Latex stunt neck seals research and build thread

No big news. I'm stil trying to perfectmy sculpting technique.

But here's a mock up with a floor matt, which has just about the right spacing

p1010956uz.jpg

Also pictured: a real Edelweiss from my balcony and a vintage rubik's cube.

Edited by Sonnenschein

I think it looks either too tall or too narrow, also the originals seem to taper towards the top. Of course this could all be the angle of the shot.

Really glad to see we will soon have an original style neckseal

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

If I remember correctly there was a lot of debate over the amount of ridges earlier on. I also thought they had a taper, the Han photo seemed to show it but as you say Karin it may just have been the neck contour. :smiley-sw013:

The taper seems quite apparant in the last picture.

Indeed it is. But it is also the only one.

If you look at the trooper to the very left, no sign of a taper.

I'm going to build this one straight. I really do think the taper comes from stretching

If I remember correctly there was a lot of debate over the amount of ridges earlier on. I also thought they had a taper, the Han photo seemed to show it but as you say Karin it may just have been the neck contour. :smiley-sw013:

Don't confuse hero neck seals with the stunt ones ;)

Im liking what your coming up with Karin. Very similar thought process to my own. The floor mat is great! lol i think the spacing/size looks almost perfect on that. Hard to say if there is in fact a taper..but im sure it will be worked out!

Something i just thought of for the future, would be to maybe cast them in black silicone rubber. it will hold up much longer than latex would. Sweat deteriorates latex. So these would have to be cleaned immediately after each use if made in latex rubber. I know this from owning a few high end latex masks :) Just something to keep in the back of your mind for after you get the master down, make a few of these, and know what your dealing with. :)

Either way...im gonna want one :duim:

Sorry Karin, didn't think there was a difference in the neck seals.

If it is any help, in Australia we have a couple of black silicones, black gasket goo and sikaflex, not sure if either are available in the EU. Both dry rigid but are flexible

Sorry Karin, didn't think there was a difference in the neck seals.

If it is any help, in Australia we have a couple of black silicones, black gasket goo and sikaflex, not sure if either are available in the EU. Both dry rigid but are flexible

Thanks, I'll look into it!

I'm not giving any input on the ongoing creation of this. But, I was thinking how crazy it is that they all seem different? I would imagine it its a found part? Why on earth would they take time to create this for troops when you never see it? I can understand the Han and Luke...it makes the armor more interesting with helmet off...but regular troops? Is it part of the black under suit?

The neck seal is used to hide the bare neck.

Han's and Luke's were custom tailored (some kind of shiny fabric) for the actor's comfort and as you said it, "to make it more interesting"

Those poor extras (some 50+people) had to wear some kind of latex (neoprene) neckseal, most proabably from a deep devie suit.It surely was a found part, although we didn't find it (yet) and most probably won't ever will (aber 35 years!)

The next bet thing to a real found part is to replicate it by hand.

I think the fact that no neck seal really looks alike is due to the stretchabilty and flexibility of the latex. But I have to have one in hand to be sure.

Thanks for your (unintended) input; it gave me the chance to summarize this thread!

Has it ever been discussed that they could have been some sort of joint cover gasket or gaiter from an engine or machinery? They look a bit like giant steering rack gaiters.

No, not really. But I already looked into that. So far, no luck. The few I found had the wrong diameter.

Edited by Sonnenschein

Just thought I would add that you can find the same type of design in brake boosters, usally larger diameter too. Also Sikaflex I manage to get off my hands with goo remover :D . Keep up the good work Karin

Just thought I would add that you can find the same type of design in brake boosters, usally larger diameter too. Also Sikaflex I manage to get off my hands with goo remover :D . Keep up the good work Karin

Goo remover. I'll have to try that. I've had that stuff on my hands for a week in the past :D

I know been there before, have learned now that the absolute best thing is the cheap throw away plastic gloves, use them also while spary painting ;)

Indeed! must have used several thousends of them in the past years!

Sometime ago,when I made some resin molds, I ran out of gloves, I ran to the next supermarket. I got gloves, baby powder and vaseline. It took me a while to realise WHY everybody was staring at me...

Lesson learned: Some things are best ordered online!

Latex_Medical_Examination__Gloves.jpg

Ummmmm awkward, hope that wasn't when you were searching on the computer for ribbed latex LMAO. Thank you again for my hand guards, they are great :jc_doublethumbup:

Indeed! must have used several thousends of them in the past years!

Sometime ago,when I made some resin molds, I ran out of gloves, I ran to the next supermarket. I got gloves, baby powder and vaseline. It took me a while to realise WHY everybody was staring at me...

Lesson learned: Some things are best ordered online!

Latex_Medical_Examination__Gloves.jpg