Original ROTJ Stormtrooper costume

Hi everyone,

As promised, here are some pics of an original ROTJ Stormtrooepr costume:

helmet2.jpg

The helmet is a background studio helmet which was used for the Death Star II docking bay scenes, filmed at Elstree studios back in 1982.

There are 2 other known 'background studio ROTJ' helmets in private collections here in the Uk.

helmet.jpg

three3.jpg

Costume is 90% complete, only missing the forearms and handguards - replicas here provided by GINO :)

torso.jpg

legs.jpg

big.jpg

Having some fun hunting Ewoks :P

one_1.jpg

two_2.jpg

*** Standard Disclaimer - this is NOT currently at my house, so no uninvited houseguests please! ***

Cheers,

John

WOW. Just WOW.

It looks amazing Thannk you very much for posting the picture. I don't even know what questions to ask first...

ok... I do know.

I've never seen nor have I heard that much, so I figure, why not ask... What does the strapping system inside look like?

I have a few questions...

1. It may seem rude but I gotta ask. How much did you pay for it??? Whats a suit like that worth now??/

2. Can you post detailed pics of the inside strapping?

3. How is the belt attached?

4. what materials did they use for the belt

5. Where did you get the opportunity to own this bad an impolite person armor???

6. What rubber trim is used for the neck of the helmet?

7. If I give you my email address will you take about 200 pics of this thing and burn it onto a CD for me and send it to me????? I will pay postage!! :)

8. Oh and are there any rivets on the bottom side of the chest plate and lower back like the ANH armors???

I just wanna know what kind of strapping is under the shoulder bells if any on your armor, width and length would be awesome, I just want to know if it differs from the armor I saw :) thanks again John

I'm glad that everyone likes it... I'll try to answer the questions as best as I can:

How was the costume acquired? I can't go into too much detail here, but it was the result of a lot of detective work tracing the owner from a 7 year old message on UseNet, and then comparing the photos with detailed photographs of the 2 other background ROTJ studio helmets (Thanks to David O and Pete B for supplying detailed pics, including the inside of the helmet which included conclusive info that I couldn't have gained elsewhere)

I had taken numerous pics of an ROTJ Stormtrooepr costume on display at the Art of Star Wars exhibition in Edinburgh, which proved invaluable in authenticating the actual armour components.

The belt is made from a white nylon webbing type material, which is permanently riveted at either side directly onto the sides of the ab-armour.

There are no rivets / snaps on the bottom edge of the chest armour or back armour - I believe this feature was only on the original ANH / ESB armour.

I'm sorry, but I won't provide any info on the interior strapping of the costume, except to say that the ab-armour and back armour are secured to the wearer with elasticated braces (suspenders to our American cousins), much like the majority of fan-armour... with one notable difference, which I'd prefer not to reveal.

The reason why I don't post detailed pictures / description of the strapping is to prevent some unscrupulous person from making a replica ROTJ stormtrooepr costume, and using my info to create an accurate interior which is indistinguishable from the real deal... and then sell it to some poor sod for a lot of $$$'s

I don't mind posting pics of the outisde of the costume if it helps people make their replica costume that lil' bit more accurate, but I believe some information needs to be protected, in order to assist the authentication of any future ROTJ costumes which might appear. In truth, a movie-accurate strapping system will not make your ROTJ Stormtrooper costume look anymore accurate from the outisde anyways.

Trooperdad - I haven't done a tutorial on the illuminated base, but I posted a thread about it on the RPF which has a few detailed pics of it's construction which you might find interesting: :)

Illuminated Mannequin Base

Cheers,

John

The belt is made from a white nylon webbing type material, which is permanently riveted at either side directly onto the sides of the ab-armour.

I'm sorry, but I won't provide any info on the interior strapping of the costume, except to say that the ab-armour and back armour are secured to the wearer with elasticated braces (suspenders to our American cousins), much like the majority of fan-armour... with one notable difference, which I'd prefer not to reveal.

The reason why I don't post detailed pictures / description of the strapping is to prevent some unscrupulous person from making a replica ROTJ stormtrooepr costume, and using my info to create an accurate interior which is indistinguishable from the real deal... and then sell it to some poor sod for a lot of $$$'s

thanks for the answers John :salute: , i understand about how Fraud could play a big role if you did reveal the real inner strapping <_<

That is the most class in an answer I have ever read. Thank you for sharing an awsome set of pics, and shreding the myth that original owners are to hard to aproach. After reading and reading and serching for the refs and knowledge for ROTJ, there is this thread. Wow. Long Live the FISD.

A pic is worth volumes.

In reality this hobby is a desision in where you want to be. Canon to the letter, or close. I have never seen the smile of a kid vanish with an FX kit, or one get bigger in a more canon kit.

You have give alittle insight into the direction of ROTJ armor with just a few pics. THANK YOU.

I for one FULLY understand an HIGHLY COMMEND you for not sharing everything. That is the right you have in the fact you own a piece of movie history. There are tons of cons and shams, and there here lurking and serching as well. Thats the shame of the hobby.

No one sees the straps anyway.

When (I say when, Sheesh, dont tell the wife) I am lucky enough to find that piece, that prop that every one wants, I would share the outsides as well. Some of the magic would be just for me though...

It has to feel great to look at a Stormtrooper that WALKED in the Starwars universe. Would make me feel like a little kid again. My FX does that every time I wear it. ;)

• 3 months later...

I'm a little late to chime in on this thread but I just had to. Too bad Gino didn't have the same color plastic to make you more color accurate forearm and handplates with. Also, the buttons don't look black to me. They appear to be a dark gray with the bottom two on the left plate being a dark blue and the bottom right being dark blue as well or maybe it is my monitor. I also notice that there are two different sets of boots in the pics. One is white with black soles and the other is all white. I'm guessing that the all white are just for the display and are not accurate?

Some troops had white soles while others had black in ROTJ. I think they even had beige soles outdoors on Endor. I believe they used a different type of chelsea boots with grips on the soles for outdoors, rather than the smooth soles which would have sent the actors flying in the woods :P

I believe they used a different type of chelsea boots with grips on the soles for outdoors, rather than the smooth soles which would have sent the actors flying in the woods :P

Its a shame they didnt get supplied with Ewok repellant though :lol: