Blasters laws in Canada

Hi all,

I wonder if you can troop in canada with a e-11 blaster?

I know it is a super silly question but we have really severe gun laws and i would like to know if some canadians troopers got in trouble by carrying their blasters around.

Not a lot of people are up to speed on these things and seeing a guy dressed up in white is strange enough to some people imagine the rcmp seeing you with something that looks like a gun walking downtown or something..i am sure you would be asking for trouble..

anyone have any advice on this? i have a feeling that they may remove the handcuffs if they see it is a piece of plastic but you may get the cavity search and end up on the terror list if your blaster is a tad too authentic....

comments?

Edited by budspencer1971

You have to be careful as gun laws are stricter in Canada than many other countries. There are very specific laws against replicas and their use.

The only time I have been stopped was when I trooped at the Relay for Life cancer walk. My blaster was holstered and I was stopped by RCMP. They asked to see it and I started to reach for the holster and they told me to stop. They reached for it and when they realized it was very light and made noises, they were OK with it but they said not to pull it out on the street.

Keep in mind that wearing a "mask" and bandishing something that from a distance looks real can cause people to react in a very cautious way. We did a troop in a mall last week and security mentioned that they are now very cautious and do not allow masks of any type to be worn in the mall since there have been lots of smash and grabs at jewelry stores. This has been prominent in the news with a thief dressing up as Darth Vader.

Our garrison also has specific rules re: blasters and sabers which I agree with (eg: no weapons at school or hospital functions etc.) Check with your local garrison.

Also, just wandering the streets at a non troop brandishing a blaster is a bad idea. Save the blasters for garrison events IMO.

At most events where there are lots of troopers there usually isn't an issue...however I was at Free Comic book day doing a solo troop last year and chose to leave my blaster behind, good thing because as I was taking pics with some kids the police pulled up in front of the shop and asked if I had it with me....well you know how the rest of the story goes, had to explain the event and the 501st, etc...

The best policy is never show up any place unannounced, especially by yourself.

If you're organizing a troop make sure the organizers let everyone involved know what's up. I've heard of guys just showing up in malls or Wal-marts kitted out, unannounced, they usually get asked to leave.

Another thing that can land you in hot water is pointing your gun at kids. This comes up a lot at parades, they'll BEG you to do it, but don't.

thanks folks, nice tips indeed!

Talking about tips, isn't that why most toys have an orange tip . Someone here said he was putting an orange ear plug in the front of his blaster while in the street and would remove it at other places.

I know Badlands Grarrison sometime will attend Titan garrison's event as guest member, since they are very close. so Terry, do you guys carrying the blaster cross the border? is that ok? or youborrow some piece from titan??

I just suggest you do not follow the same path as this guy:

------------

Don't poke a sleeping bear and all that, coz when they awake they tend to bite. ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

• 1 month later...

I had taken my blaster with my along the CIBC's Walk for the Cure in Toronto... Apparently I was the only 501st member to show up, so did the walk with my wife and step-son. I was stopped quite a number of times, for pictures. Not once had the legal issues of the blaster come up, and I even had a picture with the fire department, the way wanted me to sit in the tuck, but I told them I could not sit down lol

We passed by a police officer's function that was happening on the MacDonald Block across from queen's Park, without any problems as well. Most of the people in the assembly looked my direction though lol Was fun to watch and be a part of all in all!

I know Badlands Grarrison sometime will attend Titan garrison's event as guest member, since they are very close. so Terry, do you guys carrying the blaster cross the border? is that ok? or youborrow some piece from titan??

I pack my E-11 in my storage trunk with my costume. I explain at the border that I am attending the con in Seattle and they haven't asked to check the contents to date (knock on wood). If they do, just explain to them that it's a "toy laser blaster". Do not use the words gun, replica, firearm, etc. I do not bring my T-21 over the border.

I have heard of people getting their blasters seized when crossing the border, but it was with large BFG weapons. Again, just be careful and honest with customs when crossing the border. Importing is a whole different issue.

can any of those canadians here post a law from their books on this subject?

lot's of opinions... but what does the law say?

interesting opinions none the less!

can anyone show laws in print re: toy prop guns.

If it ain't broke, don't fix, look at it, touch it, hell don't even whisper its name.... B)

I agree. None of our Garrisons have had any trouble and the folks from Buffalo who come up regularly have no issues either.

If we start poking around and asking questions I guarantee you it won't work out favourably for us.

Best to let sleeping Rancors lie ;)

Heres the law re: replicas. These were revised in the last few years due to realistic airsoft replicas being imported into Canada and used in crimes (yes, that really happens).

-----------

Note the area re: crossing borders with replicas. If you bring one out you can't bring it back in. In regards to people getting their stuff seized, yes i know people who have had airsoft stuff seized, they are black listed and questioned by customs every time and are not allowed to ship import anything of that kind. Every package you ever ship or receive will be opened and inspected going forward.

As stated, best to let sleeping dogs lie. :)

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 4/19/2011 at 11:37 PM, pandatrooper said:

Heres the law re: replicas. These were revised in the last few years due to realistic airsoft replicas being imported into Canada and used in crimes (yes, that really happens).

---------

Note the area re: crossing borders with replicas. If you bring one out you can't bring it back in. In regards to people getting their stuff seized, yes i know people who have had airsoft stuff seized, they are black listed and questioned by customs every time and are not allowed to ship import anything of that kind. Every package you ever ship or receive will be opened and inspected going forward.

As stated, best to let sleeping dogs lie. :)

this is exactly the law that all canadian garrisons should look into.

getting a license to perform at an event looks like it can be done!

as a trooper in canada it would make sense to have this material posted on local garrison websites, and

should have directions to troopers who want to get a "performance license" to carry blasters in public in canada.

the major drawback to canadian troopers is the fact that the replica cannot be returned across the border!

Edited by gmrhodes13

this is exactly the law that all canadian garrisons should look into.

getting a license to perform at an event looks like it can be done!

as a trooper in canada it would make sense to have this material posted on local garrison websites, and

should have directions to troopers who want to get a "performance license" to carry blasters in public in canada.

the major drawback to canadian troopers is the fact that the replica cannot be returned across the border!

Why can I see this going horribly wrong, like for the Dutch guys.

Never poke a sleeping Bear.

The cops here don't seem to have an issue with it.. I think as long as you approach it with a sensible attitude and it is am organized event, the police have no problem, in fact sometimes get in on the act.. You will however always get the odd jobsworth who will go out of his way to beca pain in the neck.. At the end of the day respect their decisions/advice otherwise your troop could be over very quick-------

Edited by gmrhodes13

The E11 is not exactly a replica of any gun, it looks like one yes, but is a fictional issue of a gun. I know that it is based upon a real gun, but I think the laws in Canada re referring to Air-Soft guns, which are identical to the real issue... Not a movie prop.

I know my own gun, does not have a moving rigger assembly, and can come apart easily if tampered with... glue and such could be broken with a hard enough knock. No one had any issues, but I agree with most, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Edited by TK2759

• 2 weeks later...

We did a troop in January for The Altimers Walk for memories and decided to take a walk down Toronto's Bay Street by ourselves and had no problem. I did with the cold though.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Getting the approval would draw more attention to the fact that the 501st members are carrying blasters. This could lead to an overall ban.

I know here inthe US there can be regulations about having an orange tip during events. My garrison just trooped an event where we couldn't walk across the university campus wearing or carrying weapons but they let us have them indoors once security had checked them. I've also been asked to step out of the vehicle while entering a military base (Fort Leavenworth -home to the maximum security military and federal prison) and tbhe driver did some quick explaining about why we had 5 toy blasters in tbe bed of his truck and only 3 of us... I also had to open my trunk during a traffic stop and had the police officer reach for his sidearm when he saw my...still in the box, unpainted, unmodded...Hasbro blaster sitting there. His comment? "You should have warned me you had a blaster in your trunk." Um, its a white and black blaster with an orange tip...still in the box...it just screamed TOY and he was still jumpy. Like I was going to really shot plasma bolts with it.

A word of advice, if you are coming across the border from Canada to troop in the US I would recommend you don't bring your blaster. You might just be unlucky and have it confiscated by customs.