Details In Armor

So as hopefully some of you know I am searching to start my first stormtrooper suit. This forum has really helped me alot! But I've come across a few things wich worry me, because well I want to do everything perfectly.

So my questions are.

What is the exact differance between:

AM-Kits

ATA-Kits

FX-Kits.

I've found out were I could get these armor the point is I am going for a stormtrooper commander, wich one is the richt one?

I've searced all the kits and there are differances.

And will there be trouble when building this kit as I am very skinny and not very tall (5.57 Feet Tall).

Thanks in advance, I realy hope to get started soon and learning more about the stormtroopers everyday.

AM is the new FX. Just has been upgraded. I do know that ATA is also good and I believe offers a lite kit as well( Armor without helmet) AM is for larger troopers so you might want to consider an ATA over that. I do know there is others out there but not sure how they measure up :) I hope this helps a little.

I'm 5'9" and very skinny, and I can tell you, you'll have to mod the hell out of FX get a good fit. It's also the least screen accurate. I'm midway through my build, and I've had to cut away an unbelievable amount of plastic. I severely wish I'd gone for ATA, and if I do a second kit it will be ATA. So much better, in my opinion. FX/AM is great for monster-sized troopers, but a lot of work for us little guys.

I'm 5' 10" and rather slim. My armour is....err.. well It's a recast of something. We think it might even be some sort of ROTJ armour.

If you do have a smaller frame, try going for something other than an FX derived kit. You can get it to fit, but it'll require more fitting and trimming.

If I was buying armour again, I'd go for ATA. It looks really nice and much better detail and definition than my kit.

I can post a link or pics of me in my suit if you require.

Pandatrooper has a fantastic build thread on these forums and he's about your size, so you can look at that for some help.

FX and AM are fan sculpts, and as mentioned are really geared for larger troopers. You can certainly make them fit smaller/skinner folks though - it can be done! They are also designed to be relatively easy to put together, though the thighs (esp. the FX) do take some work.

ATA is a TE derived make of armor. TE is essentially most of a ROTJ suit with other parts that has been modified to be more ANH in detailing. There are many makers of TE derived armor, each making slightly different suits in terms of parts used. Since the original armor was designed for a guy 5'10" and about 165lbs, it lends itself better to smaller folk. The downside is that they can be much harder to trim/build.

The AM has very clean, hard defined lines & definition compared to the old FX which tends to be "flatter" at least from what I have seen standing next to suits who have seen 10+ years in the field. The goal of the new AM suit was to be something between "Idealistic Stormtrooper" & "Realistic Stormtrooper" (something a real solider would have to wear). The best part of the AM is that it feels like it could take a bullet, not really but you get my meaning. :D

While true, its roomy enough for larger troopers, I have seen plenty of "lean" trooper make fantastic looking suits. Truth is, with any suit you are you to have to trim it to your exact body type if you want it to look good. You get out of your suit, exactly what you put into it.

Just stay away from the AM lid. ;) Just request the "lite" kit if you do order one.

On a side note, Ive know ive seen an ATA suit up close, but I didn't have much of a chance to look at it closely.

Edited by Defiance7x13

I'll echo what's been said. I'm tall, so the AM kit was perfect for me. But since you're the right height and build for a stormtrooper, ATA would probably be best. The AM armor really does feel and look solid, but even with the way I'm built it took a lot of work. Maybe it's because I'm not talented. I can't really speak to how the ATA feels, because . . . well . . . I don't use it.

Basically though, you're going to really want to make sure that you take your time and do it right. I rushed on a couple of parts, and they ended up causing me a lot of trouble. Have fun!!

Edited by darthyagi