Restoring issues

OK I am not sure what I am doing wrong.. I hope that it shows up well enough in the picture to demonstrate my problem. I have decided to scrap the overlapping build and go witht the cover strip method. I am trying to gegt rid of the scuffing I made for the original overlap. I have had 3 sessions of progressing 400,800,1000,2000,2400,3200,3600,4000,6000,8000 grit wet sanding following the directions I have read about doing wet sanding. alternating between grits, doing it under running water even giving a light soap clean between grits. I have tried 3 different scratch removers that I have on hand and still this is the best I have managed. It looks good from certain angles but from others it sort of jumps out as different from the rest of the finish.. Obviously the cover stip will cover a majority the imperfection, however, there will be some showing, so I need to figure this out. Has anyone had to do a major repair, say from a fall etc. That hsa had success in a really getting it restored. Maybe Im just going over board and this is acceptable and I should just move on?? I am in dire need of some help... :D

RV7DRMw.jpg

If that's acrylic capped, it's like a mirror, and no amount of polish will ever get it back to that again.

You'll always see something...if you look hard enough.

Which is what you're doing. It doenst look that bad to me.

I maybe wrong but you're talking NASA level Hubble telescope type polishing equipment to get that back.

That said, Applesauce is good for iphone and alike.

It comes in 2 stages. A filler, to fill the little scratches, then a polish to smooth it all out

From what I can see, it doens't look too bad mate

Try applesauce? It's the filler stage you're missing, as you'll always have scratches on there otherwise

-----

Also, PVC restorer used on window frame etc will work too

Meguiars cut polish will take it out. Look at my ANH thigh tops thread in the paint / mod section and watch my youtube return edge videos. I go from using a Dremel / rough file to glass smooth with no scratches visible.

I forgot that you told me you use cut polish in an email... Meguiars is one of the polishes that I have, however, cut polish it is not.. I just looked fine scratch and blemish, so looks a trip to NAPA, Autozone, Advance somewhere like that is in the works today... :) Thanks guys.. Going to get this armor looking right and put together in the next quarter century... :D

I gave Tcut a try which, I think is the same sort of thing as the Maguiars and had some pretty good results. Don't use too much glue on those cover strips like I did. NIGHTMARE! Good luck buddy.