Is Hyperdyne MIA?

One of the last pieces I would like to get for my TK setup is an effects board (mainly for the static burst). I realize that this is a specialized piece of equipment--it's looking like there are a couple or few opportunities a year to pick a new one up. It seems like used boards sell quickly too. I've set a goal of May 1 to complete my armor, and would really like to get a board by then if at all possible.

I saw that Hyperdyne had boards up last Fall, but it wasn't a good time financially for me to get one. Since then, they have been out of stock--I check the page religiously. And I even sent a message to join the forum, but got no response. Does anyone know if they are still producing their boards?

The other thing that I'm sort of lacking is experience in the wild with the different boards. Both the Hyperdyne and ROM/FX board clips sound very impressive on their websites, but I've yet to run across TK's that are using either of them. If anyone has had experience with both, I'd be interested in hearing what your recommendation or evaluation is. I think either would be more than adequate for what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to keep my setup as simple as possible, so I would go for the ROM/FX Classic. Looks like the Hyperdyne is Pro only now.

Thanks so much!

EO

I have had my ROM FX PRO now for 2 years and it is awsome the best IMHO , one of the differeances with the PRO over the CLASSIC Rom FX is you can have 3 fx sounds operated by 3 micro switches that could be mounted in the lid or behind the chest plate anyware really where you can press them , aswell as the great static burst modes , i think John who makes the boards is a top bloke very helpfull , ROM FX ROCK ON B)

Thanks Stephen--I think he offers and upgrade path from Classic to Pro too, so I'd open to that in the future.

One thing I've noticed about ROM/FX owners is that they love their boards! Haven't really heard much from people who own the Hyperdyne, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

I hope I didn't come across as impatient in my original post...

Are you looking for a board just for the static burst? The aker amps sold in the commissary actually have a click at the start and end of speech when using push to talk.

Not to steer you away from rom/fx or others, but I love my aker, and the burst is pretty close.

Thanks Sean. Yeah, I've heard that the Aker amps do the clicks pretty well too. I have Air-Ship's speaker hovis right now, but I wanted like to add an Aker amp at some point for the extra volume. I'm not an electronics guy, so I wanted to start simple.

I should have been more specific in my original post. I meant that I'm interested in the whole TK voice effect / static burst, but not necessarily blaster effects or other extras for the time being. I have a feeling that I might want to do more in the future.

The ROM/FX Classic is looking more and more like the right choice for me. It's a full kit including a mic, and I could always upgrade it later if I want chatter or blaster effects. Maybe I will email to see if I could get on a waiting list.

I will post anything if I hear back from Hyperdyne Labs--I emailed them today to see if they had an estimate of when they might have boards again. I still would be interested in hearing from anybody that's had experience with them though.

The aker amps can get VERY loud. More than enough for a crowded convention or outdoors. Sadly I don't think I can be much help with the hovi speaker setups. Originally I really wanted to go with hovis+ROM/FX so all the electronics are self-contained in the helmet. I just heard so many people complain that the hovi speakers don't cut it for volume that it scared me away from that setup.

I have heard many people who have been very satisfied mixing ROM/FX with their akers like you mentioned. I thought that it would suck having sound coming out of the chest plate, but every time I speak it baffles everyone as to where the sound is coming from, they say it sounds just like the movies.

It looks like the speaker hovis' mini jack could plug right in to the ROM/FX board. The ROM/FX Classic kit comes with a speaker too, so I think I'm going to end up with some redundancy, unless I were to buy individual parts. I think I'm more comfortable with having options rather than piecing it out.

There are two reasons why I went with Airship's speaker hovis. One, I thought they looked really nice. Two, I'm concerned about how my chest will fit. I went with the RT-MOD armor, so it fits me really well. Not sure how putting a speaker will change that. (I'm working on reducing the mewb size, but that is some slow progress, heh.)

I do want to get an Aker amp at some point. Looks like I'll have a bunch of options by the time I'm done. Freelance work has been a bit slow, as it always is for this time of year for me. I'm hoping to be a little more flush in the near future so I can play with a few different setups. Thanks so much for the help!

The aker amps can get VERY loud. More than enough for a crowded convention or outdoors. Sadly I don't think I can be much help with the hovi speaker setups. Originally I really wanted to go with hovis+ROM/FX so all the electronics are self-contained in the helmet. I just heard so many people complain that the hovi speakers don't cut it for volume that it scared me away from that setup.

I have heard many people who have been very satisfied mixing ROM/FX with their akers like you mentioned. I thought that it would suck having sound coming out of the chest plate, but every time I speak it baffles everyone as to where the sound is coming from, they say it sounds just like the movies.

I have both a hyperdyne and a RomFX. Both are very good and you can't go wrong buying either. Each one has advantages and disadvantages. the hyperdyne is less expensive but tough to get. The RomFX has simpler settings but does a little less. The hyperdyne has PTT and bounty hunter voice changing but the setting can be confusing. Although, only the heavily modulated voice is noticeable IMHO. Both cards come relatively unprotected and need a box when placed inside armor. Both cards require an external battery pack that you will want to replace with a enclosed battery pack for safety.

My advice, wait a few weeks. Rumors are there is a new static burst system coming out designed to work with the powered amps like the aker amps and will be more affordable. See what that system looks like and then make a decision.

Edited by TK6294

I was really hoping for Hyperdyne to be in stock soon, as I am also doing a Boushh and a female Mandalorian. The Pro-Trooper would have worked perfectly in all three costumes. I am especially worried about what I am going to do with Boushh. I am really hoping to find some sort of Voice Modulator or something that I can use for it...

Alex, if you're looking for a REALLY CHEAP voice changer, Party City sells one. The "alien" setting makes for a good Boushh, and the "amplify your own voice" setting - given all the distortion inherent in the cheap electronics - actually makes for a pretty good TK. I dismembered mine, cut away the extraneous stuff (basically reducing it to a circuit board, battery pack, and mic) and use this system along with a set of hovi-speakers in my older RT Mod helmet. There is a diagram and detailed instructions by Smitty in an older thread that shows exactly how to do it -----------. And at $10 apiece, you can buy them in bulk and destroy as many as you need to get it right. ;)

---------------

My newer setup is with one of Jim's Aker amps. Needless to say, I'm eagerly anticipating the new (and affordable) static burst system designed specifically to work with the Aker amp - my finger is anxiously hovering over the PayPal "Send" button. :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

On 2/19/2011 at 1:11 AM, tkrestonva said:

Alex, if you're looking for a REALLY CHEAP voice changer, Party City sells one. The "alien" setting makes for a good Boushh, and the "amplify your own voice" setting - given all the distortion inherent in the cheap electronics - actually makes for a pretty good TK. I dismembered mine, cut away the extraneous stuff (basically reducing it to a circuit board, battery pack, and mic) and use this system along with a set of hovi-speakers in my older RT Mod helmet. There is a diagram and detailed instructions by Smitty in an older thread that shows exactly how to do it. And at $10 apiece, you can buy them in bulk and destroy as many as you need to get it right. ;)

-------------

My newer setup is with one of Jim's Aker amps. Needless to say, I'm eagerly anticipating the new (and affordable) static burst system designed specifically to work with the Aker amp - my finger is anxiously hovering over the PayPal "Send" button. :D

Here is video that a FISD member posted on youtube with Party City/Walmart/Halloween shop Voice changer:

I think it would be fun to plat around with and see what you can do with it.....

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

From Jim,

My advice, wait a few weeks. Rumors are there is a new static burst system coming out designed to work with the powered amps like the aker amps and will be more affordable. See what that system looks like and then make a decision.

Great news! I'm turning my wife into a Kashyyyk Trooper and an affordable voice comm is what we need for her. I have the ROM/FX and love it. I'm actually just getting around to installing the extra 3 buttons whcih will be installed in my ABS belt using some different switches than the ones it comes with. I'll start a new thread when I get the switches with a lil tutorial.