ESB Mark II Helmets

In a nut shell, the majority of helmets used in ESB were refurbished ANH helmets that were made from HDPE. The ESB MKII helmets were made from ABS and made specially for ESB. New armour was made too which was later cast to make ROTJ armour and helmets :)

It's possible, but I haven't seen any evidence, though there is one ESB HDPE helmet on the Ewoks drum kit.

The helmets look different and the MKII suits forearms and biceps were doubled up (used two left arms). All the ROTJ suits I have seen have the correct left and right arms. The assembly of the armour was different and some areas were trimmed differently too.

My Mark II helmet came directly from the set of ROTJ in the UK. Will post a bit more info later. No proof it was used but it came in a damaged condition directly from the set. It is documented in a Star Wars Insider article...

Well, as I said earlier, the arms are different. The ESB MKII used one arm for both sides as far as I am aware. All the photos I have seen of these particular suits do not have 'sided' arms, just doubled up. That said, it doesn't mean all of them were like that but I would hazzard a guess they were.

The trimming is very similar to ROTJ. The shoulder bells and chest plate differ slightly compared to an ROTJ. I think lessons may have been learned with these new ESB MKII's and the suits were refined slightly when they later produced the ROTJ's.

The strapping is definately different. I managed to see in person (albeit behind a glass case) and you could partly see how they were strapped. They match the strapping in John.B's suit which is definately not the same as what is seen on screen in ROTJ.

These are just my observations of what I have seen over the years :)

• 3 weeks later...

Are the Mark II helmets cast from a stunt helmet in ABS? Are the ear glued on or screwed on? Any good detail pics floating around out there?

From what I have seen I would say yes. From the outside I think I read somewhere. There are remnants of the tear track on the Mark II helmets, ears are glued on and a foam liner...Tibe kink matches an assembled ANH helmet and the dimple underneath. I don't know anything about the armour.

Joe

Edited by JoeR