Another AP Build

Hello everyone, i've been on the boards a little while now, mainly as a TX, but now soon to be a TK. I'm expecting my AP armor here tomorrow and wanted some advice. I know there's a lot of great build threads here, but i've got some questions. Based on your experience, what tools do you use when trimmming? I know everyone has a different opinion on how to hold their armor together, for example, best glue/adhesive, what do you prefer? Best method, snaps, velco, both? I worked on my TX build using an FX kit, but since trimming is involved for accurate armor i know i've got a lot of work cut out for me. Any advice would be appreciated and i hope to join the ranks of Elite status. Thanks for any comments/tips you can provide.

I do... curved "model" scissors for the "bulk" trimming.

Dremel with sanding bit for the detailing.

Score and snap for some straight edges.

X-ACTO for very detailed stuff if needed.

So it's a mix.

You'll get your sea-legs soon enough on it!

Oh, start with the forearms!

score and snap, scissors and cutting blade.

clamp a piece of aluminum 3/4" to the armor as a guide for cutting.

dremel is far too slow, just hand sand the edges quickly with a couple of passes

along the edge.

you'll want to use tape and the inner overlap and finishing strip method for strength and

security!

white colored duct tape works really well to hold an inner finishing strip while glue dries.

you can even use it to hold on the finishing strip glue just washes off with cold water and dishwashing soap.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Dremel with sanding bit for the detailing.

dremel is far too slow, just hand sand the edges quickly with a couple of passes

Oh yeah, for sanding it's too slow.

I use it for cutting and "detail" work. I'm very adept at Dremeling out little corners and such with a Dremel.

Of course I can also cut sheets of foam-core into a perfectly smooth sphere with an X-ACTO... so fastidious isn't strong enough of a word. :P

hope this isn't a silly question but the extra strips of abs in the AP kit, do i cut the finishing strips from those to go ANH armor? Does anyone have a guide of measurements for the finishing strips? Another question, does it matter which part overlaps one another, in other words, do you glue left pieces over right pieces or the other way around?

Edited by TX-8687

hope this isn't a silly question but the extra strips of abs in the AP kit, do i cut the finishing strips from those to go ANH armor? Does anyone have a guide of measurements for the finishing strips? Another question, does it matter which part overlaps one another, in other words, do you glue left pieces over right pieces or the other way around?

Outer parts overlap inner parts for all legs and arms, but if you use the ANH strip method there's no overlapping you need to trim the parts so they butt each other and cover seems with abs strips, you can do overlapping only on the rear for the legs, but for all the arm parts the strips method is ANH accurate for both sides.

Mark