Split Rivets

Another noob question everyone, i've checked Joanne's, Home Depot, Ace, Lowe's, where can i find split rivet for the ab and kidney parts? Should i order online from some site? Do people have regular pop rivets on there armor? Are split rivets the only rivets on the whole armor found on the ab and kidney parts, while the rest of the armor can compose of pop rivets? Any advice is very helpful!

Look for "brads" (paper clips), much more accurate.

There were no pop rivets on the armor. Not even on the sniper plate. It was glued.

This, when you want screen accuracy.

If that doesn't matter to you, you can use pop rivets and fill the holes with bondo.

On 3/25/2011 at 11:15 PM, Sonnenschein said:

Look for "brads" (paper clips), much more accurate.

That's right.

Go to Office Depot or Staples and grab a box of these.

The heads should be 3/8"... but the measurement on the box is for the length of the brad part. So just be aware of that.

Most brads are 3/8" top, but if you have a question about it remember you're in an office supply store and there is probably a ruler right next to you. B)

Here they are (pre-painted) on my armor.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Nice TM suit, Noel!

But I think the "legs" should be shortended, otherwise, I thnink", they'd pinch you :)

Thanks!

Where do you see a picture of my legs?

I don't have them done yet...

Well, I have one done, and it doesn't pinch.

Thanks for answering this question! I too was trying to find out where to find "Split Rivits"!

I went to Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight Tools, Walmart, Jo Ann Faberics, Michaels.

The only place I could find them was on the internet. I wanted to find them localy instead

of buying them online. The reason is for easily returns in case I have to return them.

Andy

And if you do use split rivets, I believe you'll also need a special tool to install them. Well, special enough that you won't be able to find it at your local hardware store.

The only place I found actual split rivets was 5 minutes from my house at the local mountain True Value. :D haha

This is the small, locally owned store ran by all my mountain-folk friends.

They ROCK... and have EVERYTHING!!!

That was after searching the entire metro of Albuquerque proper.

Then I found out I didn't need them anyway. :P

thanks for the advice everyone, so can i should ask, are pop rivets on ab and kidney EIB approved? Do most prefer snap rivets on the ab/kidney plate for durability? I'm assuming brads are EIB approved so i guess i should add snaps inside while the brads are merely for looks, if that makes sense. :huh:

... so i guess i should add snaps inside while the brads are merely for looks, if that makes sense. :huh:

Makes perfect sense. Yes... you can do that; the look not the reality. Form over function.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone find these online anywhere? Living in Australia, I'm having a devil of a time finding something in the correct size. I haven't found anything that lists brads with the correct cap diameter... 3/8" or 9.375 mm. It's aggravating since I only need some for my thigh ammo belt. If anyone knows of an online source I'd appreciate hearing about it. The above link doesn't work as they won't ship internationally.

I looked on eBay and found the correct size but those particular sellers won't ship outside of the U.S.

Edited by Nassik

Amazon isn't any help. I went through all of their offerings and found a handful of brads with the 3/8" cap diameter. And again, they won't ship outside of the U.S.

Anyone find these online anywhere? Living in Australia, I'm having a devil of a time finding something in the correct size. I haven't found anything that lists brads with the correct cap diameter... 3/8" or 9.375 mm. It's aggravating since I only need some for my thigh ammo belt. If anyone knows of an online source I'd appreciate hearing about it. The above link doesn't work as they won't ship internationally.

I looked on eBay and found the correct size but those particular sellers won't ship outside of the U.S.

Shawn, I popped in to my local newsagent, and found a pack of 30 for $2.50. I haven't measured them as yet, but, to my untrained eye, they look to be the right size.

I'll have to head out to office supply shops in the area, then. I prefer the convenience of delivery but sometimes I've got to get out of the house, I suppose.

Staples does carry them but at this point in the discussion we're referring to non-U.S. based troopers. Staples doesn't ship internationally.

I'll have to head out to office supply shops in the area, then. I prefer the convenience of delivery but sometimes I've got to get out of the house, I suppose.

Maybe you could buy a newspaper, or a coke or something, and make it worthwhile?

If Officeworks doesn't pan out, let me know. I've got a bunch of extras from a Staples buy. Send me a PM with your address and how many you need - assuming it's only a handful - I'll send you some of mine. :)

try officeworks mate. they are very likely to have them :)

I tried Officeworks first, and they didn't have the right ones.

Shawn, I have a heap, and am happy to send you a set. May be a bit cheaper than having Brian send you a set.