About SE Sandtroopers / ROTJ lids

iconoclasta_88

Hey everybody...

Some of you might now me from the MEPD, or even here.

I log in here quiet often but most of the time just keep reading and reading, since most of my prop/armor time I dedicate to Sandtroopers and the MEPD...

Anyway, with the new CfO ROTJ bucket and armor, I am taking the task to research and hopefully put together one of the very first SE Sandtrooper lids at the MEPD.

I've been reading lots of threads with very valuable info and discussions about ROTJ buckets and armor over here. And also, reading and re-reading and studying all the info and reference pictures at SWhelmets and Looksirdorids sites.

I do have lots of info in my head that wasn't there a couple of weeks ago, but I still feel like I am very far from knowing at least the basic info I will need for this project.

It seems that the SE TD is from a kind of costumes that no one really likes or even acknowledges. Yeah! I know... I am like that too. I love ANH buckets and for me, thats the way TDs and TKs should be... but, at the moment I am very interested and attracted to SE and ROTJ lids... anyway.

I am starting this thread hoping to open a discussion about SE TDS and their relation to ROTJ TKs. So, here is my first question:

Does anyone know if the SE TD buckets were actually just weathered ROTJ buckets, or were they part of the SE and Tour armor production?

I read in a few places that SE buckets were from a different-later batch than ROTJ, but cant find any info specific about SE TDs.

and... If they were from a new production run, I am assuming they are actually white, and not off-white like ROTJ...

Just can´t tell for sure from pictures.

Thanks for any help here.

I will keep reading and researching too, btw.

Saludos.

I thought they were CG characters. Hmmmmm

I think some of them were, but at least two of the close up tds look real to me. But, i dont know for sure...

:)

Saludos.

What ARE you doing "over here" Juan?! :D haha

I'm really kind of excited to see a really well done SE TD... and I'm glad you're one of the ones that are going to tackle it because I KNOW it will be good!

About all I know on this subject that two of the people at least were actors.

Other than that you're going to have to keep doing research.

I would guess that they were dug up and redone for the new movie... or made off molds they had or something. Just have no idea.

Good luck!

They were rotj copies made specifically for the SE and subsequent tours for the SE promotions. There's a couple of pics of the guys at LFL makeing them. I'm sure it was on the Making Magic cd that came with the old Yoda Stories pc game years ago. I'm pretty sure some parts may have been cleaned up/altered as well but not too sure on that one.

Ben

They were rotj copies made specifically for the SE and subsequent tours for the SE promotions. There's a couple of pics of the guys at LFL makeing them. I'm sure it was on the Making Magic cd that came with the old Yoda Stories pc game years ago. I'm pretty sure some parts may have been cleaned up/altered as well but not too sure on that one.

Ben

If I recall correctly only the sandtrooper on the beast (forgot their name atm) was CG, the others were re-created real suits cast from ROTJ suits; Check out this scene:

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Thx for all your replies...

I spend good hours during the weekend trying to find more pictures from the special edition showing in detail the tds. I checked all my books, and graphic refernces, played the dvd in my comp and lcd tv and, and surfed the internet and well... The was no luck.

I couldnt find any better reference. No behind the scenes picts or videos. No hi-res pictures others than the ones at looksirdroids.com. No better refence. Even watching the Dvd with zoom in ob an lcd screen showed no better detail.

It is weird how the SE addesd scenes showing the new TDs are way worse regarding resolution and detailing thanthe ones originally shot back in 76. All the images are actually blury and dark. It looks like if they wanted to make them look bad on porpouse.

So, one thing that I think is safe to assume, is that SE tds have black stripes over the gray tears. Unlike ANH tds. But, I dont feel confident enough to say that about the back traps. Ther is no picture I could find, even after photoshop, where the black stripes would appear. Weird.

But weirder would be for the helmets to have only black stripes on the tears and not on the traps.

So....

So far I have 3 questions:

a

1. Are the SE td buckets a new production? Most seem to agree or know the fact that yes, SE td buckets were part of the ao called SE and Tour armor production run.

2. Are the SE td buckets completily shinny white ot just biscuit white as ROTJ lids? No idea yet.

3. Do SE td lids have black stripes over the grey tears and back traps? Im on that...

So, if anyone has info or know facts or even referneces to answer this questions, it would be awesome!!!

Thx a lot...

Hope to find some more info about SE tds...

Saludos

Juan.

Juan, I haven't read all the posts above in detail but have you already seen this series of videos?

---------------

I recall that in one of these videos, they show the helmets being unpacked from crates. One of the producers or something got to put on the costume and be an extra in the SE.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

THX everybody for all the great help, references and info...

Terry, I found the video you mentioned and have some screen grabs to share!

This is great and very valuable info for this project!!

Thx a lot.

Now I will study this closely...

post-3106-0-24327100-1296527703.thumb.jpg.34840c6f5da9bcc63cb30fed9e6856ff.jpgpost-3106-0-06341000-1296527726.thumb.jpg.6c07d9f145031b4c9dcb269c3efd4373.jpgpost-3106-0-78480500-1296527712.thumb.jpg.c2597c35d854aa3482e49a7ccba0de8a.jpgpost-3106-0-34470400-1296527733.thumb.jpg.55e345821fee8667d1c5658568df92bc.jpgpost-3106-0-74077900-1296527759.thumb.jpg.3fdb4a8687573bae89886406d6874e22.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

• 1 year later...

So how'd ya go with traps find anything there? Btw I hate my armour and Ian guessing the lid and armour should be the same shade of white!?! Lol

Well, in stunt ANH, armor was made of white ABS and the buckets were green HDPE painted white. So they were different shades.

In ROTJ, I think both helmet and armor were made of an off white (biscuit white) kind of ABS. So...

You could always get a new bucket and paint both the armor and bucket the same white if you wish to have them of identical shade of white.

About the traps... No luck. I just ended up leaving that investigation for later on.

Saludos

Lol ! One would assume.. They'd be the same as tears?!! But yeah I guess you never no .

Ps the shoulders alone on this armour are atrocious ha ha stil waiting on limbs suit and boot I'm pretty sure I can do any mods to whole armour but abdomen on this isn't even tk accurate scary I've been looking a lot at the difference between all tk,s aswell and its baffling thanks for help and ENcouragement bud