Hasbro blasters no longer allowed ?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eventually it would be really nice to see the 501 leaving the hasbro toy in the closet at home.

Ā 

Ā 

Its a rare day that we agree Vern, but this is one of em. :salute:

Oh, and something I wanted to say.

Ā 

501st, EIB, Centurion... all those are different standards for different people. I mean, not everyone will go for EIB, and even less for Centurion. But that doesn't mean they can not be 501st.

Ā 

The mission of detachments is to improve and raise the level of portrayal of their specific characters. Also, it s their duty to help and encourage members to go further with accuracy through investigation, discussion, sharing and, yes, programs as Centurion.

Ā 

Even if I do think FX and hasbros should be left out from 501st standards, I can not see that happening soon if ever. Mainly because it is an affordable or easy or sometimes seldom way for new ppl to join the club.

Ā 

This is a club for everyone, but also, we have programs and initiatives for everyone. Including those who want to be ubber accurate and even wear afros an tube socks as in the 76 (TD joke ;) ).

Ā 

So if anyone want to go for Centurion, then get an accurate E11. If they decide to stay with a Hasbro, then, they are deciding to stay with EIB or just 501st. That simple... :D

Ā 

Free, fair and open for everyone to chose.

Ā 

:D

Ā 

MHO

Ā 

Saludos

Oh, and something I wanted to say.

Ā 

501st, EIB, Centurion... all those are different standards for different people. I mean, not everyone will go for EIB, and even less for Centurion. But that doesn't mean they can not be 501st.

Ā 

The mission of detachments is to improve and raise the level of portrayal of their specific characters. Also, it s their duty to help and encourage members to go further with accuracy through investigation, discussion, sharing and, yes, programs as Centurion.

Ā 

Even if I do think FX and hasbros should be left out from 501st standards, I can not see that happening soon if ever. Mainly because it is an affordable or easy or sometimes seldom way for new ppl to join the club.

Ā 

This is a club for everyone, but also, we have programs and initiatives for everyone. Including those who want to be ubber accurate and even wear afros an tube socks as in the 76 (TD joke ;) ).

Ā 

So if anyone want to go for Centurion, then get an accurate E11. If they decide to stay with a Hasbro, then, they are deciding to stay with EIB or just 501st. That simple... :D

Ā 

Free, fair and open for everyone to chose.

Ā 

Ā 

MHO

Ā 

Saludos

I totaly agree!!!!!!!

Seeing how most kits right now are both cheaper, and look better than FX I sincerely hope we see less of those. The only way to get an FX now is recasts on ebay, and those sellers scamming those kits often seem to charge way more than ATA or someimes even more than a TM kit costs.

Ā 

And with the Doopydoo whole blaster resin kit for only ƂĀ£40 that makes it really cheap and easy to get.

Ā 

I totally respect that some troopers can't use their accurate blasters outside on troops. But that doesn't mean you can't buy a resin kit to keep at home.

eventually it would be really nice to see the 501 leaving the hasbro toy in the closet at home.

Agree that, meanwhile so much nice kits outthere, which looks like a real sterling not much expensiv as a hasbro.

You dont understand what i mean. I think its stupid for me to make an screen accurate blaster when i never can use it for any event here in switzerland. And i think in some other countries like holland or france they have the same problems. You cant walk around with a gun or blaster replicas.

Sorry Adrian, but this was not directed to you in person it was simply meant to be my take on the issue as a whole. I fully appreciate your position in not being able to do otherwise.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Seeing how most kits right now are both cheaper, and look better than FX I sincerely hope we see less of those. The only way to get an FX now is recasts on ebay, and those sellers scamming those kits often seem to charge way more than ATA or someimes even more than a TM kit costs.

Ā 

And with the Doopydoo whole blaster resin kit for only ƂĀ£40 that makes it really cheap and easy to get.

Ā 

I totally respect that some troopers can't use their accurate blasters outside on troops. But that doesn't mean you can't buy a resin kit to keep at home.

What he said !

I'm going to throw my two cents in here. I agree that the Hasbro isn't screen accurate, and doesn't pass for Centurion requirements (which it shouldn't).

Ā 

But allowing it modded for 501st and EIB acceptance I don't have a problem with. I have several reasons for that.

Ā 

1. Cost. Yes, a Doopydoos resin kit for the E-11 is $65.52 (+shipping) (as of today's exchange rate). This does not include the fact that you can't add electronics to it without a lot of problems. I have a Hasbro blaster ($19.99) and a Doopydoos modifying kit ($29.48) which comes to less than the cost of the full kit ($49.47+shipping) Yes I still have to paint it, and glue things on, and cut others off, but it is less expensive than purchasing a kit.

Ā 

2. Size. The Hasbro is smaller than a real Sterling. As I am on the short/small side, the advantage of the Hasbro is that I don't look like I'm hauling around my older brother's gun. I look proportionate.

Ā 

3. Electronics. The Hasbro already comes with all the electronics I need installed. I'm not good with electronics so if I were to put them into a pipe build it would be very difficult. Also it seems that the cost of getting the components and rigging everything up would increase the cost of my blaster by at least $50-$100 or more depending on the system. I know Hyperdyne is a lot more expensive. Most kids like to hold a blaster that makes noise or fires when they pull the trigger.

Ā 

With regards to the FX bucket, I know several troopers that cannot, absolutely cannot fit their head into anything else comfortably. One of our members with an FX bucket actually trooped one day with another bucket to see if it was possible...he ended up with a scratched up nose and chin from the bucket which rested against his face the whole time he was trooping. His FX bucket doesn't do that. So that might be a good reason for not completely outlawing the FX bucket.

Ā 

This is just my opinion, for those aspiring to become Centurion Level qualified, I salute you and perhaps someday I'll aspire to that also.

Edited by tigger68

What I don't understand is this. Why is it that the 501st have such a loose view on the blaster, but on items such as the helmet it is far more stringent, and by this I mean why can you not use an MRCE in its untampered state and which is actually a very nice lid and in view that they would like to encourage larger membership?

Actually, for basic 501st membership I think the MRCE lid can be used off the shelf.

Ā 

Not quite. Per LMO the following changes are needed for 501st acceptance on the MRCE:

Ā 

1) Replace lenses with darker ones

2) Fill in the seam just below the frown with caulk or similar

3) Replace the tube stripes

4) Add correct number of screws to the ears

Ah. I was unsure about the lenses. On the other hand, I never bothered to study that lid.

Ā 

I'm happy stand corrected and I'll try to remember what basic mods are required. :)

I think the FX helmets look pretty bad in comparison to most others available, IMO. If your head doesn't fit in one of the decent buckets, then don't be a TK. I'm not tall enough to be Vader, unless I wear ridiculous looking platform boots, which would be silly. If I went at my height, also silly. I can't get mad or make someone change the costume criteria, it is what it is Same goes for any costume that you can't fit into properly. It also drives me insane when I see a non-helmeted character wearing glasses. It completely ruins the image. I realize people need to see, I wear contacts myself, but once again, wear something with a bucket or mask or get contacts just for trooping. the glasses thing just really kills me. We have so many stringent requirements for costumes, but glasses get to slide by ?

Ā 

Ok, rant finished and apologies to all bespectacled folks out there, nothing personal, just a pet peeve.

If your head doesn't fit in one of the decent buckets, then don't be a TK.

I disagree with this. If you're too small, too tall, to fatt, you can't be a stormtrooper ? Come one... Everyone who dreams about wearing a stormtrooper armor should be able to do it. ;)

Ā 

Oh, and w're a bit off-topic :P

@Benji - agreed as best we can.

Ā 

Actually Kev's ANHv2.5 helmet is quite roomy and should be able to fit even the largest head. Also, I know of at least two plans to upsize a regular helmet to FX size for those that need it.

Ā 

I'd say that FX is depricated and on it's way out of the Legion anyway regardless of any proclamation, esp. as they are not made anymore. I think once an upsized accurate helmet is on the market it will entirely be a moot point.

Ā 

I remember that 5 years ago an out of the box FX was pretty normal and look where we are now. Give it time folks - and until then let's be supportive of our few brothers that have no other option.

Well one point is fact:

Ā 

If we want to speak in proud about sentense like this:

Ā 

How can I join the 501st Legion?

Do you have a passion for Star Wars and helping others? Do you own a professional-quality costume based on "bad guy" characters from Star Wars? Are you at least 18 years old? ,If you answered yes to these questions,then you should visit our Join Us page for registration det.

Ā 

or this:

Ā 

What is the 501st Legion?

Since 1997, the costuming organization known as the 501st Legion has spread the magic of the Star Wars genre worldwide through its authentic-looking costumes, and has become the leading force in fan-based charity events. The 501st, also known as Ć¢ā‚¬Å“VaderĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Fist,Ć¢ā‚¬ is truly dedicated to brightening the lives of those less-fortunate.

Ā 

Than this discussion about a crappy cheap looking hasbro blaster wouldn't be here.

There will be made always better quality parts in future, so why not use it?

Ā 

Also we cant't tell newbies this what is written above and don't do it yourself.

Edited by Turrican

Well, if we bring it down to itƂĀ“s basics, itƂĀ“s just a group of folks that like to have fun due to wearing plastic costumes and playing someone they definatly are not (if i would get a $ for every time i have to laugh when i read that someone mentions "the bad gun would be to heavy to troop all day", i would be rich soon) so .... ;)

Ā 

I wonder what my Sarge would have answered if i would have asked him such a question. :lol: If you canƂĀ“t handle it, get stronger.

Ā 

Ā 

Why not just let the Hasbros in the game for those people that want/need it (or think they do)? If you donƂĀ“t want it, you can choose another way. And from my point of view it will never be accurate as long as it is plastic - itƂĀ“s always a question of a persons preferences.

Yeah,

Ā 

I can see that down to basics, one of the requirements to be 501st is to have a professional quality costume.

Granted.

Ā 

But then, and I am not defending hasbros or think they should be allowed forever, there will always be a whole spectrum on that professional-quality claim.

Ā 

Who can tell that my:

Ā 

mod FX with TE2 bucket + modified pauldron + modified hasbro + leather search gloves + scratch built pack + white look alike boots (not mariachi by the way)

Ā 

is less or more professional than my:

Ā 

TE2 + Trooper1 pauldron + super modified hasbro + rubber chemical gloves with latex hand guards + Kit pack + TKboots

Ā 

I mean... there is much more and more evident stuff to make a costume professional quality than a simple toy gun.

Ā 

As I see it, almost any thing can be made look decent with the proper mods, work and commitment. Yes, it will be decent and not ubber accurate. But as I see it, and anyone that knows me know I go the extra mile in all my builds, there is room in the Legion for the pretty good professional-quality and the ubber accurate prop forgery.

Ā 

What to aim for, well, that is a personal choice as long as it fulfill legion standards.

Ā 

And sorry, but having worked in my armor and same character for 5 years straight, I don't feel weird of funny telling new guys to try to go all the way and be as accurate as they can, or understand that sometimes it can't be done and then pointing them into a "decent" option.

Ā 

The Legion requirements ask for professional quality, not screen accuracy. I know I am not to take that literally, but it says a lot about what the legion aims for in its costuming standards, either we like it or not...

Ā 

my thoughts.

Ā 

Saludos

Ā 

PS. anyway, as has been stated, non of our armors is 100% screen accurate other than the looks (inside and outside), since it was not made in 1976 or used for production.

The point i mean is, we not should hold on was was good 10 years ago.

Come on guys, i know that we not have the same point of view, i understand yours, there is no problem with this pov.

But well is it realy such a big thing to do more as minimal look in the future and try to do it better?

Ā 

And btw, are you think a Hasbro blaster is professional quality??

Edited by Turrican

The point i mean is, we not should hold on was was good 10 years ago.

Come on guys, i know that we not have the same point of view, i understand yours, there is no problem with this pov.

But well is it realy such a big thing to do more as minimal look in the future and try to do it better?

Ā 

And btw, are you think a Hasbro blaster is professional quality??

Ā 

Ā 

Hey bro...

Ā 

Just by reading your opinions and seeing you are Centurion, I know right away that we have more ideas in common than different. Pls, that my word for that.

Ā 

I personally think that a Hasbro blaster right off the box is not the weapon one should have in the Legion. But there is a big "should" there. I tend to think that going accurate is the only way to go. Every single day I think of new mods to my armor, and dream of getting newer more accurate gear.

Ā 

Reality is that not everyone think like that. And also that not everyone can afford to do it, not only talking about money, but also about county regulations, time and skills.

Ā 

And also, reality is that this Club is WAY bigger than the FISD or the MEPD. People in these detachments have in common the bug of accuracy. And work very hard to be more accurate with better gear and all. But we are a minority. Sad but true.

Ā 

So, I am trying to make explain that yes, hasbro should not be allowed for the increasingly high standards of the detachments, but we should not forget why it is still (and will for some time) accepted by Legion standards.

Ā 

And no bro, I don't think that an off the box hasbro is professional standard since a kid can have that too. But a well modified hasbro blaster can make to look really good, and that, IMHO, should not be disregarded just like that. Anyway, as I said before, I am not applying for SWAT over the MEPD cause my modded hasbro it is not up to standard. And, funny enough, I was the one who said we should not allow it to pair up with the FISD Centurion program.

Ā 

Ā 

No hard feeling bro.

Ā 

Just enjoying a healthy discussion!!

Ā 

Cheer bro!

Ā 

Saludos

Ā 

Juan