Original ROTJ Stormtrooper costume

I'm a little late to chime in on this thread but I just had to. Too bad Gino didn't have the same color plastic to make you more color accurate forearm and handplates with. Also, the buttons don't look black to me. They appear to be a dark gray with the bottom two on the left plate being a dark blue and the bottom right being dark blue as well or maybe it is my monitor. I also notice that there are two different sets of boots in the pics. One is white with black soles and the other is all white. I'm guessing that the all white are just for the display and are not accurate?

No, the ab buttons are all black accept three dark blue ones... :D I got that right from John :D

I'm a little late to chime in on this thread but I just had to. Too bad Gino didn't have the same color plastic to make you more color accurate forearm and handplates with. Also, the buttons don't look black to me. They appear to be a dark gray with the bottom two on the left plate being a dark blue and the bottom right being dark blue as well or maybe it is my monitor. I also notice that there are two different sets of boots in the pics. One is white with black soles and the other is all white. I'm guessing that the all white are just for the display and are not accurate?

Ā 

The colour mis-match on the handplates / forearms doesn't bother me - I thought about leaving them in the sunshine for a couple of weeks to try and yellow them a bit (to match the 25-year old original pieces) but decided against it for 2 reasons:

Ā 

1. The forerams and handplates are *replicas* and I want that to be obvious to anyone viewing the display... they are there to fill in the blank spaces and nothing more,and I wouldn't want anyone to think that they are being passed-off as originals :)

Ā 

2. 2 weeks of sunshine (to artificially age the new plastic) is pretty hard to come by here in the U.k, even in the middle of Summer . :lol:

Ā 

The costume had a few accessories from an ANH/ESB original costume, namely the O2 belt-cannister, ESB Holster, ESB Stunt blaster and ANH/ESB black-soled boots.

However, the boots in both of those pics are replica boots as I had to drill a big chunk out of the heel in order for the mannequin's stand to pass through.... so the original black-soled boots are displayed seperately.

ROTJ boots should have white soles (hence the repainted replica boots) and as Paul said, there were some boots with tan-coloured soles, on the location-shoot (Crescent City / Smith River CA) Stormtrooper costumes (from the Endor scenes)

Ā 

And yes, 3 dark blue buttons on the ab-plate and the rest are black. :)

Ā 

Cheers,

John

could you please post pics of the detonator?

Ā 

Here you go... :)

Ā 

ANH_02.jpg

Ā 

To avoid any confusion, I used the screen-name 'Pugman' before 'Stormtrooper'... hence the watermark on the pic.

The O2 cannister is from an ANH / ESB costume that had seemingly been tossed into the same box as the ROTJ costume.... they certainly weren't handled with lambskin gloves back when the movies were being made! :rolleyes:

Ā 

Yep, Paul's right - the helmet is glued together, as it is a 'studio' helmet from ROTJ. The 'location' helmets from the Endor scenes shot in Smith River had to be sturdier and therefore were riveted together, although the ear-covers were still GLUED ON... all ROTJ trooper helmets had glued-on ear-covers and didn't use screws like the ANH / ESB buckets.

Ā 

Cheers,

John

Simply incredible...you honestly have to wonder how many original props are hiding somewhere in a basement/attic/garage...

Ā 

Funny, I just found 7 original Atari 2600 game consoles that are unopened in my attic while i was putting Christmas stuff away. LOL. I wonder if i have any Star Wars props up there!.....I can always hope..

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Would you be kind enough to post a pic of the bottom of the TD, showing the metal clips please? I have a customer that wants them exact to a ROTJ suit. THANKS!

Here you go... smile.gif

ANH_02.jpg

To avoid any confusion, I used the screen-name 'Pugman' before 'Stormtrooper'... hence the watermark on the pic.
The O2 cannister is from an ANH / ESB costume that had seemingly been tossed into the same box as the ROTJ costume.... they certainly weren't handled with lambskin gloves back when the movies were being made! rolleyes.gif

Yep, Paul's right - the helmet is glued together, as it is a 'studio' helmet from ROTJ. The 'location' helmets from the Endor scenes shot in Smith River had to be sturdier and therefore were riveted together, although the ear-covers were still GLUED ON... all ROTJ trooper helmets had glued-on ear-covers and didn't use screws like the ANH / ESB buckets.

Cheers,
John

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes it is and is the same as what Cameron Oakley owned ;)

I just read that back and it looks like I could be saying it is an ROTJ, but it is an ESB MKII as Mark said and what CO owned all those years ago. I just wanted to clarify my comment about the suit being an ESB MKII :D

Ā 

*edit-spelling*

Edited by troopermaster
  • Like 3