Jes Gistang - research thread

I agree with you wholeheartedly Kevin. The changes the upper up(s) want is completely unneccesary especially when the drawings in the comics is inconsistent and change throughout the pages (which is understandable since artists are usually pressed for time and have deadlines to meet. Attention to accuracy, consistency, and details is unrealistic in this regard).

We have a great, officially licensed by Lucasfilm statue of Jes Gistang, which you based your kit on, so I don't understand the problems the upper up(s) is having. Your kit is spot on with the statue and in my humble opinion the kit looks better without the changes, especially the thermal detonator.

In addition, this is the first time women would be able to have 501st approvable Stormtrooper armor designed with them in mind! Why would anyone want to get in the way of that or hold it up?

• Like 1

Hold your thoughts on what is right and wrong for 501st approval...

Soooo on the clones side of things... It appears that a realistic sideshow Rex will become 501st approve-able because it's statue is an actual LFL/Disney licensee reference for the realistic version. I maybe jumping the gun here a little bit but this is the direction they are going. And discussion has already taking place with the LMO.

That means that the LFL licensed Jes Gistang should fall under the same rules and be approved just as we originally assembled it and debuted it at San Diego Comic-con. We made it look just like the statue.

All these other request for it to look like the Comic is completely unnecessary!!!!

Kevin W.

Would be great news if this were true.  Luckily all the mods I've done are reversible!

I submitted the new TD, but agreed, it looks like garbage in comparison to the statue.

So, I just saw the post about the realistic Rex being an approvable costume again... 

That should be grounds for the Gentle Giant Jes Gistang statue to be accepted!

• Like 2

Yep here is the official post on ct.net...

The Legion has recently revised their stance on realistic versions of animated clones.  Below is a statement from the Legion Membership Officer:

"Realistic counterparts to animated CW characters are eligible. But... as of right now, they are limited to those who have realistic official references, such as the Sideshow statues." 

~ Damian TK-826, LMO

With that now in affect. The Gentle Giant Statue of Jes Gistang should have just as much merit as the Comic-Book version(s) of her. 

I purpose in trying to make everyone happy with this:

There should be at least 2 classifications for Jes Gistang, similar to their being an ANH Vader, ESB Vader etc... I say at least 2 there could be 4 because I'm sure soon others will want to make her with a more dirty approach similar to a Sandtrooper and in that case adding clean or dirty after the GG or Comic style should be easy enough.

Gentle Giant Statue of Jes Gistang
Comic-Book Style of Jes Gistang

The only main differences are the Back-plate, Thermal Detonator and the boots... This is how it could read out to explain the differences for both approvals.

GG Statue - would be represented how the kits comes with the more Clone stylized back-plate and the details T/D cover and uses the boots worn at SDCC that match the statue other than adding a strip down the from from toes to ankle.

Comic Book Style - would be represented with the additional option of the less detailed add-on pack-plate, smooth curved T/D cover and lower heeled / flat heeled type boots.

Kevin W.
Edited by kwdesigns
  • Like 1

As for what the gals get, it'll be a mix, I'm sure.

There are those who think the SDCC Boots are too "high-heeled" despite being pretty darn spot on to the statue.

My wife however, loves those boots and is greatly anticipating the approval of the kits to come down. Whatever the end result is, I do hope they cover both versions (Comic and Statue), whether that's through multiple CRLs as was suggested, through different Tiers/Levels (Basic/EIB/Centurion) or some combination. For instance, when we've shown folks pics of what the Helmet will look like once my wife gets hers, they say she should also be able to wear a standard TK bucket for basic approval; something I don't think is needed. I think it'll just take them some time to get used to a slightly different TK Bucket.

- Berbs

As for what the gals get, it'll be a mix, I'm sure.

There are those who think the SDCC Boots are too "high-heeled" despite being pretty darn spot on to the statue.

My wife however, loves those boots and is greatly anticipating the approval of the kits to come down. Whatever the end result is, I do hope they cover both versions (Comic and Statue), whether that's through multiple CRLs as was suggested, through different Tiers/Levels (Basic/EIB/Centurion) or some combination. For instance, when we've shown folks pics of what the Helmet will look like once my wife gets hers, they say she should also be able to wear a standard TK bucket for basic approval; something I don't think is needed. I think it'll just take them some time to get used to a slightly different TK Bucket.

- Berbs

Maybe a truly TK style helmet, just scaled down a couple %.

Definitely!

When Renee did wear my extra TK Bucket there was certainly a Bobble-Head look about her, but she had to have a bucket!! Soon enough we'll have Kev's.

15430667442_c5836bf0de_n.jpg

Like I said, this new style lid will probably just take some getting used to for folks.

Also, I didn't see it mentioned here, but I just noticed the JG armor in the Legion Spotlight. Not specifically this... just that one of the Ladies of the Russian Outpost wore it for the first Russian ComiCon, and Mary Franklin was even on hand! I'm sure she already saw this armor in Person with Kev and Mike as surely it was worn by Stacey, Liz, and/or Vamp, but I just did a double take this evening when I saw it. Probably old news...

- Berbs

Woot, all the ladies in the German Garrison (who ordered) are cheering!

The helmet is still required?

Edited by Dday

Congrats!!

Is there a CRL for this costume now with the final approval details? We have some local troopers looking to build these.

Finally approved was a long trip but you made the road for next femtroopers. So, the boots CRL ask a central tongue in front and not so high heels?

Yes, very much so congratulations, great work. :)

A published CRL would now be a next step (I'm one of the Legion membership Deputies for those who don't know me). New to the Legion costumers are asked to be a big part of making that happen and providing quality images.

Be sure and include reasoning for details and variations, and let's get this posted and documented so the others working on the kit and do so. 

Ok, got a few Q's:

Can we see what this "New Thermal Det" is supposed to look like? I know we'll see the approval pics when Mike posts them, and I'm sure it'll be in there, but I mean do we have specific pics that determined the need for something else? Like, a particular page from the comics or something?

How different is it? Is it completely new parts from the current TD, or is it just modifications to this current one?

Shouldn't it be an option? (Like our E-11's can be Modified Hasbros, but a pipe build is more often than not going to be more accurate). So for this, why we would need something different (either new or modified) when the current Thermal Det from the kit is SPOT ON with the Statue as a reference. I just figure if it already looks fantastic, why can't we keep that as the main one, and include whatever the modification/change is, as an alternative?

- Berbs

Edited by Berbs42

Congrats Stacey (and Michael!)

I'm proud to announce that Shannon is also now approved!

Here's the updated TD. Full submission photos are in my thread.

u7dBpEX.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations to Stacey Bender!

I agree with Kevin that if SS statues are viable reference for approving Movie style armor of animated characters, then submitions based on the GG statue of JG should be approvalble. 

Having the option to build either the Comic or Statue versions is a very reasonable solution.

With so many people including my wife Monika who have built their Fem TK using the JG statue as a reference and not the comic book version, I hope our Leadership can come to a compramise and allow this like they've done with the CT Detachment.

To build this TD, I just took the same length of 2" PVC white pipe, sanded down the printing on it.

Cut two tiny strips (1/4" wide) of white plastic for the "bands" from the cutoff pieces and glued those in place about 1/8" away from the end caps.

Then I measured out a piece of spare flat ABS to leave about 1/8" away from the bands placement - it ended up being about a half inch shorter than the molded control panel, width-wise. It's more of a rectangle than square if you use Kev's measurements.

Simply taped down one end on the pipe, then used the heat gun to bend it around. Wear gloves ;)

Edited by bzb