Jes Gistang - research thread

In the minutes from the last legion command meeting they mentioned that kevs kit might need modifications before its approved. It sure would be nice to know what needs to be done so we all can apply it to our builds.....

It would be very nice to know! I submitted initial photo's for approval at the end of July.

By the way things have been over the past few years, I am pretty much over the legion approval process. I personally have lost faith and confidence in the entire process and the members that are making the decisions. 

501st approved or not there are over 60 sets of fem armor out there. I think it is time the "boys" let the women join the ranks and have some fun. 

There are still members wearing FX armor for crying out loud!

We are going to sit here and knit pick about details of which reference is going to be considered canon. Here is a perfect replica of an Officially Licensed, Lucasfilm approved representation of JG, yet legion has decided to use the comic books as the "official" look. By doing this none of the details remain constant. 

I feel like it's accurate to 90% of the comic strip's panels - even completely leaving out the supplemental material from the statue.

As this is "technically" a TK - 80% seems to be the accuracy level for the FISD.  (Even for Centurion with the leeway given for body types and differences in armor makes.)

Not to mention there's dozens of "styles" of TKs in the movies, so there is truly no single "accurate" TK to model the CRL over.  I don't think it's a fair comparison, as this is clearly an apples vs oranges type comparison.

Based on the requirements listed on the 501st website, along with the 3 years of discussion for this character, I believe the description below should be plenty sufficient for the CRL [with some minor modifications].

Here are a couple changes for the CRL that was posted.

Neck Seal

For 501st approval:

Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to just below the chin line. 

Shoulder Straps

For 501st approval:

These shall be securely mounted in front and may free float in back. They may be affixed with rivets, Velcro, or adhesive. 

For level two certification (if applicable):

No visible rivets are allowed.

For level three certification (if applicable): 

These shall free float in back.

These shall be glued in front.

The plastic shoulder straps need to be held down in the back via velcro that connects/bridges the chest and back piece.

Shoulder Bells

For 501st approval:

One on each shoulder. The shoulder bells are considered effectively symmetrical; they may be worn interchangeably on the left and right shoulders and should have a black elastic strap that wraps around the inside of the bicep. 

Biceps

For 501st approval:

Biceps are fully closed. 

Biceps must be constructed using the butt joint method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

Forearms

For 501st approval:

Forearms are fully closed. 

Forearms must be constructed using the butt joint method on the interior.  Exterior (long) edge must be overlapped to represent the vambraces.

Hand Plates

For 501st approval:

Roughly pentagonal in shape, the hand plates are mounted securely over the back of the glove. As an alternative to plastic, these may be made out of latex or latex-like material. 

Gloves

For 501st approval:

Black in color, made of either rubber, nomex, leather, or leather-like material, with no visible straps or logos/designs. The fingers are enclosed, non-textured. 

For level three certification (if applicable):!

Chest

For 501st approval:

Chest plate overlaps the abdominal plate. 

Chest and back shall be connected with a white or black fabric or preferably elastic strap at the shoulders.

Back

For 501st approval:

Back plate must contain geometric pattern similar to “Clone Trooper†back details.

Back plate shall overlap the kidney armor.

Under Suit

For 501st approval:

Black non-textured material, either one-piece or two-piece construction with no visible zippers or logos/designs. 

Abdomen Armor

For 501st approval:

The abdomen armor has an indented button area with 10 indentations that are vertical and parallel to each other on both sides of the center square detailing.

Ideally there no gap between the abdomen and kidney armor.

A single visible seam line is present.

Two rivets, approximately 5/16"(8mm) diameter, are present on the left side of the abdomen armor, covered by chest/back armor and the belt boxes.

Two male snap on the top right corner and bottom right corner of the ab plate is present, covered by chest/back armor and the belt boxes.

Abdomen armor buttons are integrated and indented directly on the armor. No separate buttons are allowed.

Kidney Armor

For 501st approval:

A separate kidney plate is present, split from the posterior armor. 

Thermal Detonator shall be affixed to the kidney plate, 1 inch above the top of the belt.

Posterior Armor

For 501st approval:

A separate butt plate is required, attached to the kidney plate via elastic or other method. 

Belt

For 501st approval:

Belt shall be made of plastic 

There shall be eleven (6 front, 5 back) symmetrical plastic boxes attached vertically to the belt.

There shall be two larger ammo boxes attached to the sides of the belt at the lateral most portion of the thorax.

Thermal Detonator

For 501st approval:

Shall be attached to the kidney armor (not belt) 1 inch above the top of the belt and include white tube with white end caps and control panel detailing along the center.

The white control panel pad faces upwards, with the controls/round washer style detail closest to the right end cap.

The thermal detonator is attached without visible attachments.

Thigh Armor

For 501st approval:

Thigh armor shall be closed in the back with strain vertical seams.

The knees shall be connected with 1 inch white elastic and secured without visible rivets or snaps.  Elastic end should be covered by caps on thigh armor.

Knee Armor

For 501st approval:

Must be hexagonal in shape with built in straps connecting to the thigh with no visible rivets using elastic or canvas strap.

Lower Leg Armor

For 501st approval:

Greaves close in the back across the seam that lines up with the thigh seam via velcro or snaps

Butt joint is required in the front.  Overlap construction is not allowed.

Boots

For 501st approval:

Boots are above ankle height and made of white leather or leather-like material.

Thick sole with lifted heel.

No buckles or laces.

There shall be no seam on the front of the boot.

There shall be a raised strip down the front of the boot.

There shall be a raised strip surrounding the heel of the boot.

Here is the post

Legion Command Minutes from the meeting at the start of October that read

"Jes Gistang (female Legacy Stormtrooper)

Kit that recently became available requires modifications in order to be accepted.
First amended applicant is currently under review. "

I will say it again. It sure would be nice to know what modifications they are talking about. As Michael said, there are around 60 sets of this armor out there. Assuming even 50 of them are going to try for approval, it would really help them all out to know what has to happen. I will also say that I have completely stopped our build until we know what they are.....

I'm in the same position witht he build. I intend to fill the seams and paint it all, so it would be nice to know what should be modified, before I start painting.

• Like 1

I'm in the same position witht he build. I intend to fill the seams and paint it all, so it would be nice to know what should be modified, before I start painting.

Right here is why I think we should have some idea on what needs to be done. What if you fill all your seams, and they later come out to say something like "The thighs need to be replaced because of the raised line." Your out your thighs front and back, as well as the the little parts the knee straps come out of, AND your time. If we knew what they are talking about in modifications, then we would know not to put the work into a specific part...

Based on the discussion here it really only seems to be the back plate details, as far as the armor is concerned.

If there is more, that certainly would be useful/helpful/nice.

Right now they are making mention about the back plate and the boots.

The funny thing is we have asked them what back plate should be the correct one? In the Comic Jes Gistang is drawn with 2 completely different back plates. And the only image of her boots in the comic is a very unclear distant front view of them. And for some reason they can't choose which back plate I should use. But just tell me it's wrong.

So I too have told them that I have absolute no faith in their judgments and asked several weeks ago to bring this to a world wide vote.

The bottom line here is... IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THE LMO's THINK!!!!! Approved or not, you will see a ton of these ladies wearing this at Star Wars Celebration 7 and HAVING FUN!!! That is what this hobby should be about. But just to be clear Jes Gistang is 100% an LFL character and she meets all the 501st requirements, I made sure of that before I started sculpting it. I just don't know why the LMO's don't see it.

Kevin W.

• Like 4

On 10/12/2014 at 1:09 PM, bzb said:

Anyone have a link to the hardware for mounting the TD?  Stopped by the home improvement stores this afternoon and couldn't find what that connector is.  I have hurricane nuts that kind of look like that, but the fender/washer for the inside of the kidney plate looks unique.

These are called "T"-nuts. ACE Hardware has them.

---------

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

In my own way of passive protest, I have changed my profile pic to the statue of Jes!

On that note, Kevin I agree 100% with what you said. Let the ladies have fun. Val got to wear hers this past weekend and just loved it. Although her approved 501st kit is one of your Bo kits, I think this one will get more use.

Just some food for thought: the 501st allows DARTH VADER to have the wrong chest box and be approvable.

Ya know, the face of the franchise and all.  But certainly, let's debate this some more.

• Like 2

Frankly I think the Legion is unnecessarily dragging their feet on this one, and I don't know why. We've ironed out trickier issues in much less time.

Nevertheless, I'm Georgia Garrison's CO and will be gladly greenlighting Bobby's wife Shannon for trooping with us, with or without an approved CRL and official TK number. We've made bigger concessions for other fangroups, and I will not sideline a capable and willing volunteer from contributing to our activities while Legion waffles over comic book references - which are already notorious for their art variation.

Should Legion arrive to a solid conclusion about what modifications need to be made, I'll certainly work with Shannon to make her kit Legion-approved.

Edited by Kyro
  • Like 3

It might be that people don't want a TK that looks like a woman vs a TK that looks like a man. This is not a femtrooper suit, but a real trooper and in the stormtrooper line. So it's hard to discount it out of hand like the femtroopers.

They do need to stop dragging their feet and let it go, there are sooo many other types of costumes out there, and there are more to come... whats wrong with this one.

• Like 1

It might be that people don't want a TK that looks like a woman vs a TK that looks like a man. This is not a femtrooper suit, but a real trooper and in the stormtrooper line. So it's hard to discount it out of hand like the femtroopers.

They do need to stop dragging their feet and let it go, there are sooo many other types of costumes out there, and there are more to come... whats wrong with this one.

I have my doubts that that's the case. Or at least I hope it isn't just a glorified Boys Club mentality that's holding things up. The backplate objection is a reasonable topic of debate, but it should have been settled weeks ago with clear feedback given to all the applicants and Kev. 

I know some people don't care, but I posted a question on the legion GML forum as to the status of this.

We have a few recruits and members in our area who have asked for info on CRL standards before purchasing.

The back plate detail was addressed along with the helmet and boots when we re-submitted Stacey's photos for approval. 

------------

Here is what we re- submitted for approval (on September 20th).

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Yes I have a small box full of this style back-plate. So ether you can keep the armor the way it currently is with the back-plate that looks like the GG statue. 

Or if the LMO's say they want the back-plate to look like one of here's from the Comic then this is that option. I know she is seen in the comics with 2 differently drawn back-plates but I am only offering this comic style as an alternate option. With my luck the LMO's will most likely choose a 3rd option, just because it would be the one I did NOT make. They seem to be leaning towards the opposite side of everything I have made costume wise within the last 2 years. I'm kind of getting fed up with it.

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

Good work Kevin.  

If we go along with the way other standards are, the "accurate" backplates should only be addressed at level 2 or level 3.

• Like 1