I've been searching these forums, but haven't come up with a clear answer as to what ESB ears are painted with.

I assume they're painted by hand same as the ANH with the same colors. The question I have is this; If the ESB tears and traps are decals, and the decals are a slight more blue than ANH hand painted, would the ears be a different color too?

I'm looking for a Testor's color match as close as I can get to TK-4510's ESB decals from TrooperBay.

Has anyone else found a match?

From what I can understand the thought on the bluish hue may be due to age or lighting. I think when they did a color comparison (would have to find the thread - where is Tom & Mike when you need them :) ) - the current thought is that it was probably due to those causes, so using the same grey as ANH should be fine too.

I would go with the same ANH grey Humbrol colour.

n the past there has been some discussion over the decals and specifically their colour, but this photo should clear up a few points. As you see from this pic above, the ESB decal grey is actually VERY similar to the ANH colour as this colour-matched ANH sheet shows (from a 2004 AA Helmet). Again the tube stripes below are very similar in colour, although slightly darker (but then that may be the effects of time). In addition note that the ESB decals had white and blue bands on the tube stripes (below) and not just blue bands on a blank background.

newesb_decalcolour.jpg

Courtesy of Jez

SW Helmets.com

Edited by JoeR
  • Like 1

I found Jez's post from a couple years ago just after posting this. Thanks you all for responding.

Just to be clear, the gray for the ears is Testors 1138, correct?

I couldn't find a satin black for the vocoder and frown, so I picked up a gloss black and a satin clear coat, anyone know if this will work in two layers?

• 3 weeks later...

So, while making a template for painting the ears on my helmet, I realized the details on the ears are different sizes. . .

Is there a difference from left to right ear on the size, or do I have an ANH and ESB ear? The left ear has three (3) bumps and the right has four (4).

I've looked over the helmet details on this site, but can't tell definitively that there is a difference or not.

Help?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, while making a template for painting the ears on my helmet, I realized the details on the ears are different sizes. . .

Is there a difference from left to right ear on the size, or do I have an ANH and ESB ear? The left ear has three (3) bumps and the right has four (4).

I've looked over the helmet details on this site, but can't tell definitively that there is a difference or not.

Help?

The ears are slightly different, one side has a larger rectangular area than the other.

IMGP5794.jpg