Got My Brown Box! Kevins TK build

Well I got my ATA armor today. It's my belated fathers day present. My wife rocks. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as I get started. The brown Box IMG_3386.jpg

It's contents IMG_3388.jpg

My foam filled duct tape dummy

IMG_3374.jpg

The positionable hands I built for it

IMG_3373.jpg

I guess my first question is where to start? As tempted as I am to start on the lid I think I should probably wait until I'm more comfortable working with the material seeing that's the main focus of the suit. So should I start at the bottom and work my way up?

Did you use coat hangers to make the hand? Looks pretty creative. Most people start by assembling the biceps and forearms. They're straightforward and don't require as much trimming and shaping as the legs sometimes do.

There are a bunch of build threads for the ATA suit over in the Build forum. I personally recommend Pandatrooper's build, as he documents what he is doing really well.

Looking REALLY good so far Kevin :duim:

I to am gonna be picking up my first set of Armor within the next few weeks.

Im a little nervous about putting it together lol, def DO NOT wanna mess anything up.

But hopefully with all the great people and info here i wont run into that problem.

Def keep us updated with some more pix as you continue your build.

yeah I thought I had it all figured out until I actually got the armor. Making that first cut is very nerve racking. I tried most of the methods on here to trim it but found the lexan scissors worked the best for me. I use the score and snap method only for the finishing strips

• 2 weeks later...

pretty much done fitting all the major pieces together. Just have to figure out how I'm going to shim the thighs, shins, and sides. It's a little difficult trying to figure out the width for the shims on the legs trying to do it myself. I switched to using webbing for my snap plates so they contoured to the armor a little better.

IMG_3413.jpg

While I try to figure out how I want to go about doing the leg shims I started the helmet. I ran in to one problem already. I tried painting the inside black with rubberized undercoating and it just rubbed right off in most places. After removing as much as I could I figured I'd just paint black paint on the inside when I'm done with it.

IMG_3414.jpg

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Coming along nicely so far. Personally, I usually leave the helmet for the last part of the build.

In regards to leg shims (and the rest of the armor), there are tutorials written with sizes and specs here.

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/tutorials/armor-tutorials/thighsshins.html

In regards to painting the helmet, did you wash the inside with detergent first? Follow my ATA ABS helmet build for tips.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=14806&st=0

Second coat of paint on the helmet. Still not really happy with the black lines. Might have to go back in and re-do them.

IMG_3421.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

What I have done so far. Still have to add some elastic or something to keep the shoulder bells closer to my arms and in place and figure out how I want to shim the sides.

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

Besides the obvious things that need to be done how does it look so far? Does the alignment of everything look okay? One other thing is it okay to cut out part of the bottom of the thigh backs like I've seen in some photos? I can walk around just fine but if I have to go up stairs or anything like that I end up walking like the tin man.

the poseable hands are pretty easy to make. I was starting to make hand guards but wasn't liking how it looked so I used the wood from those for the palms of the hands. The fingers are just a dowel rod cut up with the edges sanded down so the fingers can bend. I used armature wire to run in holes I drilled in the dowels. the wrist part is just a coupler for pvc pipe then it was all hot glued together.

Martin. I am fairly big probably should have gone with a kit that was made for larger people but didn't have the money for any of them (wife wouldn't let me spend the money lol) I'm about 6'3" and about 225-230 lbs.