Two Hasbro Questions

Darth Aloha

After two months I finally received my droopydoos v2 kit. Today was my first day with the hasbro blaster on the workbench. I went into work today to get the dremel and all the various attachments but sadly someone burnt up the motor without telling anyone. I guess I should just buy one for myself eh?

I have two questions (For today. There will be more I'm sure)... first is about getting rid of the track on the port side to be able to drill holes. How do people deal integral track below the preexisting holes in the white hasbro. I was going to just grind it off with a dremel sanding drum. If someone has some tips or can point me to a thread here on FISD (I did look... a lot) that talks about getting that area smooth for hole drilling I would really appreciate it.

Below is the area in question:

IMG_4539 copy.JPG

Next question is about the little screw tab thing that gets in the way of the folding stock. I've seen some kits pictured here on FISD with a little notch for that screw tab thingy. Do people cut that themselves? My idea was to just take the screw out and dremel off that little tab and just glue the stock on. Does that make sense?

The screw tab folding stock interference:

IMG_4541 copy.JPG

Aloha and many mahalos in advance for your help,

-Eric

Use a Dremel and grind off the lower t track. Dont go too deep. Try and retain the round shape of the barrel. Mark the position of the holes by copying the spacing fron the other barrel vent holes.

The new row of holes should be staggered to the ones above it. Its easier to separate the blaster halves before drilling the new holes.

Use your Dremel to gring away any plastic obtrusions on the inside where the new holes will be. These can throw your drill off. Mark your centerpoints for the holes on the outside. Drill a small 1/8" pilot hole. The final holes are about 10mm in diameter (By memory). Try not to use a big drill bit for this as you will likely tear the plastic because its thin and it will make the holes uneven and off center. Use a unibit to enlarge the holes.

My Doopydoos kit had a notch cut out for the screw tab. I guess you need to cut one for it with a dremel.

Agreed. I have the V2 Doopy kit as well, and as you can see in the picture below of my pre-painted Hasbro, there's definitely a notch already cut:

5092237932_62c321fd7d_b.jpg

Another option would be cutting the extra plastic "nub" off the Hasbro itself so you wouldn't need to cut a notch in the resin piece. The nub is helpful for lining things up and holding the piece in place for gluing though, so this is just a suggestion for if you don't want to mess with carving into the resin part.

Use a Dremel and grind off the lower t track. Dont go too deep. Try and retain the round shape of the barrel. Mark the position of the holes by copying the spacing fron the other barrel vent holes.

The new row of holes should be staggered to the ones above it. Its easier to separate the blaster halves before drilling the new holes.

Use your Dremel to gring away any plastic obtrusions on the inside where the new holes will be. These can throw your drill off. Mark your centerpoints for the holes on the outside. Drill a small 1/8" pilot hole. The final holes are about 10mm in diameter (By memory). Try not to use a big drill bit for this as you will likely tear the plastic because its thin and it will make the holes uneven and off center. Use a unibit to enlarge the holes.

Oh was the bottom track supposed to be removed then? Err. I didn't cut mine off. :o

As for the notch, I just filed it down untill the folding stock would fit over it.

Funny... I've seen this suggestion from you about removing any plastic innards from behind the holes numerous times but it never sank in. I got impatient and filled my screw holes with bondo. I have noticed that the bondo doesn't stick very well to the plastic so maybe I can easily just dig the bondo out.

I wonder if I use a slow speed and use a drill press that the stuff inside wouldn't be an issue. That way I can clamp the gun to the table for better hole placement. Anyone ever tried using a drill press to drill these holes?

Or I could just forgo drilling the holes and move on with life. Or... maybe I buy another blaster and kit and make two?

Thanks for the help Panda.

Another option would be cutting the extra plastic "nub" off the Hasbro itself so you wouldn't need to cut a notch in the resin piece. The nub is helpful for lining things up and holding the piece in place for gluing though, so this is just a suggestion for if you don't want to mess with carving into the resin part.

I did notice an indentation in the folding stock but no notch. I thought about just taking the screw out and cutting off the tab. Still an option.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll post pictures as soon as I get my hands on another dremel

-Eric

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone... I've got another quick hasbro related question....

Does the alignment of the power cylinders in this photo look right to you? There isn't much room behind them to add wires without having the the base plate extend past the clip housing. I wasn't sure if I should slide it closer to the body of the gun or keep it more on the outside edge near the clip.

----------

Aloha and thanks,

-Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed