Ripcode's ABS ATA ANH Stunt Build[*ATA]

Whoever said, "A TK is easier to build than a clone". When I find that person I am going to kick their a$$! :angry:

Terrell is trying to talk me down, I believe he now regrets selling me an armor kit! :lol:

Frustration level is very high. I will be making a run back to the ATA Man Cave for replacement parts. :(

Hang in there, Ripcode! I have heard that line before, but I've never built a clone, so I can't comment. I've definitely put down my TK build when I've been frustrated though--it's partly why my project stalled. At least you had the nads to goof it up...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I've been there too and had to order replacement parts. At least you don't have to go seamless LOL

Technically no, but when you are doing the butt join with a cover strip, that is the "seamless" aspect when you think about it. But yeah, I get your point! :lol:

Hang in there, Ripcode! I have heard that line before, but I've never built a clone, so I can't comment. I've definitely put down my TK build when I've been frustrated though--it's partly why my project stalled. At least you had the nads to goof it up...

ABS OR HIPS Clones. Cut, cut! Oops! Patch, fill and paint! :D

ABS TK. Cut, cut, oops! $Hit! Buy replacement parts. Don't do that mistake again. :o

Edited by Ripcode

Update 02/10/11: (No pics, it was lunch hour and I was in my box briefs). :blink:

During my lunch hour I did a quick trim to the calves and thighs as I was starting to worry they might not fit.

Quick check. Calves and thighs will work with no shims! In fact it is like they were made to fit me! :o

I will post pics up tonight showing a lower half tape fitting.

For years, I used tin ships to trim down ABS and then had to follow up with a Dremel. Tin snips aren't that precise, so a lot of material was left to grind off. I HATED trimming as that part of the process was so freaking slow. <_<

Terrell suggested this tool. It is THE bomb!

5%2012%20lexan.jpg

I can't believe these tiny little scissors can cut through ABS! Since I can trim so close, the clean up with a Dremel or sandpaper is going to be minimal!

I will again be visiting the ATA Man Cave on Friday. I will try and get pics, but I don't know if I can get a camera past the Body Image Scanner and pat down. Terrell is also armed during my visit.

Hey Ripcode,

Great to see you on these forums..

Where did you get those scissors?

Yo Sixx! How are you doing? :)

I bought them at my local hobby shop.

Ask for canopy shears or lexan shears and you want the curved ones.

This is the brand: Lexan scissors

If you can't find them locally, they are readily available online.

Edited by Ripcode

Okay, first pics.

Taped up leg fitting. I am pretty happy. I know it is safe to final trim and get it ready for the butt join. :)

And I was too lazy to dig out my dive skin. LOl!

5435453854_71b986b1aa_b.jpg

Edited by amdarkness

Hurry up and start the bucket, so I can copy yours and get mine done :P I just got mine in the mail too, just the bucket. Got my trimming done, and ready to fit the halves together. Man, they just don't seem to line right up and sit flush together :huh:

Yeah, its me mrgr8ness from TDH ;)

Edited by mrgr8ness

Hurry up and start the bucket, so I can copy yours and get mine done :P I just got mine in the mail too, just the bucket. Got my trimming done, and ready to fit the halves together. Man, they just don't seem to line right up and sit flush together :huh:

Yeah, its me mrgr8ness from TDH ;)

Hey mrgr8ness, how's it going! :)

Now that the weekend is over, I will get back to working on this kit. Will try and get some progress done this week.

score and snap is a great way to speed up a build. you can even score curves with a steady box cutter.

snap! and then follow with a light edge sand by hand and you're ready to glue that sucker up!

nice job so far...

The gluing of the cover strips is on hold, until I get some magnets. I do not have enough clamps or long enough clamps to do the job properly. I found some on eBay and will get them today.

I will work on the body parts while waiting.

ETA: (30) 3/4" round magnets ordered today.

Edited by Ripcode

Progress update 02/20/11:

I have these parts all trimmed and any return edges sanded. I can start adding the snap plates this week. I know for some this can be done quickly. I am picky, so it takes a bit.

The button strip is junk. Sanded too much off. <_<

The nice thing about ATA. I have his number, he likes me and replacement pieces are fairly priced! :lol:

Next on my agenda is shins.

5463202965_d1cb91b075_b.jpg