Sith_241's ABS ATA helmet build

sith_241

Im currently working on an ABS ATA TD suit. I figured i would post some in process photos of the helmet build. I am following Pandatrooper's build...the results are excellent so far. Much better than my last helmet build.

I went with the raised brow trim, as this will be a TD.

Enjoy!

BpJvRl.jpg

oa68Xl.jpg

Gm2Hfl.jpg

hRArWl.jpg

More to come.

Looking really good so far! B)

I`d only suggest to cut the teeth out some more.

Yeah, that is the plan. Just wanted to get the lid ears squared away as they were a bit of a struggle due to how much i trimmed on the lid back.

Does every TD need to have raised brow trims? I've seen several with "normal" brows, example:

-----------

Nevertheless, looks like you've got a sweet build :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Does every TD need to have raised brow trims? I've seen several with "normal" brows, example:

Nevertheless, looks like you've got a sweet build :)

No, there are normal, unraised TD brows of course...but i was going for the raised brow helmet on purpose. I like the look.

Here is some of the armor laid out. Shins are done except for attaching the knee plate and final sanding to clean up openings. I had the rest outside while the E-6000 cured up. The trimming on the torso pieces was a breeze and only took about 45 minutes with a pair of shears and a dremel rough sanding drum. The cat was helping scale the image...i think he needs a big imperial decal or something.

Njqjnl.jpg

7MFf3l.jpg

Here is how i glue the arms and legs together. My personal method is to glue the inner strip onto 1 side first, let dry. Then i glue the other half of the arm/leg on and clamp/tape and allow to dry. Once dry, i attach the cover strip. I have tried to do it in 1 shot a few times but i find it is more work and often produces inferior results for me. I also sometimes use Platruct plastic weld to tack the joints, but find it often breaks due to the E-6000 expanding while it cures. I have had success using plastic weld after the joint is taped up to help hold tough joints. Ignore the PVC glue, it was used on my TD backpack. I dont use it on the armor as its black and messy.

t8tLwl.jpg

On the long cover strips and joints i like to use STRONG rare earth magnets to hold the strip down all where the clamps wont reach. They are also useful when doing the inner strip as well. I highly recommend using tape as well so the joints dont pull apart as the E-6000 does expand somewhat.

rcGxul.jpg

Detail of inside of shin showing the inner strip. I generally glue up the piece and then sand/blend the return so it looks good and fits comfortably.

lHlEul.jpg

another shot.

EtXJ9l.jpg

I will take some more pictures tonight as i start to strap the suit up.

If anyone has any specific questions about the ABS ATA suit go ahead and ask or PM and i can answer questions or take photos of a particular part for you. Overall, the build is great. The fit of the parts is overall excellent.

Update

Decals on, first coat of paint on ears, vocorder and ears

WMuv5l.jpg

9S4Lal.jpg

DDM46l.jpg

Mic tips done

tFlOll.jpg

armor ready for final trim and straps

HvcsCl.jpg

SVYZAl.jpg

QImDxl.jpg

gEprKl.jpg

Coming along nicely!!!!! one question if its ABS why use E-6000?

It is a flexible bond. Stuff like ABS weld or super glue are fairly brittle bonding agents and so you run the risk of the joint cracking or coming apart with extended use. Not to mention they require a fair amount of pressure to bond correctly. The E-6000 is able to flex but still provides a strong bond that will keep the joints together much better.

Looks great! The helmet will be a beauty with your paint skills. Keep up the good work! :duim:

Photo update coming soon. I am re-trimming the ab section because i could literally get 2 of myself in the ATA abdomen, grrr.

Took a total of 12cm off the kidney plate. I did not want to trim too much off the sides of the abs because it would cut into the hip detail lines. Seems to still meet up in the correct spot at least.

Glue should be dry tonight on the snap plates, so i can re-fit it.

I may also take another pass as trimming down the ears. Not sure how successful it will be though so still on the fence about trying to trim down more.

Edited by sith_241

Looking great, man! How do you like the ATA armor build so far?

I'm going to be ordering the armor when I'm done with my lid and am wondering what to expect.

The armor build itself is decent. No major fitting issues and it went together pretty well. There are some funky sink marks on the chest, but they seem to be from the mold and add a nice wonkiness to the suit, and are not noticeable unless you built the thing. I will say the ABS ATA uses is much easier to cut than say AP armor ABS, so its a quicker trimming operation.

Only complaint from me is due to my size i had to trim the heck out of it circumference wise (im 5' 11" 155 lbs). So not really a problem unless you are a skinny jerk like me.

Quick camera photo with first weathering pass on. Rest of the suit is ready for full test fit tonight.

I took photos of the helmet with everything on as just a plain TK, but forgot to upload them so i will post them later...

Until then, take a walk on the dirty side!

o52Dul.jpg

Better photos to come.

Looks like a great build.

I'm serioudly considering an ABS ATA now, and this thread only pushed me further along those same lines.

Yeah, Overall the ATA is great.