can read the whole description given by Glen himself HERE at the end of post #29.

The CRL, which is currently under construction, has been carefully inspected and reviewed countless times using references both from the action figure and Star Tours' version of the Skytrooper so that our representation here at FISD, as well as in the 501st Legion can be as accuratel as possible.

Its appearance in Star Tours is brief and using what the attraction gave us as references was a challenge, but that's what we all love to do here; work hard and make the FISD's armors look great!

I wish to personally thank TK-7100 for all the time he spent riding Star Tours, hoping that the Sky Troopers scene show up and taking multiple pictures, which aided us greatly in our research!

Congratulations goes to "Dashrazor" for his incredible dedication in replicating the Skytrooper, making him our new Skytrooper!

gCGnR0v.jpg

Jes Gistang - Special Correspondent "Dionaly"

2C4370m.jpg

Let’s face it, the first costumes that anyone notices at a troop are the Stormtroopers. They’re usually the most numerous and by far the most recognizable costume with that nice shiny, white armor. Even the average viewer knows that Stormtroopers mean Star Wars. For the 501st Legion, the vast majority of the approveable costumes are armored ones, even if they branch out from the iconic Stormtrooper. They are the backbone of every Garrison. Put on the bucket and you become a faceless pawn of the Empire: awesome, intimidating, masculine.

On the other hand for female costumers, the options for dressing as a bad guy are very limited. Its only face characters and frequently scantily clad ones at that (Darth Talon for example). What if you don’t have the body for it? What if you can’t do full-body makeup? Take it from someone who has a still incomplete Ventress, the female options for 501st membership are very difficult for most women. Many, like myself, branch out to the Rebel Legion where there are literally dozens of options for women because of main characters such as Leia and Padme. In order to become a member of the 501st, we would have to either sacrifice our femininity or put that femininity on an uncomfortable level of display. This all changed with the release of the new Gentle Giant figurine of Jes Gistang, the first named female Stormtrooper. This figurine provided enough resources for the “femtrooper†costume to be refined and eventually approved for membership.

There had always been non-canon “femtrooper†costumes floating around, but Jes Gistang’s armor is far closer to the male equivalent without sacrificing her femininity. Instead of having the masculine chest plate, Jes’s armor features a breast plate but clearly not a “boob†plate as made infamous by the non-canon “femtrooper†costume. The Gentle Giant statue features Jes in a custom set of armor from the Star Wars: Legacy comic series set 100 years after the movies. The armor is a mix of original and prequel movie styles. This armor, nicknamed the Legacy Trooper, is supposed to represent the evolution of Stormtrooper armor, so that it can fit any size or shape trooper, be they female or nonhumanoid.

0Yvrum7.jpg

Writing the CRL for Jes Gistang’s armor has been a challenge. The Gentle Giant statue is still in production, and we only have a few pictures to go by (most of which only show details from the front). The comic has a myriad of images, but as with all comics, individual details change from shot to shot. In order to even start making sense of each version present in the comics, I had to first separate the costume into its individual armor pieces. The established CRLs for Stormtroopers were an amazing resource for me to figure out how best to start that process. Once I had separated the costume into manageable pieces, then I started the long, tedious process of staring at picture after picture from the comics. I started with the leg armor. I sifted through picture after picture that showed the leg armor, trying to piece together every angle and detail, making sketches and taking notes as I went. For some of the pieces, this was remarkably easy, but for others this proved very difficult.

TP2JlEW.jpg

The helmet remains, for me, the hardest element of the armor to nail down. There are many different versions seen in the comic, each varying on the scale from Stormtrooper to Clone Trooper. Most of the other individual pieces can be described as “same as Stormtrooper, but with…†or “same as Clone Trooper, but with…â€. On the other hand, the helmet is an overall mesh of both styles and would require a completely new sculpt, rather than an adaptation of existing ones. Nailing down which representation to base that sculpt on remains the biggest task to finishing the CRL. Whether it's the helmet or other pieces, unity of design is key. For many pieces, we’ll just have to wait for the Gentle Giant statue to come out so that we can use that as a basis to decide between conflicting portrayals in the comics. For now, we wait and work on what we have. Once that happens, perhaps we’ll see an army of female Stormtroopers join the ranks of the 501st Legion.

Introducing the KASHYYYK STORMTROOPER!

This is soon to be a new addition to the EU ranks. The Kashyyyk Stormtrooper from The Force Unleashed.

HF4amh7.jpg

New Kashyyyk Helmet

a46oHMm.jpg

This helmet can be worn with a standard white TK, but the armor is a ANH/ROTJ hybrid such as the TKC or ICN. This helmet is a mix between a clone an a TK, with a one piece lens and is VAC formed by myself (after much trial and error.)

First off I would not have been able to do this without the help of Terrel (ATA) who allowed me to make the Kashyyyk molds from a ATA helmet. I started with a cast of ATA as the base and re-sculpted the molds from plaster, the entire faceplate and dome needed to be altered to make it possible to vacuum form. I tried to capture the look as closely as possible while keeping it formable and worn by a actual person.

Sculpted Faceplate Mold

czrR8wz.jpg

With Unquestioned Loyalty,

Mason Carson

TK-4603 "Dashrazor"

Deployment Officer

Guest Editorial: Brian Muir

FISD Intelligence Officer: Pandatrooper / Terry

Welcome to another Q&A session with Brian Muir in regards to the design and creation of sculpting the original form for the Stormtrooper armor!

I can see there are some classic "sculptural" character forms and techniques on the Stormtrooper (the barrel chest, the slimmer waist, the broad shoulders, etc.) What was the inspiration for these elements, were they intentional - were these added to provide a more imposing / intimidating look to the character?

Well during the transformation from the 2D reference, it is the sculptor’s job to make the 3D sculpt work visually. Also, with the added input of John Barry and ultimately George Lucas, it was the menacing look that we all agreed was what the Stormtrooper required.

Can you describe the steps and materials used to create the original sculpture, before vaccuum forming? (eg: what type of clay was used? Was it directly applied to the plaster cast of the actor?)

Buff body clay was applied directly to the plaster cast of the body of the model for the Stormtrooper suit. The plaster was previously prepared with a coating of Shellac so that the clay would adhere. Each piece was sculpted individually with gaps – the edge of each part mirrored the edge of the next part., Then it was moulded and cast in plaster. Then I sharpened the lines in the plaster stage. The pieces were then remoulded and cast in fibreglass to use for the moulds (tools) for vacuum forming.

Did you sculpt / create the changes that George Lucas made from the Sandtroopers to the Stormtroopers (eg: new abdomen button box, the button strips, the sniper knee plate, etc.)

No, I sculpted the armour but none of the additions. The hand plates were originally simple plastic cut outs but then look to have been sculpted at a later date. All the other additions ie: ammo belt etc were made from wood by the carpenters for using as mould for the vacuum forming process.

I had read that the back of the Stormtrooper armor (the cog and boxes or "OII") was not in Ralph McQuarrie's original sketches. What was the inspiration for the back design? Was it found items in the shop, etc.

There was no inspiration as such it was just how it looked aesthetically and yes the back section ‘OII’ was made up of found pieces from many boxes that were stacked in the Props Dept.

Have you ever considered resculpting the armor or any other Star Wars item for yourself?

To date I haven’t considered resculpting the armour or other Star Wars items as I am still busy working in the film industry but it is something that may be a possible project for the future. Never say never :)

Did Liz Moore sculpt the ears? I always suspected that AA had created these...?

I can’t say for sure who sculpted the ears.

Your work has become iconic and I don't believe you have any originals (Stormtrooper helmet or armor). Do you have any interest in owning or displaying the replicas that are available?

Funnily enough I do have a small collection now but not Production pieces. I have a Vader helmet that came from the original Return of the Jedi mould and am honoured to have been given one of Troopermaster’s Stormtrooper helmets. They are both on display in my home and I take them with me to conventions to show on my table as they always generate plenty of interest.

Attache Update

We are still looking for FISD Attaches to represent the detachment at the local unit level. If you’ve benefitted from your experience here at the FISD and would like to see other troopers new and old reap the same benefits, this is the perfect way to do it! Remember - this is YOUR detachment. Not all troopers are able to spend time here, so we need you to spread the word on all the good things happening at the FISD to the garrison/squad/outpost level, and encourage them to check it out for themselves. Whether it’s the Advanced Costuming forums, the Centurion program, the FISD’s Facebook and Twitter pages, the abundance of available costuming supplies and FISD-branded merchandise, or simply the esprit de corps that is epitomized by “Troopers Helping Troopersâ€, there is a lot to be proud about. Don’t keep it to yourself – spread the word!

With unquestioned loyalty,

Brian Robinson

TK-2918 "tkrestonva"

Provost Marshal

Troop of the Month

In a Special Edition of "Troop of the Month" we're featuring "gazmosis" on his first troop. His heartfelt write-up of what his first troop meant to him was so good and hit so close to home that we broke our own rules and posted the whole thing instead of just a brief write up (hey, we can do that, we're the Empire) Enjoy!

It has been an epic last couple of weeks.

After a two year battle to fit into my armor, I was accepted into the 501st and was honored to receive EIB all in one week. This was just in time to participate in my first trooping event; Star Wars celebration weekend at Legoland in Schaumberg, Illinois(just west of Chicago.)

Up to the time of the opening night, I received information only through correspondence with my new local Garrison. I drove to the site in my undersuit and neckseal. I wore sandals and lounge pants to save the public from the sight of my well outlined backside. I walked in the front door with my armor in tow (a suitcase for now.) I was met at the front desk with a smile and a statement that made my heart soar...You are 501st....follow me.

I was lead to a large service corridor behind the store that would serve as our dressing area. To my surprise, I was the first on hand, but not for long. TK's, TD's, X-wing pilots and T.I.E. pilots soon followed. I was finally able to put faces to names and speak without punching a keyboard. I of course felt out of place initially, but with every friendly hand I shook those feelings quickly diminished. I was still a bit intimidated and kept a watchful ear to gather as much information so that I could successfully "unlearn what I have learned". Although I did not receive it, I expected more of a hazing.

After we were all suited up, we looked each other over and made the necessary adjustments to ensure that we all looked our best. We were lead to the main doors leading back into Legoland. That is where the meaning of my experience began to unfold. The doors opened and jaws dropped around us. We walked as a unit to the front of the store to receive a briefing and the rest of the night was up to us.

Although I am comfortable in front of people and have been waiting for 34 years to be a TK, I was not prepared for the reception that followed. It was difficult for me to remain in character for I was consumed by the level of joy, wonder and excitement we were providing to kids from 3 - 43. I watched (through green tinted lenses)as grown men turn 14 years old all over again. My emotions swelled as the smallest Star Wars fans told me of their adventures with their tiny, shaking little voices. I didn't know what was harder; for the child to stand still for the photo or the overexcited parent to take the photo.

I wish to thank Kevin "Rebeldoughboy" for allowing me to stick to his side and follow his lead, but soon, things were on auto pilot. Crowds gathered, traffic slowed, flashes went off and the store filled. We moved between floors inside and ventured outside from time to time.

Although the event was 4 days, I could only attend 2. Sunday was the same adventure except for 10 fold the amount of people and 3 times the amount of time I was able to be in character.

Just before our time was up, I was standing alone watching Boba Fett, a biker scout and a Rebel Endor soldier have their time in the spotlight. I began to think of all the big and little ones that we provided memories for them that will last them a lifetime. Then I thought of the fact that after I took off the armor and if I stood next to those same people, they would never know that it was me in that armor. Did that matter? Not at all! I had the honor of making someone smile that day. The honor of maybe fulfilling a dream for someone. The honor of creating a memory.

I will never forget these feelings. Nor will I forget the honor I feel to be part of all this. Just to hope that one day I can again make someone else smile.

lMA2oo2.jpg

Swag Alert!

- All Patches have now shipped. The next run will be in the fall.

- All 5th Anniversary coins have shipped with some exceptions to Canada due to the post strike there.

- EI Only Gold Coins are still available for order - 31 still up for grabs.

- As always t-shirts, hoodies, and decals are avaialble via TK-4510's website.

- FISD Trading cards are also available.

Don't Forget We're on Facebook and Twitter!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitearmor

Twitter: www.twitter.com/@FISD501st

Matt MacNeil

TK-4887 "Shooter"

Public Relations Officer

On behalf of the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Command Staff.

End Transmission.

poywUXV.png

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Great Newsletter :P

I love what I saw on it ^^

and I really adore the top banner XD

[EDIT :] did you use trooper's pics for the banner ? :)

Edited by stevechewbacca

Wow 5 yrs already!!!!!

want to thx Paul, all members of the original command staff, former command staff and current! great job guys!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

It has been awsome watching this place grow. Sometimes I take a break every few months to work on other projects and when I come back I'm like what the ? The bar has been raised again!

Edited by tk0000