Armor History Discussion

Exodus said:
Clearly armor history has not been carefully chronicled otherwise there wouldn't be such a strong opinion on which material was reference or original. Anyone interested in being a historian and working out the details?

Sure! I'm always wanting to see things hammered out 100%, I'll take it on if that's cool.

JJ

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great. I do want to have several people involved so we can work thru any debate and corroborate the time line.

I've already spoken to Gino and he wants to help as well, so that's two.

Anyway...

Marco armor was the first replica made, I believe coming out in the early 90s. Working from an ad from 1994, they were $1500 and advertised for sale in Toy Shop, where most collectors of the time got anything. There was a fair amount of costume selling in Toy Shop, including horrendous biker scout armor and TIE/AT-AT driver helmets.

For the origin of the TE molds, I'm going to ask Dan for the story.

JJ

Any post that's drops an f bomb will be deleted. Period.

Thanks, Ed. I was in the middle of editing this thread too when I realized that you had beat me to it.

Dan, you are one courageous dude for taking this on.

Gino and Matt, I strongly encourage you (dare I say plead with you) to work with Dan to provide as best as you can your understanding of the history of the armor. We all know that you both have differing opinions, and perhaps there are third parties out there that Dan can dig up to shed more light on all this. Or perhaps not, which means we will have official "gray areas" of armor history, like other histories over the centuries. (Who DID fabricate those statues on Easter Island? and were they recasts?)

Seriously, we should look at this undertaking as an opportunity, and do the best we can to make it as successful as possible.

Thank you.

Matt was the one who got ahold of the ROTJ armor and recast it. That was around 1996 from what I have read. I always thought that Matt sold a recast of the molds to GF who reworked them and then GF either became AP, or sold those molds to AP. I have never been able to figure that part out. During all this its apparent that Matt let Gino get ahold of the original molds or sold them to him. The history from there is pretty hard to hammer out. Matt has not denied that Gino has the original molds of the armor as far as I can tell. I think that Guns now has the molds for the bumpy cap n back and faceplate. I am not sure if the TE2 armor is recast from the original TE molds or if they in fact are the original molds. I doubt that they are THE original molds for the TE armor. Its obvious that the missing parts have been substituted with other trooper parts that have been established as being tour suit stuff.

I have some old pictures that I found online of the (I think) original armor. I went through pages and pages of google and found an old site that was full of holes. BUT, the link to matts armor still worked and the pics were there. I will post those if nobody objects. You will be surprised to say the least.

This will be fun. In the end we will probably NOT know the truth between Matt and Gino, but I love these threads. There's nothing better that talking about ST armor :)

I have some old pictures that I found online of the (I think) original armor. I went through pages and pages of google and found an old site that was full of holes. BUT, the link to matts armor still worked and the pics were there. I will post those if nobody objects. You will be surprised to say the least.

This will be fun. In the end we will probably NOT know the truth between Matt and Gino, but I love these threads. There's nothing better that talking about ST armor :)

Posting the pics would be a good idea, and I would also encourage you to work with Dan on this as well. The only problem with pictures is even though they are worth a 1,000 words, what is really needed is what those words say, and are they reliable? Background information on any pics you can dig up will be most appreciated.

I agree we may never know the whole story, but the education opportunity for everyone here is huge. I would love to be able to tell new troopers where the armor came from. Right now, I feel my guess is not even close, but there are 50 different guesses, and none can be substantiated.

Great thread, great topic, long overdue!!!!

Good luck troopers!!!!

:duim::trooper::duim:

Jumpin Jax said:

--------------

This is one from a Toy Shop archive.

I vaguely remember walking around in a mall somewhere and seeing full stormtrooper armor on a mannequin in a Sharper Image store, and then found it listed in their online catalog, but I don't remember the year. (Don't ask me how many times I circled back to the store to get a glimpse of that armor!)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Now please don't take this as doubt or criticism(this thread is all about facts) but are you sure that wasn't the Don Post statue? They sold in Sharper Image and stores like it.

I vaguely remember walking around in a mall somewhere and seeing full stormtrooper armor on a mannequin in a Sharper Image store, and then found it listed in their online catalog, but I don't remember the year. (Don't ask me how many times I circled back to the store to get a glimpse of that armor!)

TK4999 said:

That was the Don Post statue, not wearable armor.

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020