Helmet assembly question

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a way to avoid making your helmet bottom entry too small to put on. I am preparing mine and I am going to assemble the cap and back to the face plate. But now my greatest fear is to make the entry opening of the helmet too small. I don’t want to drill too many holes in the helmet.

I have seen all the great tutorials on the site on how to assemble helmets but I was wondering if there is some kind of trick to make sure the bottom of the faceplate is not too far back or too much in the front.

I know how to adjust the top portion of the helmet with the clamps and such but what about the bottom part? How close would you bring the back edge of the face plate to the edge of you cap and back?

Tips, explanations, info welcomed.

thanks

The higher the brow the smaller the opening. B)

mm i wonder how they fixed that problem with the move along helmet then...trim the cap higher to raise the brow to keep the hole size ok?

because everything depends on the pivet point of the rivet so my guess is that the faceplate was put real near the edge of the cap to try to keep the helmet entry hole big enough....

and if you look at the helmet on starwars helmet.comn the dude could raise the brow no problem...

Edited by LittleOne

"Move along" buckets just tend to have really small openings — like mine. :D

helmet_big.png

The helmet on SWH has been "broken" too, so it allows that movement.

You can't move them once they're fully assembled.

"Move along" buckets just tend to have really small openings — like mine. :D

helmet_big.png

The helmet on SWH has been "broken" too, so it allows that movement.

You can't move them once they're fully assembled.

How big would you say your entry area is Noel? i am guessing barely able to get your head in....which is kinda scary....

:(

that is real odd since i am seeing a rivet in line with the tear and another one going under the helmet which to me locks the helmet into place you would not be able to pivot the brow up and down if the bottom rivet is there unless the guys broke the rivets at the bottom...that is the only way to be able to do this but what would be the point of doing something dumb like that....

Edited by LittleOne

On 3/26/2011 at 12:51 AM, Bluey said:

The helmet is old... don't worry, you can't pivot a finished helmet. :D

And my opening is still plenty big.

It's easier to get on than off I'll tell you that.

Look at the ESB TM on the left, bigger opening = lower brow... and my TE2 TD on the right... smaller = higher brow... but still plenty big.

----------

which kit did you prefer out of the one you have there?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed