Jes Gistang - research thread

Gentle Giant - Female Stormtrooper Statue

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Gentle_Giant_Female_Stormtrooper_Statue_137588.asp

GGfemtrooper4.jpg

Jes Gistang, the female Corellian who served as a Stormtrooper in the Imperial Galactic Army and was the heavy artillery expert in "Joker Squad." She quickly found a home among the 407th, and was a talented and responsible soldier.

Standing at a bold 1/6th scale and roughly 12" tall, this rarely seen but often asked for character from the vast expanded Star Wars universe is one to watch.

Boasting form fitting, custom armor, helmet at her side and heavy DLT-19 Blaster rifle ready; Jes is looking for action.

A hand painted, hand numbered limited edition that will stand out in any collection.

It will take more than one action figure, but still it's interesting to see this coming out.

• Like 2

Exactly Mike, it has Clone details and Stormtrooper details, but I would have preferred that they kept it more Stormtrooper oriented, I'd have to check the comic (Star Wars Legacy) to see if they portrayed her correctly

I really like the chestplate. Someone should make that the standard for the ladies. The other one woman are wearing is boobalishus.. :)

Agreed!, I have found that some women don't like the Femtrooper look for that same reason, they feel "exposed"

wow, too cool! I'd wear that in a heart beat!!

The armor is pretty true to the Legacy comic. I guess in a hundred years, TKs got back to their clone roots a little.

Julie, you know that should be your next costume! :)

Edited by bjsavage7

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the ladies in my garrison have been seriously discussing this armor. What would it take to get this 501st approved? One of the ladies started a thread on the Flagship Eclipse forums and they referred her back to here. There are five references to this armor as found here:

Star Wars: Legacy 4: Noob - Comic Book

Hasbro Star Wars: The Legacy Collection (Pack: Joker Squad) - Action Figure

Legacy Era Campaign Guide - RPG Guide

The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

Gentle Giant - Jes Gistang statue

This would be a great way to get our wonderful ladies in armor. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by vexander
  • Like 1

Great first steps are:

1. Having a list of references (which you have)

2. Having a picture for each reference (we'll need)

3. Creating a textual list of requirments even in draft form - a CRL if you will

4. Someone doing the actual costume and submitting it

Anyone up for items 2-4?

Great first steps are:

1. Having a list of references (which you have)

2. Having a picture for each reference (we'll need)

3. Creating a textual list of requirments even in draft form - a CRL if you will

4. Someone doing the actual costume and submitting it

Anyone up for items 2-4?

I joined the boards over here so I can actually post and not lurk. I'm working on 2-4. Comic is ordered so I can make scans as that should be the primary source material. Action figures sometimes are stylized and may have details that vary from the original material. If someone has the Encyclopedia or the Campaign guide and can upload any photos from there, that would be a great help.

What we've worked out so far:

Helmet: definitely TK, paint scheme/detailing might be a bit different. Someone here should weigh in and let me know what you can make out from the pictures.

Shoulder and upper arm and hand armor is TK build. I know there are some variants (from movie to movie) and I don't know if one of the guys here wants to take a look and tell me what specific build those pieces come from. (Hey, they might all be the same, I just am not too familiar with the tiny details of TK armor)

Lower arms: haven't been able to find an exact match, but probably a Clone build of some sort is closer as hers doesn't have the same detailing as a TK. I don't want to declare these for the custom-made section until I'm sure.

EVERYTHING on the torso would definitely have to be custom made. The chest plate (and corresponding back plate) is cut much higher and angular in order to fit in the chesticles, and the lower pieces fit almost like a corset, as it curves in at the waist. In addition, someone pointed out that they look as if both are connected fully rather than being open on the sides like a TK. I can't get a good look at the lower back piece to tell what's going on there, though.

As for the two pieces around the butt (I would call it a cod piece, but that kinda doesn't apply), the front piece is a perfect triangle, but with the same detail work as a TK, and the back appears to be perfectly rounded rather than having the funny angular shape of a TK build. It does have the same cylinder on the back, but we'll need a close up to make sure the details are the same.

Belt is pretty close to some TC builds that I've seen. There's quite literally a million variants for Clones, so we may be able to find an exact match, or at least hobble one together from various pieces.

Leg armor: this is where it gets fun. I've been looking at a ton of pictures, and I think the thigh and calf armor could come from a Clone kit without a ton of modding. Unfortunately the knee armor bits are exactly in between the movie TCs and the CW TCs that I've seen, which is kind of annoying. Again, maybe one of the guys over here (or on the Clone Trooper forums) could figure out if there's a Clone build that's the closest, or else these will also have to be custom made.

Boots are all white with white treads. A pair of women's wellies are the exact right shape, but we'd need to find someone who makes them in vinyl or leather and not rubber. Otherwise, a pair of combat boots with a special leather mod to hide the lacing would be the next best thing I could think of. I feel like some Clone Troopers might be able to help us there.

So yeah, that's what I have so far. Mostly a lot of looking at pictures and comparing the details. I'm trying to figure out each piece, and it's a slow process. Feel free to contribute!

I'm a Rebel Legion member simply because there's more options for women over there. I wanted to dress up as a girl and have people actually recognize me as a girl (without full body paint, which is why my Ventress is still not complete). This armor helps to solve that problem. I think it has the potential for recruiting more women to the Empire.

I am going to need some help picking out the details, as I'm not as familiar with the armoured costumes.

I just found this gorgeous picture of Jes in full armor with a pretty epic weapon:

BB-23.jpg

It shows some really nice detail on the leg armor. There is a triangle shaped "seam" at the very top, just under the knee piece. I'll need to confirm the picture when my copy of Noob gets here, but I'm pretty excited. Anybody recognize the weapon?

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

I think the triangle underneath the knee cap is the way to go even if the Gentle Giant statue doesn't show it. If the Joker Squad armor is a homage to Clone Trooper armor and the comic image captures that shin detail, it would make sense to include that detail in fan-made armor. The knee cap would need something flat to rest against and the triangle would fit the bill.

I've been working on item #4 (someone making the armor) for my wife since I caught Paul's first post in this thread. After I skin and smooth the polyurethane foam, I hope to vacu-form the chest, shoulder bells, biceps, forearms and shins/calves this weekend. It'll be a hybrid between the GG statue and the comic images gathered so far. Anyone who can grab close-up spy photos of the GG Jes Gistang back plate detail will be my hero.

I'll break off into another thread for a Jes Gistang WIP maybe sometime next week. In the meantime, here's a little sneak peek:

JGchest.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Since this is my first run at scratch building armor, it may work due to beginner's luck or it may be absolutely craptastic.

Veeeeeery nice!

See my corresponding post on the Clone Troopers' forum for my list of reference photos so far. I'm seeing if any of the guys over there can point me in the right direction for some of the pieces. Also, PM me if you'd like what I have so far of the CRL, despite the epidemic of question marks.

I can't see the back of the GG statue well enough (or find a comic book shot of the back of the legs), but the front of both the upper and lower legs are EXACTLY the same as the movie Clone build. That should make things easier. I've also been piecing together shots of the helmet, and I think ESB is the closest build, with some possible differences in the paint job. I need a close up on the GG statue to see for sure. I swear, at this point, I could build a killer TK. I think I've memorized the CRLs for each version so I wouldn't have to keep referencing them every 2 seconds.

As far as building, I'm going to be working on making my molds this summer. Speaking of which, any TKs/TCs up in North Carolina that would like to help out? (I work at Duke University during the summers and am worried about space) If you have wives, I can return the favor if they'd like custom fitted armor as well. I want to get my pieces as accurate as possible, so I'm taking my time creating the working CRL and sketches before I start the molds. I should say that I am taking notes on the male version as well, including some of the male face characters. Locking down the details is fairly hard with the comic so its a slow process. The comic artists do not make it easy on us costumers!

ETA: Can't tell from the pictures, but make sure you cut the bottom of the back piece at a very high arc. You can see in the comics that Jes's curve is MUCH higher than that of the men in her squad. There's some pics so you can see the shape.

Edited by Dionaly

Maybe this is old news, but I found that there is a pack of action figures including this girl, and while it differs slightly it appears a bit similar and here's a pic of the back plate.

Source: http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCExJokerSquad.asp

LC-2604.jpg