Latex stunt neck seals research and build thread

The neck lenght? do you mean the circumference of the neck? This will fit 16" (41cm)

The height on the ribbed part will be 10-11 cm. There will be 11 ribs. You can cut it down if you want. The seals had different amounts ribs.

I doubt I'll make hero seal. IMO, they were hand sewn out of some kind of fabric,not rubber,

Thanks for the answers Karin.

Looks like you're on the the home stretch now. It's been a long time coming, love to see them when finished.

A few thought why I don't sculpt the usualy way (maybe this clears my head)

The last time I used clay was in kindergarten, I think.

I think I I could get a clay sculpt done, but I need a lot of time and several attempts.

But I know my way around with styrene. All my hand guards started out as plastic cut outs!

I want to have the master sculpt as flawless and glossy as possible. As I found out, that any roughness and imperfections will drastically reduce the durability of the finished product. I can do that with styrene

The master sculpt needd to be cast in plaster. if it's a clay master I'd be only able to do this one time only with my luck.

I need something more durable.

I don't need to buy much new raw materials. Still have some left from the hand guards. Huge money saver!

If you read all this, thank you! I feel much beter know!

can't quite tell from the pictures, is the base oval, would help to drape better,also would there be a over hang to open and close. Looking great good work, wish I was that handy

No trade secrets; everthing can be found on the net :)

After I finish the sculpt, I'll make a plaster copy. That will be dipped in BIG vat of latex. After a certain amount of time a latex "skin" has been built, and the vat will be emptied.

The thickness should be around 1 mm. The sample I've shown earlier is about 0,25 mm

If one is worried that 1 mm is not enough: a bicycle tire is about 1mm

Edited by Sonnenschein

I know Vern! That's why I asked everybody for their neck size in advance

I'll make the 16" version atm, When it's finished, we'll see how much it stretches to be still comfy.

A larger version (like 18") ist easy to make once the first one is finished.

If eveything works out, there will even be a 14" version (as in "M", "L" and "XL")

Thanks everybody!

Just a little experimenting with the pattern. You can also see my modified tool ;)

p1010950ke.jpg

Sorry to bother you all with every single step, but evey mistsake I'll make will end up time consuming and costs money ; (which I don't have enough of both, lol)