Armor History Discussion

Now please don't take this as doubt or criticism(this thread is all about facts) but are you sure that wasn't the Don Post statue? They sold in Sharper Image and stores like it.

lol... that shows you what I know... I have never heard about a "Don Post statue." I always assumed that I could have WORN that stuff. :huh:

Good thing I never bought it!!!

(Do you suppose the sales person would have cleared that up before the big purchase?)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol... that shows you what I know... I have never heard about a "Don Post statue." I always assumed that I could have WORN that stuff. :huh:

Good thing I never bought it!!!

(Do you suppose the sales person would have cleared that up before the big purchase?)

I think it would be pretty obvious upon close inspection that the armor pieces are fused together with the mannequin. I still can't believe how much those things are priced at. You could get at least three accurate sets of armor with mannequins for that price.

So is the family tree chart on starwarshelmets.com a fairly accurate one? Are there any revisions or additions that should be made to it?

So is the family tree chart on starwarshelmets.com a fairly accurate one? Are there any revisions or additions that should be made to it?

oooh, blimey dont open up that old chestnut :D

Seriously though if youre talking about the stormtrooper helmet family tree then thats something that could be debated your hours/weeks/months/years.

The jury's out (almost literally since the case is ongoing in the London Courts) over AA 's claims over his rights and whether he has the origional moulds. The page willcertainly be updated dependant on the results of that trial. That page IIRC is at least 2 years old so could dowith updating.

Cheers

Jez

Don Post statue

I saw one standing at the Timothy Zahn Bantam banquet. Sollid as a rock. At first I thought it was a buddy of mine. I wondered at the time if it could have been cast into any of the fan stuff we wear today. Quite possible.

Don Post statue

I saw one standing at the Timothy Zahn Bantam banquet. Sollid as a rock. At first I thought it was a buddy of mine. I wondered at the time if it could have been cast into any of the fan stuff we wear today. Quite possible.

yeah, who knows? :unsure:

Thanks for the welcome guys,

I think we can keep this discussion fair and balanced. There will undoubtedly be those who have their own opinions on this history but lets keep this focused on the facts.

Jax and TK 4510 are on the right path. Matt did make molds of the ROTJ armor in 96/97 with a friend of his who's no longer involved with armor. It was this friend Mike who made a deal with Gino and Dave for the molds. These molds were extremely rough, warped resin casts taken from the real ROTJ armor Matt owned. In a separate deal, Gino acquired the face plate mold from Matt's first screen used helmet that I cast in bondo and the bumpy cap/back mold that Megatron from the RPF (Curtis) made in high density silicone. Gino and his friend Dave made copies of the two molds and eventually returned the originals to Matt. Guns now has both of the original molds which are the only two that have ever touched the inside of a real helmet.

Starting around 2000 or so I started to make a new set of TK armor molds for Matt. These were to more closely resemble ANH parts and ended up being the really nice hybrid ROTJ/ANH set that Guns now uses.

Matt could give you a better account of his relationship with GF but I do know that GF's old molds were sold to AP.

Let me know if anyone has more questions.

Thanks,

Dan

Now I am NOT completely sure these are the original armor pics, BUT the website even named Matt as the owner and was last updated in like 97'. I am pretty sure these are the correct ones as they are missing all the right parts. As you can see they had to be resculpted ALOT to get what we have today. If I am wrong here someone correct me, but I am pretty sure these are it.

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Thanks for the welcome guys,

I think we can keep this discussion fair and balanced. There will undoubtedly be those who have their own opinions on this history but lets keep this focused on the facts.

Jax and TK 4510 are on the right path. Matt did make molds of the ROTJ armor in 96/97 with a friend of his who's no longer involved with armor. It was this friend Mike who made a deal with Gino and Dave for the molds. These molds were extremely rough, warped resin casts taken from the real ROTJ armor Matt owned. In a separate deal, Gino acquired the face plate mold from Matt's first screen used helmet that I cast in bondo and the bumpy cap/back mold that Megatron from the RPF (Curtis) made in high density silicone. Gino and his friend Dave made copies of the two molds and eventually returned the originals to Matt. Guns now has both of the original molds which are the only two that have ever touched the inside of a real helmet.

Starting around 2000 or so I started to make a new set of TK armor molds for Matt. These were to more closely resemble ANH parts and ended up being the really nice hybrid ROTJ/ANH set that Guns now uses.

Matt could give you a better account of his relationship with GF but I do know that GF's old molds were sold to AP.

Let me know if anyone has more questions.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, would you say that the reason TE-2 armor is not as sharp as TE's original armor is because of the molds deteriorating over time? Not because they were completely different molds constructed unknowingly to T* at the time...just want some clarification because of the conflicting input there has been on this topic :unsure:

No, it's because they are recast, altered, cleaned up, at least 3rd gen derivitives.

I'm the one in possession of the original molds that touched the suit.

The tree goes like this in order of lineage:

Gino (original molds that touched the suit)

GF/AP (new molds made from very soft vac pulls taken from my originals and then heavily modified)

TE2 (recast GF/AP, then modifed and cleaned up once again, and supplemented with tour suit pieces)

So are you insinuating that I DON'T have the original molds that touched the suit?

Don't make me make you look even more uninformed.

If you were told that the molds that were sent to Tony were the original molds, then you were OUTRIGHT LIED TO. And I can prove it.

Then what will you think of your master?

"Say it ain't so Matt." :o

So are you insinuating that I DON'T have the original molds that touched the suit?

Don't make me make you look even more uninformed.

If you were told that the molds that were sent to Tony were the original molds, then you were OUTRIGHT LIED TO. And I can prove it.

Then what will you think of your master?

"Say it ain't so Matt." :o

Relax Gino,

You have the first and poorly recast resin ROTJ molds that Matt and Mike made. When I made the new molds for Matt (now TE2's molds) I corrected the molding errors and compensated for the twisting and warping that occurred during the original castings Matt and Mike did. The original resin molds are incomplete and garbage.

Also, the TE2 molds had nothing to do with GF my friend. I made them, you did not. And just so everyone on this board is perfectly clear, the supplemented parts from the tour suit are as follows:

inside left shin

box knee

entire left bicep

entire right forearm

sniper knee

The resin molds that Gino's has utilize two right biceps, two left forearms, an incorrect box knee, and an outside right shin to replace the inside left.

There's your history lesson for today.

Actually, the molds are in great shape and not warped or deviate from the original forms at all.

So what was your basis for the TE2? I know it wasn't another cast from the original suit for a fact.

GF will attest that a good deal of the parts were recast from his molds.

In case anyone doesn't know, Dan is setting the stage here for his new project of taking over trooper production from Matt. That is why he is trying to make it look like the stuff I have is crap.

When people who do have my armor compared it to every other armor out there, can attest that it is head and shoulders above the rest.

Just know Dan, that anything you do to "perfect" the armor will never make it more accurate as you cannot replace all the nuances that were removed from the molds Matt or anyone else had/has.

This thread is not about who is right or wrong. This thread is about history. No one needs to feel defensive or attacked.

Let's flesh out the armor history and then have multiple folks validate / confirm the lineage and history.

Finally, remember for each version of the history (think Matthew, Mark, Luke and John), there should be multiple sources to corroborate the time line. But the essence should be the same.

The original molds that I have were sold back in 1999. They've never left my possession.

See if Matt denies this so I can prove he is a liar here once and for all.

Matt's re-selling of any other molds are recasts and tour suit parts.

The way I read it was that the original ANH helmet molds which are the only ones to touch the inside of Matts first helmet were returned to Matt ,which they were and are now in the possesion of Guns and that you have the original ROTJ suit molds.It was never denied that you have those molds just not the original ANH helmet molds.

That's correct, however the mold I have for the ANH faceplate is a mold duplicate taken back in 1999 before it was modified and sent back to Matt. The reason it was sent back to Matt was not because it was his, (because it wasn't, after it was paid for), but is part of a longer more in-depth story.

The ANH back/cap mold I have is a mold duplicate made off the original before it took the damage it now has currently.