will people drop other kit poducers if the simon suit comes out?

There will always be advantages and disadvantages...AM is great for big guys, easy to find, durable, affordable, and easy to assemble. The simon suit may be totally screen accurate, but some people just want white and shiny. I think there will be a niche for all makers.

I personally don't think people will simply "drop" what they have and switch. Not everyone can afford to buy another set of armor just because it has the lineage.

Sure, it could be the most accurate armor in terms of screen lineage, but there are many other factors. What price will the suit be? What materials have been used? Quality of craftsmanship / production / manufacturing? Quality of service? Can they deliver? How well did they capture the detail? Did they do a good job with creating molds / bucks? Do they have the equipment and skills to vacuform? Will they include everything you need (rubber trim, etc.) or do you need to buy all of that separately? Will it be trimmed?

Every maker has their own pros and cons and I think its great that there are still and will continue to be many options. Have a very low budget don't care too much about accuracy? You can probably pick up an older legit FX kit for cheap. Want something a step above that? How about ATA styrene? Want ABS? There's ATA, AP, TMC, TM, CFO, etc. A bigger trooper? There's RT-mod and AM. The most ANH accurate so far and great craftsmanship / quality? TM. Want the suit that has direct lineage to ANH, then get the Simon one.

I don't think everyone will upgrade just because a newer more accurate suit is available. Just because a new Lamborghini comes out every year doesn't mean I can't drive my Toyota. It works just fine for what I need. :)

Simon Suit????

just did a engine search for this and only found this Thread. and the search for simon came up "No results found for 'simon'."

Whats this Simon suit??

AMEN!!! Pandatrooper Covered it all. Best Just wait and see.

Simon suit refers to owners name who has a movie used suit and may start creating molds from it and start production of a New and possibley 100% Movie accurate ANH style suit. That is not a small task to do but a lot of work.

Edited by Flash1336

If its 100% accurate then to fit in it everyones going to have to weigh about 7 stone and have big hair and flares aint they lol, ok im joking but the first bit is true - unless its altered to fit a larger frame after purchase.

Weigh about 7 stone

Gracias Rob

FYI:

Stone = 14 lbs or 6.4 kilos

Had a British patient once, i asked him " How much do u weight approximately?"

"15 stone"

!!! O.o " i beg your Pardon???"

LOL :D

I personally don't think people will simply "drop" what they have and switch. Not everyone can afford to buy another set of armor just because it has the lineage.

Sure, it could be the most accurate armor in terms of screen lineage, but there are many other factors. What price will the suit be? What materials have been used? Quality of craftsmanship / production / manufacturing? Quality of service? Can they deliver? How well did they capture the detail? Did they do a good job with creating molds / bucks? Do they have the equipment and skills to vacuform? Will they include everything you need (rubber trim, etc.) or do you need to buy all of that separately? Will it be trimmed?

Every maker has their own pros and cons and I think its great that there are still and will continue to be many options. Have a very low budget don't care too much about accuracy? You can probably pick up an older legit FX kit for cheap. Want something a step above that? How about ATA styrene? Want ABS? There's ATA, AP, TMC, TM, CFO, etc. A bigger trooper? There's RT-mod and AM. The most ANH accurate so far and great craftsmanship / quality? TM. Want the suit that has direct lineage to ANH, then get the Simon one.

I don't think everyone will upgrade just because a newer more accurate suit is available. Just because a new Lamborghini comes out every year doesn't mean I can't drive my Toyota. It works just fine for what I need. :)

totally agree with you, this thread is like a "Trying to sell the bear skin before even killing it" but notheless i am interested in the point of views of people on this "what if" scenario....

plus in all honesty, i would hate to see the other kit makers get no business "just because" a guy named simon is lucky enough to have an original... unless this turns out to be the greatest TK-TD fakery of all time....you can never tell some people are masters at this kind of stuff you know...

well move along and discuss i guess...

Edited by LittleOne

7 stone, eh? So it might fit me without modding? Sweet! :lol:

But seriously, what Pandatrooper said, and that goes double for the budget factor. Unless the Simon Suit can undercut ATA's prices, they'll always have a certain appeal.

The one thing to remember about this suit when it comes to pricing is that he does'nt have to recoup tens of thousands spent on purchasing it in the first place,i dont think the full story needs re tying here but i beleive its been in his family for quite a while so hopefully it will be priced reasonably - cover time spent, molding and plastic costs and anything more is pure profit.

Simon Suit????

just did a engine search for this and only found this Thread. and the search for simon came up "No results found for 'simon'."

Whats this Simon suit??

Because it is not simon, it is Si-Man. I see people keep putting simon and that is not the right name.

For me also a big question of:

-Quality, price, how is this guy ( is he authentic,cordially,honest ect. or is he the opposite),kind of material which will be used ( ABS , HDPE ect.)

-Do i want to give my $$ to someone i never heard befor ( and i'm sure this parts will be in a higher pricerange)

-Will this armor ever be finished so as we all belive it ( something bad can always happen)

-Waiting time ( bad example: only think on TE )

-limitied runs of parts

ect...

Edited by Turrican

Looks like we'll have to have a whole new section then :)

Si man derived armour, lol

One things for sure, look what's happened to TE suits and the amount of folk making it now.

Some legitimately, others by recasting said suits or by Matt selling a million copies of his moulds.

It's only a matter of time before the Si Man kit is recast and offered somewhere at a cheaper price. (To say it won't is living in a dream world)

When that happens, I guess people will switch over more readily.

Si Man may even think it wiser to just sell copies of his moulds? Who knows.

Most people won't truly know the difference between a TE suit and a Si Man suit for a while. It has a great selling point and I may be tempted but we'll see.

I think most people on the look out for a good suit at the time, and who have taken the time to research will be more inclined.

We may see a load of TE sales on here and ebay etc as some will want to swap :)

Who knows.

But I agree with the posts above. Lets wait to see what they do, how they do it, how quick they do it, how reliably they do it :)

screen accurate requires a very small person.

5.7 140-165 lbs.

I am 5'11" and 225-235lbs. I need sidegap covers/shims and my arms are so tight they leave huge marks.

if a maker made a suit with sidegaps built in/ with the proper ANH style and size, and a helmet just 5% larger...

then larger people, but not large enough for AM... would be happy!

It's only a matter of time before the Si Man kit is recast and offered somewhere at a cheaper price. (To say it won't is living in a dream world)

When that happens, I guess people will switch over more readily.

It will happen, but it's sad that even before his armor is out, people are speculating in when it will be recast. Recasting is only worth it if there are buyers for said recasts - meaning people who don't care about SiMan or his efforts in bringing this to the community.

If you want 100% perfect sandtrooper armor THIS is the one to get. You still need additional pieces to make it into a stormtrooper, such as ab details and proper knee plate, drop boxes and other things.

Will the other armor makers be out of a job? Probably not. The legitimate ones may experience a lag in costumers. The recasters just switch over to the new armor and start making that for people who don't give a hoot about the original maker.