ESB TK Helmet Build [*ATA]

Gaps between the face and the cap piece. Not much, but i had to manhandle it and rivet the thing to get it correctly aligned. Fortunately, the ear piece covers it.

Came out ok, but took some work. The AP helmet just slid together and i riveted it in about 5 minutes.

hRArWl.jpg

I will take some more pictures of the inside tonight of the gap which is kind of visible.

Also, be VERY careful about not over-trimming the ear pieces. I over-trimmed one and had to use a spare ear that came with the kit to not have a giant space underneath.

See these photos for about how thick my ear pieces are to conform well.

Gm2Hfl.jpg

oa68Xl.jpg

Let me know if you want any specific photos and i will take them as soon as im home for you.

Edited by sith_241

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I see what you mean about the size of the ears. I trimmed mine down quite a bit more than that but was able to get a decent fit, of course that was before I realized it is wonky as all heck. I'll see how they fit after the rework tonight.

Looks like you had the same problem with the left side trap as I had, I didn't like the angle the brow trim dropped down right there, so I dremmeled some more material out. I also have noticed that the angle of your face is more steep than mine. Yours mostly follows the curve of the cap in front, where mine juts forward a bit more. I think this is also part of my problem which I'll examine tonight.

I would like to see how much material you removed for the opening for your head, ie the bottom of the cap and face. I'm debating on removing more so my melon will fit once I reshape it as well, but am wondering how much would be too much before I start.

As for pics tonight, a shot of the gap from the inside and the head hole would help, and if you could grab a shot of each side in profile that would be awesome.

Thanks much!

Yeah, my faceplate is more symmetrically placed, which may have caused the ear issue.

My faceplate also sits farther forward because i rotated the faceplate down to achieve the high brow.

I removed up to the mold line on the opening. You can always cut a bit more as it will be covered by the neck trim.

Pics to come.

Edited by sith_241

Here we go brother

Close up of ear piece

89C2Zl.jpg

Helmet opening with my approximate final trim. Probably will take a bit more out, but will wait until i put the trim in.

k2BB5l.jpg

Slight overlap inside the helmet. Barely had enough to rivet and screw it together.

bBZACl.jpg

TzPVWl.jpg

xpRtzl.jpg

4pyX0l.jpg

Mine is wonky too.

9Ibxel.jpg

Let me know if you need more.

Edited by sith_241

Thanks Dan, your help has been awesome.

I've drilled out the rivets and am slowly trying to align it to my satisfaction. Your pictures are really helpful man.

I'll post pictures tonight, I'm spending time today with my little girl. . . and trying to rescue the yard from the 100+ heat for the past week, and all of next. . . Gotta love Georgia in the summer.

After thinking about this over night and looking at the reference pictures, I believe that the faceplate is attached incorrectly.

Here is my reasoning:

In these reference pictures, there is a fairly short distance between the tears and the ear piece.

LEFT

molloesb9.jpg

RIGHT

molloesb8.jpg

However, on my helmet there is a larger distance on one side.

Right: Shorter distance

HelmetRight.jpg

Left: Larger distance

HelmetLeft.jpg

My concern is this; if I correct this distance and shift the faceplate back on this side, there is going to be a gap at the brow trim, no? I considered just rotating the faceplate, however the shorter side is at the edge of the faceplate beneath the back, so no shifting can be done there.

If I move the longer side in more, and tilt the faceplate down to bring the top back in contact with the brow this will work. This is, however, just speculation since I'm at work and can't test it.

I am also going to need to remove and replace the tube stripes once I do this. Ah, the joys of being a newb.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

no worries man your helmet is looking great...their look is just the luck of the draw, almost impossible to be on the money all the time...my helmet has a gap between the faceplate and the cap but you know what, many helmets are like that in anh and the esb... it takes a lot of practice to build a helmet. i made so many mistakes on my helmet it is insane but i got out of them all the time and pretty proud of my own helmet. on assembly it is a gut feeling all the time...that is why these things are fun to build....

Well, after putting the helmet down over the weekend to relax with my daughter, I picked it back up last night.

Here are the results:

DSC_0393.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0401.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

Sadly, because when I originally placed the decals on the ears were farther the left tube's decal is now swallowed by the ear. I'll be making a visit to TrooperBay today!

I am satisfied with the repair I've done on the helmet, finally.

Only thing left is to paint the ears and install the visor. . . and replace the decals on the tubes. . .

one on the left veers off a little, but ... I might be grasping here.

Hard to say in a photo...

Looks good otherwise...Your faceplate is downright symmetrical now

Edited by sith_241