Paintbrush VS airbrush

Hi all,

I know this may end up in a one way debate but i am just curious to see if some people actually used an aibrush to paint the traps and tears and frown on their helmets?

i know it must have been done with brushes at the time but wondering if an airbrush would help spray the paint better and avoid any paint rundowns...

what do you think?

I did airbrush once on an old FX.

I use an airbrush all the time for my other hobby, but, it was just too neat and took too long to mask.

A steady hand and applied in thin layers is the best bet if you want a smooth finish.

I actually go for the rougher look as on the screen lids, and intentionally making something look rough, but right, ain't that easy

:-)

Best wishes

Gra

I use the IWATA Revolution, for all my spraying. I agree that masking takes too long, so I use a bristle brush or decals. I've used paint pens in the past. They work great, but they tend to clog and dry out after a certain period of time.

Good luck and have fun.

I have issues with brush marks. Always makes for fun painting around the house. I had the same issue with my bucket. So I didnt mind the taking time to mask it off,and spray it on.. I did the frown, vocoder, and bumps (I did the bump stripes with a brush) Used decals for the rest and pinstripe for the black bump outline. Then again Im a noob so what do I know... :lol:

This is what I do:

Teeth - flat brush

Ducts - flat brush painted black, cut in with grey flat brush, round brush for vent lines

Temple traps - flat brush painted black, cut in with grey flat brush

Rear traps - flat brush painted black, cut in with grey flat brush, round brush for the vent lines with masking tape on the top and bottom to keep the ends sharp. If I don't have time to habd paint the lines, I hand cut vinyl templates for the vent lines and sirbrush them. I freehand the lines and cut them a little uneven and then airbrush them with an Iwata HP-B.