My Testors "Blue" research

Hi all,

Been doing some research on a suitable replacement for Humbrol french blue because it may prove hard to get since it is from the UK i believe. this research is based on internet pictures and not real samples of the paint themselves so this "could be misleading" in all honesty.

But Since then i did some research to try to come to a suitable replacement for that particular using testors enamels.

I was lucky enough to find a source here that has those enamels and they happened to have a good choice of blue colors on the rack.

now i could not get the french blue testors color but i did get these.

dark blue 1111

light blue 1108

bright blue 1110

after some research i came to the conclusion that if you cannot get testors french blue, bright blue is the closest you could get to that humbrol french blue color

another interesting point is that transparent blue 1257 seems to come even closer to that humbrol french blue.

dark blue seems too dark and light blue is too light...

the french humbrol seems a shade or so darker than bright blue

and

transparent blue seems a shade or so darker than humbrol french blue.

if you used testors what did you use for your blue?

Edited by budspencer1971

i was refering more to the tube stripes parts but yes there is a blue color scheme also for those buttons...

it was hard to make out because testors does not really offer any good look at that paint online...i guess you have to get some humbrol french blue paint it down on a scrap piece of you armor than paint the testors besides it and then decide but if you already have humbrol that is not an issue...

just when you run out of it i guess...

Edited by budspencer1971

On 3/9/2011 at 7:33 AM, budspencer1971 said:

i was refering more to the tube stripes parts but yes there is a blue color scheme also for those buttons...

it was hard to make out because testors does not really offer any good look at that paint online...i guess you have to get some humbrol french blue paint it down on a scrap piece of you armor than paint the testors besides it and then decide but if you already have humbrol that is not an issue...

just when you run out of it i guess...

Hello,

Here is a Humbrol conversion chart to other paint.

Andy

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

again i am trying to solve that blue mystery for myself.

like most everyone i tend to agree that french blue is the color of the tube stripes but then again some new photos i have seen seem to suggest that the blue might be of a different shade...

----

if you look at the Dave M helmet here down the webpage the color is blueish with some green in it.

------

I would say that the shade the blue changes depending on the lighting situation on the helmet but it seems that the Dave M helmet photos are correctly lit and do not suffer from shadows of other inteference.

Then again several blues might have been used to pain the helmets, who knows, that is the nice thing about this....the mystery!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

just get the humbrol colors from mike.

it's accurate, and easy to get.

in fact he ships them to you!

there is no mystery to the colors on the helmet.

On 3/12/2011 at 9:32 AM, budspencer1971 said:

I would say that the shade the blue changes depending on the lighting situation on the helmet but it seems that the Dave M helmet photos are correctly lit and do not suffer from shadows of other inteference.

Keep in mind that those are photos of a helmet from 30 years ago, and perhaps it's faded, etc. Eg: some of the helmets are very yellow now, yet they probably weren't as yellow back then during filming. It entirely depends on if you're trying to replicate a specific trooper or helmet.

Keep in mind that if you make them "too green" and you're going for EIB or Centurion, I don't know if that will affect the pass or not. Most people pick the Humbrol as that was the brand that was commonly available at the time during film production in the UK. The Testors French blue is the closest match for their brand.