Centurion Program Overview

Daetrin

PROGRAM OVERVIEW

The FISD Expert Infantryman program at it's heart was meant to give people who want to do more than the base level of Legion acceptance both a set of standards that while higher on the accuracy bar were also achievable with a reasonable amount of effort and budget.

While this program has been successful we recognize that as the state of the art for stormtrooper-based costuming has evolved and more information is available on how the original props were made, there is a group of who want an even higher bar to reach for.

Rather than increasing the current EIB standards to a level only a few can achieve or not providing any guidance for those with the accuracy bug, FISD has created the Centurion program.

If you the 501st standards can be thought of as "must haves" and the Expert Infantryman program is the first step of "should haves", the Centurion is for those who are continuing their costuming journey and have reached the "next step" of costuming standards. The "may haves" become "must haves" and close attention is paid to every visible detail.

While we recognize the value of "prop forgery" to our hobby, that is not the goal or intent of the program. Thus there will be no concern for what sort of strapping system is used, what connectors are made of, or what sort of plastic helmets and armor are pulled from. The focus will instead rest on the outward appearance of the armor. Are there rivets on the sides where they should be and so on. "Prop forgery" has its place, and may one day have its reward in the form of a badge, icon, or title, but this is not yet it.

WHY THE NAME CENTURION

Because it's keeping with the infantry theme of FISD's "Expert Infantryman" program and also draws from the word "Legion" (our parent organization).

"Centurions often suffered heavy casualties in battle, generally fighting alongside the legionaries they commanded. They usually led from the front, occupying a position at the front right of the century formation. They led and inspired their men by example. They also sought to display the skill and courage that may have brought them to their rank in the first place. It is for these reasons that they often suffered a disproportionate number of casualties."

-- SOURCE: Wikipedia

Centurions can be thought of as leaders in both FISD and the Legion in terms of stormtrooper costuming.

RELATION TO THE 501st CRL and FISD EI STANDARDS

Ceturion can be thought of as part of a stormtroopers costuming progression and tie in to how the FISD forum is structured.

Here is how the forums and programs tie together:

Target Audience: Beginner

Forum: Basic Training

Goal: 501st Acceptance, basics of armor building

Target Audience: Intermediate

Forum: Infantry School

Goal: Expert Infantryman

Target Audience: Expert

Forum: Advanced Tactics and Training

Goal: Legion Centurion

REQUIREMENTS OVERVIEW

Unlike the Expert Infantryman program, and FISD Centurion will be awarded once regardless of how many costumes a person has that qualifies, e.g. there will be no multiple Centurion awards.

Just as Expert Infantryman standards are "should haves" for the CRL, Centurion will have as requirements all the "should haves" of the Expert Infantryman.

We will roll out the program by costume type, first starting with the film canon troopers.

May I suggest that those who have all the "MUST HAVES" be automatically 'promoted' to the Centurion Rank.....that way the rest of us have someone to look up to to lead the charge....

Maybe we could add something like "the ribbed shoulder straps should sit flush to the chest armour, ie glued, and free floating in the back"? As stated, the program is concerned about the outside look of the armour, and this is imho a detail that greatly enhances the outside look.

Edited by Locitus

Yeah, glued in the front, floating in the back. You know what I mean. ;)

:P

I knew what you meant , and I knew that you knew what you meant. I just wanted everyone else to know what you and I knew you meant. :DB)

Liking this Paul. liking it a lot. B)

Who do I send the pics to? ;)

MEPD has their requirements list already set. We're *this* close to doing so for Centurion. We'll roll out ANH Stunt first, followed fast by the rest of the canon costumes.

Keep an eye on this forum as we're reformatting *all* of the requirements lists in to one spot to make it easier to see. When the time comes, there will be a separate request thread, just like for EIB.

Almost there... :)

:P

I knew what you meant , and I knew that you knew what you meant. I just wanted everyone else to know what you and I knew you meant. :DB)

I knew that! ;):lol:B):D

I saw the requirements for SWAT on MEPD, my question is: for larger troopers that use a shim, how do we put the rivets (or brads) on the left side?

Edited by v7sg

I saw the requirements for SWAT on MEPD, my question is: for larger troopers that use a shim, how do we put the rivets (or brads) on the left side?

I would think, butting the shim, and having a good strapping to keep it together despite the cut in the shim would make you able to put the the rivets/brads in the shims on either side of the cut. If you do this, I'd personally think it would be a good idea to maybe try to level out (maybe with some putty?) the hight difference that occurs when the shim is put in from the back, to make the shim more invisible from the outside.

Great idea...Sorta reminds me of the Lancer Status for scout troopers.... Very high standards that only a few have made.

Let me know how to apply.

TMC

I'm looking forward to achieving this! Since I am/was a bigger trooper,PS Atkins works! I'm 20lbs smaller :D! here are my pics with shims/rivets:

SA400119.jpg

if this is accepted then it is only a trip to get rivets/brads for me

Do I need to get my EIB before Centurion? I've had the suit good to go about 2 years now, I just never applied for the EIB.

How the requirements are structured is that one is a superset of the other. Just like EI adds on to the 501st standards, Centurion adds on to EI. Every Centurion will thus be both 501st approved and EI.

Troopers can opt to go Centurion from the start or build their suit in stages, e.g. start at Crl, then go EI, then go Centurion.

Just like how today people can go EI as their 501st submission.

This is also the reason why we set it up that Centurion can't conflict with EI.

So are we going to have a guidline of what close up shots will need to be taken?

So if we decide on a glued sniper plate etc, then we need a close up of the sniper plate, right?

Free floating shoulder straps, so we need a shot of that.

Stud assembly joining left side of torso, close up of that.

Single right side popper, close up of that.

I'm only asking as I never went for EIB, but I may when this new one is finished and also try and go for this Centurion look too :)

It's just at the moment I don't know how to submit an application for EIB even.

So the SE-14R blaster isn't even an option for EIB or Centurion? I see its acceptable for a 'canon' TK what blaster are accepable for a tk If that's the case we need to change the header of our forums. The one we ALL see at the top of our pages with a TK aiming with a SE-14R. Plus Daetrin, change your avatar pic too. Set a good example for us. :lol:

Great catch! Historically it's been an approved "may have" for the EI ANH Hero based on the promo pix, and I have an ANH Hero EI. Sporting it for my second ESB EI while not screen canon is an FISD indulgence and in celebration of the 30th of ESB. I used the SE-14R as it's our "mascot" if you will, just like JDRF is our adopted charity.

Will it be OK for Centurion? ANH Hero for sure, up to vote for other costumes though I'd think it would mainly be open to TKC, as ICN will probably mandate only a flamethrower for Centurion.

So are we going to have a guidline of what close up shots will need to be taken?

Even though he's not deployed as S.W.A.T. just yet, AND even though it's on the MEPD, Rolf's submission for our "elite +" program is just about dead on perfect for submission pics. I would guess it's the same for here... basically every major point that is a difference between "Legion," "EIB" and "Centurion" will be photographed.

• 1 month later...

Giving this a bump . . .

Now that the ANH Stunt requirements are up and the rest will be up by the end of the month, I think it's a great idea to have a published checklist as to which photos need to be supplied. Should also include details like photo angles, recommend lighting conditions, photo resolution, closeups, etc. In my day job, setting down requirements without also setting down how those requirements will be verified means that the job is only half-done. :unsure:

Rolf's submission seems like a good place to start. After all, why invent what you can simply plagarize? :P

If anyone is wondering - I'd take this on but I'm already on the hook for tuning up the requirements language for the standards as they are approved, plus I don't have the photography background to make intelligent recommendations.