pandatrooper

HOW to: assembling ATA ABS helmet #1

I have one more ear to do and then paint before my ATA helmet is done. But I have to put it on sideways as well to get my head to fit. However, this thread has been critical for my cutting. Has helped alot!

I'm pretty sure the sideways turn is normal, at least all my friends in ATA armor have to do that with their buckets.

so do you polish with the meguires before painting/decals or after? which meguires do you use. I wouldn't want to use somthing that will wreck the plastic. any help is appreciated!

Polish before painting. I use Final cut for the polish in a beige bottle. Its in their pro line of products. Novus will work too.

Panda,

This looks amazing. This was the first "how to" in my researching.  Thank you so much!  Do you have any tips for worn or chipping effects, and is there any need for a neck seal?

Awesome build.  This will be a huge help when I start on my helmet.  I see where you listed what black you used.  What gray did you use.

Thanks

Great build. Thanks for sharing.

You mentioned what black and blue you were using. What gray did you use?

ATA helmets come with all of the above plus hardware. Foam is not included.

My ATA helmet also came with some hardware I can't find a use for.  Larger bolts, maybe #10, about 3/4" long, with nuts and washers.  Any idea what those are for?

I can't say it enough, I LOVE it when the ears are so tight !   I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO far away from that, a Trooper MIGHT even be able to shoot THROUGH the gap !

Great job,

Dan

I know this is old but how can I shape everything on the helmet? For the eyes and such. Not really sure how this is done but I want this to be my next project for awhile. I do plan on joining so. Think I might start the helmet first just to get that out of the way. Thanks for the info =] Like what materials locally can be bought to get the helmet made?

Do you mean trimming the helmet? Most tools can be seen or described in the photos.<br><br>

I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel for the eye holes. The rest is cut with curved Lexan scissors.<br><br>

You should have no problem buying the paints, brushes, tape, rivets, rivet gun etc. Locally.

Hey Panda Trooper Im new to all this and I was wondering where I could get that kind of paint or if there is any other paint you would recommend I just ordered the helmet from ATA and am trying to get everything ready for when it comes. If anyone else has any options as well that will be great. 

Thanks

Hey Panda Trooper Im new to all this and I was wondering where I could get that kind of paint or if there is any other paint you would recommend I just ordered the helmet from ATA and am trying to get everything ready for when it comes. If anyone else has any options as well that will be great.

Thanks

I just did a ATA helmet and used the "tk supply list" justjoseph63 posted in the getting started section. For the helmet, you only really need gloss black, gray and French blue. You can pick them up from most hobby/craft stores for under a couple bucks each.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hey! Any tips on masking the areas painted? Have had issues with bleed on other projects and was wondering if there is a more malleable type of masking technique or material out there?

8 minutes ago, Brenoza said:

Hey! Any tips on masking the areas painted? Have had issues with bleed on other projects and was wondering if there is a more malleable type of masking technique or material out there?

Use automotive masking tape, it is a lot smoother than normal masking tape and adheres better, also paint white first, that way if there is any bleed through it will be the same colour as the helmet and hardly noticeable.

Question, the part where you trim the "1.25" above the eyes", is that still a step for the 2017 bucket because I am working on mine and to my eye it looks as if there isn't as much material on mine as there is in that photo about the eyes ?

On 8/18/2017 at 10:06 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Use automotive masking tape, it is a lot smoother than normal masking tape and adheres better, also paint white first, that way if there is any bleed through it will be the same colour as the helmet and hardly noticeable.

Thank you very much sir it worked out very good for me btw!

Hey Terry, thanks so much for this build and info! It's really helping me! Question: Does the brow trim attach in anyway to the cap and back edge? Or do you just snug it on there and call it a day? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/7/2011 at 2:18 PM, pandatrooper said:

Completed ATA ABS helmet #1 as delivered to it's new owner. I hope this is a helpful guide for those building a helmet, it just takes some extra time and care and you can build an awesome helmet too. :)

5506875208_373cbc2c02_b.jpg

5506876270_304bdff00f_b.jpg

5506877282_735e5bb802_b.jpg

5506878396_9f29fbbb94_b.jpg

5506881490_4c13ac05af_b.jpg

5506883584_4bf1817f36_b.jpg

5506881490_4c13ac05af_b.jpg

DSC00768.jpg

Maybe a silly question, but did you glue the rubber trim that goes across the forehead?  I had someone build this for me, and it keeps slipping off.  It wasn't glued, and I'm wondering if I should glue it.

I would definitely glue the brow trim down, Ron.  It could stand to be lowered a bit as well.

Reference image

bsnuhuF.jpg            jxu94uF.jpg?1

On 3/7/2011 at 1:49 PM, pandatrooper said:

Teeth fully painted with 2 coats

5506259823_2e44dbefe0_z.jpg

Other details complete (ear rank missing as it was added last)

5506260701_c8a878ffcf_z.jpg

5506274737_12e5aff1ba_z.jpg

He looks like Mr. No Stripes! :)

5506860036_40ef5aa01e_z.jpg

5506861100_3fbcb52c25_z.jpg

For the tube stripes, I hand cut decals from sign vinyl. You can use a brush for painting the stripes, but I like to use an airbrush.

Remove the ears, and apply the template in the correct location (stripes should be approx. 1/4" away from the valley)

5506264725_0ba5b04066_z.jpg

I mask the area with masking tape. I also taped paper in place to avoid overspray on the lid

5506265933_2224e3d9f8_z.jpg

I usually do about 3 coats or passes with the airbrush (I am using Testors French blue in a Iwata HP-B airbrush)

5506864614_8596d1e4a0_z.jpg

After the paint has dried slightly, I peel the template away (I don't wait for it to cure fully because I do not want any puckered edges in the paint)

5506865686_fcb3fe1994_z.jpg

Finished Left side

5506269075_e8eceb809f_z.jpg

Right side

5506868160_1298415241_z.jpg

To paint the vents, I cut some more templates from sign vinyl. I hand drew them for an organic look, and cut them out. Then airbrushed them with black. You could also simply run masking tape above and below the vents and brush paint them, but since I have the airbrush out it was just easier to do this at the same time.

5506271487_37807464d9_z.jpg

5506272631_d7a19d520f_z.jpg

5506273615_695be1081d_z.jpg

For the duct lines, I simply use a round tip brush with black paint to paint the lines in.

5506881490_4c13ac05af_z.jpg

To paint the mic tips, I sand them slightly and wash them in detergent to remove any mold release. I simply stick them face down on some masking tape and paint them black.

5506257161_bacc6025f1_z.jpg

After they are dry, I sand the edges of the tips slightly to make them look a little more "worn" and add the mesh (run some CA glue on the inside edge and press the tips in. Some people like to use a round tool to make it look like they are pressed from the inside.

5506855252_85bec8af64_z.jpg

Installed mic tips

5506258993_7c08830603_z.jpg

For the lens, I cut a notch out for the nose area. The bolts passing through the ears will hold the lens in place. I simply drill alignment holes for them in the lens.

5506859056_7a2ed8479f_z.jpg

5506275687_354f1ced1d_z.jpg

Is there a more in depth tutorial on this method to attach lenses?  I was trying to figure out a way to glue lens in place.   It  looks like you are using posts from the ear fasteners???  Is this in your youtube construction video?