Bluey's TM 1.5mm ESB TK Build[*TM]

None of the fixings you have are the same as the original hardware.

I personally would just use your standard strapping kit. I honestly cannot see the point of going to the trouble of making it look like you have the original strapping inside only to use something totally different :wacko:

The original strapping works, so does the standard. Choose one, you must :yoda::D

Okay... I see what you're saying!

(this is coming after my last PM btw...)

Yes then, I want to keep and use the standard strapping system still.

All I want to do is add the rivets and snap on the side to be there as show. So I can do that for show, then add the strapping inside.

Is this... or am I... making sense? :lol:

So basically do this...

strapping-look.jpg

If this all makes sense I go back to my question above... do the rivets I have look right for the side?

i.e., my end goal is to be able to go EIB with all of the things needed for that.

IF that means I should use a different system for strapping to make it 1) better or 2) possibly easier in the long run... then that's what I should do.

I've not touched the armor yet, so this is when to decide. B)

By putting the rives down the side and adding a few snaps, you are only doing half the job of trying to recreate the original strapping. Anyone who is familiar with screen used suits will be able to tell you don't have the original strapping fitted inside your armour so who are you trying to fool?

If you want to put the rivets you have down the sides then do it. It won't make your kit look any better for doing it in my opinion. Like I said, I don't get it myself. Either have original strapping or don't.

So is this suit that Mark did with the rivets on the side done with original strapping?

This is what (I thought) I was trying to do... but I realize I may be missing something completely.

DSCF3539.jpg

DSCF3535.jpg

It looks like Mark was trying to do the same thing you want to do, but used the wrong kind of hardware.

I personally would never use a replica for reference. If you want to make your armour look like it has original strapping you should be looking at the LFL archive photos. After all, those are the suits you are trying to replicate, not another replica. That's how people get it so wrong. They see something and copy it, then everyone does the same and think it's the right way to do it because so and so did it.

If you want to buld your kit to achieve EIB then do whatever is necessary. I am not familiar with whatever the requirements are, nor do I care. Only ANH screen accuracy all the way for me baby :D

If you want to buld your kit to achieve EIB then do whatever is necessary. I am not familiar with whatever the requirements are, nor do I care. Only ANH screen accuracy all the way for me baby :D

Okay! That's where my communication was faltering then. :D

SO... I guess my question is, do I have the right hardware (i.e., split rivets and snaps) for the outside if I only care about the outside?

Hi Neol, on my TM 2 mm i was thinking of showing the more accurate split rivits and also having the the screws showing that go in to the brackets and giving it the illusion from the out side that i had the origanal strapping , but after a chat with Paul putting the screws in the armour would only be making it more prone to crack and i do troop in this suit , Pauls quite right why go to all that trouble when just to fool go all the way or dont , so i keep my snap strapping in my TM 2mm for trooping and then when i want a bit of nastalga i put the TM 1mm on with the origanal strapping , lucky to have the choice , but mate your armour is going to rock i have a great feeling about this B)

Hi Noel the pictures you have shown of my first TMâ„¢ suit above I just simply added the rivets and snap for looks. They had no actual function ....

Yes, I thought as much.

And that's honestly what I guess I'm going for.

The exterior should look right... the interior needs to simply work for trooping. :salute:

Here are some pics of my finished bucket. B)

It was assembled by TM himself and the decals are from TK-4510. I could not be happier with this!

I have the chin strap, but doubt I install it... and you'll also notice it has simply comfortable "I use it in all my buckets" foam, not the star shaped foam. This is meant to look great, not replicate. Function before form... or in this case before "foam." :P

tm-bucket-1-150x150.jpg tm-bucket-2-150x150.jpg tm-bucket-3-150x150.jpg tm-bucket-4-150x150.jpg

tm-bucket-5-150x150.jpg tm-bucket-6-150x150.jpg tm-bucket-7-150x150.jpg tm-bucket-9-150x150.jpg

tm-bucket-8-150x150.jpg

Here are some pics from assembly...

The male snap on the top right corner of the ab plate.

tm-build-02-800x600.jpg

Inside view of the male snap on the top right corner of the ab plate.

tm-build-05-800x600.jpg

The six "rivets" — which are actually brass brads for the sake of authenticity — on the left side of the ab plate and right side of the kidney plate. These will be painted white.

tm-build-03-800x600.jpg

Inside view of the three brass brads on the left side of the ab plate.

tm-build-04-800x600.jpg

The two male snaps on the bottom curve of the butt plate.

tm-build-07-800x600.jpg

Inside view of the two male snaps on the bottom curve of the butt plate.

tm-build-08-800x600.jpg

The snaps fastened inside the left side of the ab plate.

tm-build-09-800x600.jpg

Ribbed shoulder straps fastened onto the chest plate.

tm-build-10-800x600.jpg

The three ab plate brads (a.k.a. "rivets") now painted white.

tm-build-11-800x600.jpg

It looks like Mark was trying to do the same thing you want to do, but used the wrong kind of hardware.

I personally would never use a replica for reference. If you want to make your armour look like it has original strapping you should be looking at the LFL archive photos. After all, those are the suits you are trying to replicate, not another replica. That's how people get it so wrong. They see something and copy it, then everyone does the same and think it's the right way to do it because so and so did it.

such a perfect answer...! I cannot agree MORE!!

I know that's the case and admire you greatly for that!

But, actually, I'm building for the new Centurion status — which includes EIB of course. ;)

Saw it in person today, looks amazing. I can already tell it's going to be one of the cleaner builds, meaning the strapping and everything is coming out really good and special attention to detail is making all the difference. I'm really looking forward to seeing this build completed! Gonna be one sweet set of armor!

Thought I'd add this into the post...

It's of our 19 month old Scottlyn... she loves watching me work on armor in the "Imperial Work Shed." She's also just a big Star Wars fan in general already.

Anyway, a couple of days ago she picked up a piece of scrap I cut off my Troopermaster set and started carrying it around saying, "Armor."

Today my wife, Celeste, put a piece of tape on the back so she can "wear" it. She loves it. I'm so proud! :D

Just wonderful Bluey! My oldest daughter is crazy about star wars too. But she calls it "dangerous" instead of star wars. :D and when she see a stormtrooper she says "daddy!" and points :D

Also: extremly nice armour you got there!

... and when she see a stormtrooper she says "daddy!" and points :D

Yeah, Scottlyn does that too! :duim:

Also: extremly nice armour you got there!

Thanks. :D

Okay guys... build is going great, and fitting is going really well (I'm so glad how well it all fits together, AND fits me!)

That being said... need opinions.

First question...

Do you think I should shim the sides at all so there's no gap?

Or should I leave it as is?

tm_fitting_1.jpg

tm_fitting_2.jpg

tm_fitting_3.jpg

tm_fitting_4.jpg

Sorry for the crappy ("I should take pictures of this") iPhone pictures.

I'm not making it super tight (I could strap it without elastic and close the gaps) I want it to be comfortable — which it is — but also look accurate.

If I DO shim it I'm going to shim from the back and make it seamless so that it doesn't look shimmed.

Honestly I'm happy/fine with the gap, but want to hear everyone's thoughts..

Second question...

Does the four button plate completely cover the "fork" on the ab plate, or should I cut it down a bit more to show the "fork" a bit?

tm_fitting_5.jpg

1. Side gap is fine in my opinion. I wouldn't waste your time shimming it when it looks perfectly good as it is. Keep the elastic straps and don't use webbing. Your armour will be much more comfortable using elastic and it's accurate too :D

2. Button plate could do with trimming down a bit. You want to the see the 'fork' or 'prongs' at the bottom edge, so I would trim a bit off all the edges so you can see the raised block the plate attaches to. Centre button plate looks fine :duim:

My opinion on shims (and it's only my opinion) ....

If you want to add shims to be able to pass EIB, add something easily removable. No matter how you do them, I just think they look bloody awful. A little flash of black at the sides looks a lot better than a chunk of extra plastic stuck in there that looks totally out of place.

Looking good, Noel. By the way, I didn't comment before but I totally understand your desire to replicate the cosmetics on the outside of the suits even though the rivets etc. are not a functional part of your strapping system. Even if you want somethign more sturdy on the inside and don't want to fully replicate the original strappng system, it still makes sense to me that you want it to look like it from the outside.

Edited by Rick330

Yeah forget the shims.

For the sake of trying to make it look better by having no black there, I think it can look bad if not done correctly.

If it's a huge huge gap, which yours isn't, then maybe add a shim.

But I think it looks great as is :)

PS: Give your mirror a quick once over lol ;) I always get had with toothpaste splatters when I use mine

Edited by john danter

GOOD! :D

Thanks for the replies guys!

Glad I waited for answers before convincing my "late-night-sleepy-self" that it really did need shims.

I've learned over 4 sets of armor to put that guy to bed and let "wide-awake-cognitive-self" read the forums to see what's actually reasonable. :duim:

Thanks too Paul on the button plate.

That's an easy fix! (thank you E-6000)