Jes Gistang - research thread

Well, TK-9820 had started on the chest and back. Don't know if hes been able to work on it any more seeing as how he hasn't posted up anything else. He could be working on it and just hasn't been able to post up any new stuff yet though too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I check this thread every few weeks for updates. My wife is down for this suit once it's finalized, from whomever gets sculpts done; and if it's multiple people, pricing and accuracy and comfort (we're just imagining the restricted movement in the ab/kindney combo) will obviously be the determining factors, even if that means purchasing items piecemeal. Just wondering where everyone is currently at with their portions?

Don't get me wrong, we're patient and get that every trooper has priorities over the Legion (we certainly do! :smiley-sw013: ), but we're just curious!!

-----------

One day, we'll be taking pics like this with us BOTH in armor!!

Thanks!! To all that are contributing!! Thank you!!

- Berban

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

We have a new recruit in the RBG (Redback Garrison) who is very interested in doing this armour she is doing a lot of research atm on this too but i have told her to join the forums her and look for this thread she is keen to get into this so is sh can help in any way she will or if this is further along than that she would def be ingterested in a kit

Femtrooper have u heard how the moulds were going and if they have pulled any armour yet

Would u be interested in being put in contact with this girl over here i have her on FB she very keen adn very excited

Edited by ManFromOz

As far as I know, not a single peice is ready for molding yet. So its still very much in its infancy. Theres still a lot of work needed on this. Once school is over with, I might try and get into this a little bit more and help out. Since this is joker squad stuff, there will also need to be a few male peices as well. Thing I'm worried about is the helmet.... its already hard enough seeing out of a TK and joker squad helmet lenses are about half the size.

Thing I'm worried about is the helmet.... its already hard enough seeing out of a TK and joker squad helmet lenses are about half the size.

It looks like the eyes might be slightly wider (as well as having the ESB-style cut around the bridge), you'd get better peripheral vision and probably no blind spot in the middle, but have much less in the vertical.

It might not matter too much- as far as tripping over small children goes, I usually find myself looking through the teeth to spot them (as do most troops I know).

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it would be necessary to do the abplate in latex, then it would follow the body shape of the wearer. This could be a solution for slim Fem-Troopers to get the Gistang look. A problem could be to get the paintjob right, so it matches with the ABS of the chest piece.

you can add the paint into the latex and then a shine can be applied with gloss sealer

any paint color can be made to match as the paint is acrylic usually.

Personally, I'd think latex is a bad idea. You wouldn't use latex on a TK for anything but the handguards, and Legacy armour should be no different.

Besides, isn't the whole idea of making Jes Gistang armour so we can have a Femtrooper that can be taken seriously? Latex pieces sound like they should be part of the non-canon, booby-trooper armour.

My $0.02.

As an alternative- why not just make it from ABS like the rest of the kit and mod each one for a tailored fit (it's pretty much what you do if your TK doesn't fit perfectly out of the box).

ABS would of course be the best solution, but then female troopers would have to be unhealthy skinny to recreate the Gistang look. From the statues and pics the armour follows the waistline and the lines of the sides to the extreme. Therefore I thought of the abplate as a kind of corsage/corselett to create the desired effect, which is not possible with non bending ABS. I think that using ABS would reduce the possible number of female troopers out there able to wear that thing to a very tiny fraction.

And I have to agree to Vern, with a glossy sealing the latex could work optically adapt to the rest of the armour. Only problem is that latex tends to yellowing especially when painted white.

Ehhhh... most women have a much narrower natural waist size than hip size, or were you talking about something else? ;) When i was fitting my ab plate, I had (have) extra room at the top, but no room at my hips. I disagree with needing to be unhealthy skinny to create the waist. But, maybe I'm misunderstanding. :) I'm excited for somebody to make this armor!!!

I should have made my suggestion a little clearer- if you make the ab from ABS, you could make it larger and flatter than it needs to be, and mold it to fit the wearer. ABS bends very easily with heat. I'm only 130lbs, and I made an FX kit fit me like a glove (I actually have slightly girly hips, and it annoys me that my waist is noticible in my armour- I have oce been mistaken for a girl in a TK).

The same plate could easily be made to fit anywhere from a 40" hip size downward. So long as the lady it's being fitted to has a waist smaller than her hips (most girls are shaped that way), it should be easy to achieve the effect.

Hell, whoever does this could make 2 or 3 versions, slightly different sizes. One for hips 36" and smaller, one for larger.

As for the actual body type needed for a Jes Gistang, it isn't exactly Slave Leia. So long as her hips are bigger than her waist. Doesn't even need to be a classic 'hourglass' figure. Not to be too rude here, but any girl who isn't pear-shaped should be able to do it.

After all, we don't pick on our male troopers about body shape...

There is another thing to note about Jes' armour- it's not as waisted as it appears...

1) Look at the size of the return edge on her chestplate, it's MASSIVE! Also note the chest and back meet flush under the arms (unlike a regular TK). All this makes her upper body look much bulkier than it really is, making her waist look WAY slimmer.

2) Check out the lines on her ab plate- they all slope diagonally inwards from the bottom of her chestplate, then straight down at the waist. These SLIMMING LINES make it look WAY more waisted than it really is.

3) Now for the fun bit! Let's see just how skinny this lady is (with pictures):

---------

A foot wide- my waist is 32", and my ab plate is less than a foot wide.

BUT:

The thing to keep in mind is that that the cartoons and statue are stylised, and not made to exact human proportions (protip: although the statue has a realistic waist size, her butt is 18" across- that's some severe booty!) If you're worried about real women being able to look just like the statue, you're already going to be looking at a very small percentage.

Using the same scaling, her helmet is the size it should be- about 9" from ear to ear, but she seems to be well over 7 feet tall.

In short, the statue is unrealistic- she's not too skinny, she's far too tall.

Here's a quick test: Put your helmet next to your greaves. Now look at the statue and think about how long her legs must be...

We need to adapt the designs we see onto realistic proprotions.

The other problem I see with latex is that it's flexible. TK armour doesn't bend with the wearer (unless you're playing Battlefront).

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Awsome research on that! :) I'm thinking of playing around with craft foam with this. I gotta get through my long stretch at work first, though. Maybe somebody could try it with WHITE DUCT TAPE?! Just kidding!!!

the latex is not surface painted, you add the paint DURING the casting.

then the shine is applied using a clear white industrial sealer

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

You can also use balcony sealing (called coetrans/coelan), which is shiny and will not crack but follow the movement and can even take some rough handling. It is often used in LARP for sealing weapons and shields, where it is applied on a layer of paintmixed latex. I recommend to apply the sealing, any sealing that is, with a brush rather than a sponge. Gets you much more accurate results.

Still even the painted latex may yellow throughout some time.

the paint is impregnated into the latex.

this will eliminate yellowing since the pigment completely is mixed into the

entire latex application. not just on the surface.

and the sealer can be sprayed on.

You can also use balcony sealing (called coetrans/coelan), which is shiny and will not crack but follow the movement and can even take some rough handling. It is often used in LARP for sealing weapons and shields, where it is applied on a layer of paintmixed latex. I recommend to apply the sealing, any sealing that is, with a brush rather than a sponge. Gets you much more accurate results.

Still even the painted latex may yellow throughout some time.

thanks for your input, but the best method is to use latex and acrylic products together.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

• 3 months later...

I'm working on a Ladies of the Legion panel for Star Wars Celebration VI. Is there anyone who thinks they'll have a Jes costume completed and possibly Legion-approved by August?

Hey Dean, I don't think anyone has started on the armor yet (more R&D).

I did an article last year that highlighted some of are great women that wear white armor. Here the link to it: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16812 We will have the first Female Centurion there at C6 (Olga Plaza, TK9061. She is in the Florida Garrison, Everglades Squad).

Hope it helps man. See ya at C6.

• 1 month later...

Gals and Guys, Giovanni here again, first at all, sorry about to be out of this nice thread for a while, from my last post I had health issues, 2 surgeries, but I am now full operational, even I am a 501st member from Feb, my ID is CT6244, I can put all my efforts to help you in all I can.

In the post 53 are my boots project, from then to now, I have more experience and some changes will have to do, the height has to be as the TK boots to be inside the calf armor, with a velcro portion sewed to attatchment, I want to make 2 new prototypes shoes using square and rounded toes, flat and rogged soles (I have now Jango molds soles) so, you will make the best choice.

Another theme you are talking is the flex abdominal for women, may be I have the solution, latex may be hard to work and become yellow with time, I am doing right now the flex abd for Havoc stormtrooper, you can find pics about in CTN or in the 501st forum. Here links of some of my last jobs.

http://forum.clonetroopers.net/index.php?showtopic=17086

http://forum.clonetroopers.net/index.php?showtopic=17066

I will upload the process of the Jes Gistang and squad boots here in the next days. I will start the fem abd too.

Cheers

Giovanni

CT6244