Helmet ridge

I've asked this in my build thread, but thought I might get more answers in a fresh thread. My helmet has a very pronounced and visible ridge on it:

------------

I was told ALL helmets have this ridge, to some degree. Looks to me like it's going to be a bit of work to get rid of it. Anyone else have experience with this?

Edit to add:

Tray has sent me a new helmet, and they have vastly improved their pull. There is a very faint cooling line, which is not going to be noticeable at all. I am extremely happy with the helmet and the customer service. I now highly recommend the entire kit. I've also had Tim and Thomas look at it, and they agree that it's a great helmet/kit.

The extra helmet that Tim worked so hard on is going to be sold to a local trooper (don't know if he wants me to say who he is), with the money being donated to a charity that benefits children (we haven't decided which one yet) in the name of the 501st.

I will post a picture of the new helmet at the end of this thread.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this thing wraps all the way around the front and both sides. Apparently I have to figure out how to get rid of it <_<

It's sad, because I'm absolutely thrilled with the kit in every other area. They really went above and beyond to make it simple to assemble, and the quality of the plastic itself is amazing. Just this one drawback to it, and I'm not sure how to make it look good.

I did contact the vendor, first thing this morning, and was told all helmets have this ridge, and nothing can be done. I'm at a loss what to do, other than try sanding it out, as you said.

It's not a huge deal, in the grand scheme of things. I had an excellent transaction, wonderful communication, and as I've stated, the kit is more than satisfactory. I just don't think I will recommend buying the helmet from them in the future....the rest of the kit is tops, though!

Having as little experience as I do, I'm nervous about sanding it down. Will the spot always look unusual afterwords, do you think? Or can I get it back to shiny smooth white?

They are listed as T/MC on this page:----------

Tray is the person I correspond with, and I have no complaints about him whatsoever, other than telling me all helmets have this ridge. I'm hearing from others that it's just not true. Other than that, he has been awesome to deal with. And I do love my kit!

Edited by gmrhodes13

I'm not seeing what's bad in this...

Are you talking about the ridge on the back of the cap-n-back?

That looks pretty normal to me.

Look at my TM bucket... does this look similar, or am I missing what you're talking about? :unsure:

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Noel, the ridge is on the side and front of the dome. It's like a wavy line.

The only explanation I can think of is that the original helmet they pulled this from had runny paint, and MC kept that there as an authentic part of the helmet. I noticed very minor orange peel on the shoulder bell also. I've never seen a T/MC kit up close before. Maybe this "ridge" is unique to T/MC. A couple other people are building T/MC armor. Compare their helmets with yours.

Edit: My AP helmet has a very slight wave on the left side of the dome above the front trap; but it's barely noticeable. I know screen-accurate helmets have hereditary errors, like a bumpy cap and back, so maybe this "ride" is another one of those original helmet errors?

Edited by TrooperTim

OH!!!!

I thought that was just a reflection...

I'm kind of wondering if Tray didn't see what you were talking about either.

That photo looks like you're showing the "ridge" on the back.

Can you add some arrows showing what you're talking about for people who have worked too hard staring at the computer screen already, like me. :P

Thats a cooling line from the plastic hitting the mold and stretching. It is NOT something you want. It IS somewhat common but considered a "B" grade pull. I would email him pics and tell him you want a cap n back without cooling lines or stretch lines. If you sent him a pic of the front he should know that he needs to send you a better pull.

Those lines are apparent on alot of stuff but they can be minimized. On the Cap n Back they can be a real bear.

Did you buy a discounted set or "B" grade???

Edited by TK-4510

Ok, I'm going to be following this thread closely. I purchased a T/MC kit as well, and my helmet also has this line. It's very subtle and I didn't notice it at first, and I can only see it if I hold it under the light at a certain angle...but of course, now that I've seen it I cannot UN-see it and it's the first thing I notice when I look at the helmet.

Mine was not a discount or b-grade.

This was definitely not a "B" grade purchase! haha

I was going for top of the line, something I can troop in for years, and it was not cheap or discounted by any means, I can assure you ;)

I took a couple more pics and added arrows, from both sides:

----------

Tim, you could be right, but I don't want the ridge :(

If anyone can help me get rid of it, though, I trust you completely.

Edited by gmrhodes13

BTW, my build thread is--------- in case you want to tell me how awesome I am doing. Or how much I suck, lol.

Either way, I'm having a blast with the build! I'm thinking of the mistakes I make as "personalizations". It's mine, and I love it!

Edited by gmrhodes13

Ok, I'm going to be following this thread closely. I purchased a T/MC kit as well, and my helmet also has this line. It's very subtle and I didn't notice it at first, and I can only see it if I hold it under the light at a certain angle...but of course, now that I've seen it I cannot UN-see it and it's the first thing I notice when I look at the helmet.

Mine was not a discount or b-grade.

My ridge is definitely not subtle at all, and can even be felt easily. I'm glad to hear yours isn't as bad as mine, as I knew you purchased the same kit.

My ridge is definitely not subtle at all, and can even be felt easily. I'm glad to hear yours isn't as bad as mine, as I knew you purchased the same kit.

Well, now that you've pointed this out I've gone back and had a closer look at my helmet. I had left it until last because I was focusing on trimming all the other parts first. I've discovered two problem areas:

1.) The first looks like that exact same ridge line you're talking about. Sorry for the poor lighting in this picture.

5569565817_6803b538e0_b.jpg

2.) The second is what I found when I turned the cap around. The line we're all talking about basically goes all the way around the helmet (seen in the top row of arrows below). But on the bottom half of the helmet is what appears to be a pretty large divot that I don't think is supposed to be there (seen where the bottom row of arrows is pointing).

5570155568_fd9096c492_b.jpg

Yeah, the front one on yours isn't AS noticeable, but I see it. Mine is VERY pronounced.

I didn't even notice the 2 ridges on the back, until I saw your pics. Just checked, and yeah, I have both of those as well. Ugh.

These are all cooling lines. It appears as though he has not figured out how to eliminate them during the forming process if everyone here has them. All you can do is fill the area and paint the helmet. See the "OMG" thread....--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Wow, thanks for that link, Mike. I was thinking sanding, but filling and painting, huh? Wow, I wish you were in my area to help me with that! lol

A LOT more than I bargained for.

Yeah, Noel, I wish it was lighting. :/

Edited by Sarathe

Maybe I should make a poll on which method is best? haha

Hopefully whatever I learn from this situation will help others, in the future. For real, though, I'm gonna make this thing look GOOD.

If Tray won't send you a replacement helmet then I can help you fix it. I guess this is a normal thing with MC's pulls. Try the easy fixes first. As Terry suggested, sand it down and polish it. Just don't use the sandpaper I gave you. It's too heavy a grit. If need be you can bondo and paint but we'll see how things go. Your TK will be awesome sauce. You have the help of a few expert craftsmen. Don't make a poll to find the answer, be the answer.

I am extremely sorry this has happened. I have always been very cautious about the quality of our kits and I would never allow something I thought I wouldn't want to own get sent out. I've never seen a kit come out that doesn't have some sort of line on it. Maybe it is the process he uses when doing the pulls. I've watched him do it and there has never been a time it didn't happen. Just sometimes it works out better than others. Apparently both of yours are the worst. Jorran, the divot in the back looks like it started pulling faster than it was meant to and stretched the plastic to fast. Mine has it to, just not as bad. :(

I can try and get a replacement but of course there is no guarantee it won't have some problems. At the very least I'll see if I can get him to try and improve it. Otherwise I will stop selling kits altogether. Every time someone complains about their kit it makes me cringe knowing I am responsible for the one selling it.

Tell me what you want and I'll do my best to give it to you. If you want your money back I will pay you for the helmet and shipping. I would love to have them back. With the money you can find someone who can give you perfection. Mike says ATA seems to do it right. I am sorry you aren't happy with the helmets. I still stand behind my statement that there is no kit, helmet included, that I would rather have than the one I own.

I await your PM's Sarah and Michael.

Tray