Jes Gistang - research thread

I read and got confirmed the same thing from a few weeks ago.

The biggest problem is the backplate changes each time it is seen. There is 1 super clear shot of the backplate in the comic, but other then that, there is only the statue for a clear shot. So the question is do you pick one vs the other.

I keep hoping I will see something on the legion forums, like a public vote or something.

The backplate is seen in quite a few shots in the comic book.  It is typically always clone styled and not the TK style KW used.  Clearest image of it is in Issue # 0, the first book of the comic.  The Legacy Sourcebook by WOTC also shows the Clone Style back plate.  The backplate in the comics and the sourcebook for the RPG is consistent mostly on this unlike the ever changing bucket which can change from panel to panel in the legacy comic by even the same author.

The action figure for Joker squad and GG statue based the backplate details on standard TK details instead of following the books.

Probably the cleanest of shots is this one of the style used throughout the entire series:

LegacyEra05-Page12.gif

Edited by PanzerKraken

GREAT PICTURE... of someone other than Jes Gistang?

I will let the pictures do all the explaining to you. Here are ALL of the COMIC BOOK resources of JES GISTANG. From introduction to her death.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

We see two shots of Jes back.

Bottom Left

Center, bottom right with the big gun:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 10/1/2014 at 12:21 AM, PanzerKraken said:

The backplate is seen in quite a few shots in the comic book.  It is typically always clone styled and not the TK style KW used.  Clearest image of it is in Issue # 0, the first book of the comic.  The Legacy Sourcebook by WOTC also shows the Clone Style back plate.  The backplate in the comics and the sourcebook for the RPG is consistent mostly on this unlike the ever changing bucket which can change from panel to panel in the legacy comic by even the same author.

The action figure for Joker squad and GG statue based the backplate details on standard TK details instead of following the books.

Probably the cleanest of shots is this one of the style used throughout the entire series:

Here is a shot of Kevs backplate, I"m not sure how this classifies as TK style.

It is the size? the details are 100% not TK is what I can see.

Femaboveview_zpsbcd5c30b.jpg.18f7838404c3f96e3b77aa42a9dab1cd.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 1

That looks right, saw TK style indented backplate in other picture so that confused me.  Don't see much issue with that backplate then unless they are claiming it's got too much detail?  As in the comics we only see basic shapes?

"This is NOT JOKER SQUAD armor... it is JES GISTANG amor. The mens' armor would be entirely different."

Again, this makes no sense.  Jes is a member of Joker Squad and armor seems to be identical in the comics and even in the action figure Joker squad pack, the armor was identical amongst all members.  Only in the GG statue, were changes made to make Jes different.  Even the panels you quoted show inconsistency in the characters armor and it's the same artist.  In the later scenes you can't tell her apart from the other Joker's, the armor has same male dimensions and doesn't even have the thinner female ab section.  That's some major conflicting info.  As I mentioned before, a GML would probably be better a clarifying what is done in such a situation with ambigious and conflicting data.  Books are supposed to be what is used as source material, not toys or statues.  But we got conflicting data in books it raises eyebrows.

Jes somehow was issues special armor no other member in her squad wore.... because a statue said so?

Edited by PanzerKraken

Man, I really don't want to get into this... but there's so many inconsistencies and holes here that it's pretty laughable.  Assuming that the armor is the same regardless of body type isn't a good assumption.  Considering the book description you referred to indicates that armor can change with "alien" body types, why would you think that women would wear the exact same armor as a man, considering very specific anatomical differences?

Bottom line, the base requirements for the CRL to be developed are pretty clearly present.  Additionally:

• The character must be represented visually by an officially authorized Star Wars publication. Full body front/back/side reference must be available. Costumes based only on text descriptions cannot be approved.
  • An action figure may be used as supplemental reference, but cannot not be the only reference for the character.

And lastly, the costume exists, and quite a few women will be submitting this as the Jes Gistang armor.  That in itself is the baseline when reading the requirements documents.  Arguing over the minutiae of back plate details is insanity when we still allow FX armor and buckets to be 501st.

And hey, for the foreseeable future, at least all the femtroopers armor will look the same.  Far more than we can say for our TKs.

Edited by bzb
  • Like 3

Can't afford the Gistang Bucket just yet, but we debuted my wife's armor at Alamo City ComiCon last weekend and it was a hit!! It was essentially a test run, and while a lot of folks in our Squad knew she had it, we were keeping the build under wraps. We followed the others that were posted, and that was very helpful, and I'm sure she'll still round up all the pictures we took during the build into a thread of her own. But here's a few pics from the Con (where we even debuted some Wookies!! Meru Meru and Salporin):

15427808191_efb1c04b23_c.jpg15244437097_60f25bcba5_c.jpg

15430667442_c5836bf0de_n.jpg15244407258_97aab942b4.jpg

- Berbs

• Like 2

Man, I really don't want to get into this... but there's so many inconsistencies and holes here that it's pretty laughable.  Assuming that the armor is the same regardless of body type isn't a good assumption.  Considering the book description you referred to indicates that armor can change with "alien" body types, why would you think that women would wear the exact same armor as a man, considering very specific anatomical differences?

Bottom line, the base requirements for the CRL to be developed are pretty clearly present.  Additionally:

• The character must be represented visually by an officially authorized Star Wars publication. Full body front/back/side reference must be available. Costumes based only on text descriptions cannot be approved.
  • An action figure may be used as supplemental reference, but cannot not be the only reference for the character.

And lastly, the costume exists, and quite a few women will be submitting this as the Jes Gistang armor.  That in itself is the baseline when reading the requirements documents.  Arguing over the minutiae of back plate details is insanity when we still allow FX armor and buckets to be 501st.

And hey, for the foreseeable future, at least all the femtroopers armor will look the same.  Far more than we can say for our TKs.

THANK YOU!!!!

Kevin W.

• Like 1

I can't wait until Celebration 7 and see ALL the lovely ladies wearing their Jes Gistang armor.

Trust me there will be a lot of them....

9671D41A-7F9F-48DD-9F6D-D34464E113B8_zps9i8xloia.jpg.7a49f42074ced9cfa1a7e6634ac30a1e.jpg

You can't deny the growing Empire. LOL

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 1

Looks great Berbs!  Great job!

Kev... thank YOU for building this for the ladies.  I never thought I'd turn my wife to the dark side ;)

• Like 1

Think I figured it out... it looks correct, anyway.

Need some advice on gloves!  I really like the Nomex ones I have for my TK, but I ordered them in the smallest size and they're still too big for Shannon.  Any tips?

Monkey grip, huh?  :laugh1:   Shannon has taken this as a reason to find some fancy leather gloves.  Sigh.  Hopefully she can find something suitable.

Another assembly question: any tips on heating up the shoulder straps to get them to flatten out a bit?  Stick em in the oven for a few seconds?

Anyone have a link to the hardware for mounting the TD?  Stopped by the home improvement stores this afternoon and couldn't find what that connector is.  I have hurricane nuts that kind of look like that, but the fender/washer for the inside of the kidney plate looks unique.

Anyone have a link to the hardware for mounting the TD?  Stopped by the home improvement stores this afternoon and couldn't find what that connector is.  I have hurricane nuts that kind of look like that, but the fender/washer for the inside of the kidney plate looks unique.

We got ours at Tandy Leather. Forgot what they are called though