VT Armor build

Ok....I'm a little overwhelmed, so this is going to go ONE piece at a time while the rest stay in the box.

I thought I would start with the shins since I just ordered a pair of TK boots.

If anyone here has worked on a set of VT armor (and you know who you are) I will be posting progress pics every step of the way.

Work begins on this tomorrow so I am looking forward to NOT messing anything up.

Does anyone know off-hand if the parts labeled A and B go together A+A or A+B??

Hey Jimmy, congrats on your kit.

If I may suggest, wait to work on the shins, you want to make sure that you allow enough room for your boot and undersuit at the ankle area. In fact when doing test fittings, make sure you are wearing your undersuit or something tight and clingy fitting. Believe it or not, a t-shirt and jeans will change how the armor fits you.

When it comes to your body armor start with your forearms and biceps.

Go to this link and it will help you with your forearms and biceps: http://www.whitearmor.net/home/tutorials/armor-tutorials/arms.html

Here is a link for the basic tools that you are going to need: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11760&st=0&p=145580&hl=basic%20tools&fromsearch=1entry145580

Also, unpack everything and make sure you have all your parts and that they are in good condition.

Just take a deep breath, take your time and enjoy your build. Rule of thumb, measure 4 times, cut once!

Take lots of pix and if you have any questions, or need advice, just post.

This is going to take fooorrreeevvver! :blink::D

The kit came with a large flat sheet of ABS to cut the strips out - how wide do the strips have to be?

You're right about starting with the arms.

I still need to buy one of those nifty modeling irons to give the return edge to the plastic. I just bought the high-speed cutting tool for my dremmel and have a ton of different grit sandpapers to use.

I am very overwhelmed, even looking at ONE piece.

Pics will come soon - I have to dig out the arm pieces. I appreciate all help every step of the way.

Hi Jimmy, please read the tutorials here. They contain the dimensions for the cover strips and should have most if not all the info you need for your build.

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/tutorials/armor-tutorials.html

VT is a recast of mostly AP parts, so you can refer to any of the AP builds for info.

I appreciate all help every step of the way.

We are here for you man, if you need help. :duim:

As I just (almost) finished a VT build, I can feel your pain Frosty. You have 2 of the most helpful guys posting right now- both did wonders for me!

As RogueTrooper said, start with the forearm and bicep parts. Trim the shoulder bell too, it was easy. Follow the tutorials these guys posted and you will be on your way in no time!

Expect to spend a month doing this, and that is working on it a little every day. Once you get going though, it's hard to stop, so be ready! FYI, I trimmed out the parts for the 02 Canister first, as they are hard to mess up and give you a feel for working with the ABS.

Edited by Slacker

I haven't had any time at all to do anything, but today I starting testing out different cutting methods.

Cutting with scissors can only go so far, best for trimming the bulk off.

For those who have worked with cutting ABS before, would the most effective method be the cutting wheel, sanding bit or the high-speed cutting bit?

I'm also having trouble determining the edge lines of the amor. I'ts especially hard since I have to keep referring back and forth to pictures online and the fact that VT does not supply any instructions. I'm afraid of cutting too far to the edge.

Based on the little cutting I got done....this is going to take a long time. I really hope I don't lose interest in the process.

I use lexan scissors for trimming RC cars. I find they cut through ABS very quickly. Some people "score and snap" with a hobby knife, but I only use that for straight cuts.

As stated, refer to the tutorials and build threads, they all have very detailed photos. Most of the armor that's derived from TE2, AP, ATA, Cap W, TMC etc are all trimmed the same (depending on your size). Study the build threads and draw pencil lines first. If you're not sure, post a photo of the pencil line BEFORE you cut it.

Just like Panda said above, if you need advice on where to trim/cut, just post pix of the armor with pencil lines where you think you need to cut/trim BEFORE doing any cutting/trimming.

Here is a tip: Print out a hard copy of which ever tutorial, build thread, and pix that you want to use to help you with your build.

Break each section down, like an instructional manual (Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, etc.)

Look one section over a couple of times before actually attempting to do anything to those specific parts. Only look at and work on one part at a time. This will keep you from being overwhelmed and becoming frustrated with your project.

#1 Shoulder Bells:

#2. Biceps:

#3. Forearms:

So forth and so on.....

We are here if you need help. :duim: One thing, and this is very important..to have fun!! :dancing-trooper:

Good advice. Building your armor will yield no instant gratification. You may get to the point you are tired of working on it even, and want to give up. Trust me when I say all the effort and hard work are worth it in the end.

For a quick fix on scissors, try using those kitchen scissors used to cut meat with- I ended up using those, they were pretty heavy duty. Trim stuff as close as possible to the photos and sand the rest. Here's a tip- take something round (like a paper towel roll or toilet paper roll filled with something to make it hard) and wrap the sandpaper around that. Using a round item to hold the paper makes sanding curves much easier, it did for me.

Ok...don't be mad at me...but I started cutting today before I read your advice on drawing lines and posting pics...here is where I am at.

I did RAW cutting on the shoulder and arm pieces. I havent started sanding yet. My arms are pretty thin so I have a lot of trimming/fitting to do.

I am unsure how the bicep pieces are supposed to fit together so I took photos of them so far for you guys to help point me in the right direction.

I am also wondering if the forearms have to fit with the butt/join method or overlap. They seem to fit me better with the overlap method. Doing the butt/join method will require me trimming off most of the rased ridge lines so that it fits on my slim arm.

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

Hi Jimmy,

Looks like you are doing a fine job there at the moment B) , did you get any finishing strips with the VT armour , i only ask because if you did then but jointing the parts is the way to go , then finishing strips on top covering the but joint , it might take a bit longer but the results would pay dividends mate :)

The kit came with a large plastic sheet which I have to measure and cut off the strips myself. I am going to continue to work on cutting the parts then go back and sand them smooth.

I think I have to cut the bicep piece more (that part is sticking up? Check out the photo I posted - I'm not sure I did it right) so please, some advice on that part...

Looks like the bicep piece is just longer than its mating piece. You're correct, you're going to have to trim that extra length down to get it to match up with the other piece. That's strange to have it that far off. I haven't worked with this VT kit, but I'd go back to the drawing board to fix that mold if I were VT. Back to your fix. Don't sweat that too much. It'll be hard to see once the entire armor is on. In fact, your shoulder bell will be covering that edge. Just make sure it's comfortable for you. Round it out the best you can and sand down the rough edges to prevent damage to you and your black suit. You'll probably forget about that once everything is up and looking good. Have fun and take your time.

Jimmy, I might sounds like a broken record here - but read the tutorials. They were written specifically to help people just starting out, specifically with info on overlap / butt join methods. There is detailed information within the tutorial and links to other builds, etc.

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/tutorials/armor-tutorials/arms.html

In regards to the bicep, as Tkittell mentioned, match up the bottom edge and don't worry about the top since the shoulder might cover it.

The VT kit was recast from AP armor, so there are some parts that do not fit perfect. You can either choose to leave them with the parts misaligned, trim off the excess, or use a heat iron to blend the plastic back into shape.

Thanks for the feedback.

Pandatrooper - yes, I have been going over the tutorials over and over again. I have a hard time understanding things so it takes me a while to soak in information.

I am going to trim/sand all the parts first, then have a friend help me with fitting to ensure it looks right on my frame.

More pics to come - thank you for your support.

I got all the major trimming done today and have already begun to go back and start sanding and refining each piece.

Below you will see a finished handplate next to a raw cut one.

I am having some difficulty understanding how to align the helmet and what to cut - I already checked out the helmet building tutorial PDF and will be having it printed out.

Take a look at the photos below and let me know what more needs cut around the brim prior to the black rubber trim being installed...Also, do I need to trim off that ridge on the top of the brow of the faceplate - as shown in the last photo?

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

Take a look at the photos below and let me know what more needs cut around the brim prior to the black rubber trim being installed...Also, do I need to trim off that ridge on the top of the brow of the faceplate - as shown in the last photo?

DSC_0308.jpg

You can trim off the ridge on the top of Face plate,that part is not needed.

As for the neck area, Wait until you get the the lid totally put together with the ears to do any trimming of the neck opening. The ears play a big part in blending the face plate to the back of the helmet.

Hey Jimmy here is a video Helmet Build by Mike (TK4510) for the TE2 lid.

Link to videos: http://www.vimeo.com/album/140066

The basic video tutorial will help you with you VT lid build. Parts 19, 20,and 21 you will not need to watch. Just stop at the point that Mike starts spray painting the helmet, since your VT helmet is made of ABS, and will not need to painted white. :smiley-sw013:

Got my TK boots today. They are nice - too bad they don't offer half-sizes, an 8.5 would have been perfect but 9 will have to do.

I am thinking of doing the overlap construction for the shins as I like the way they look and fit that way.

I am having trouble determining how the thigh pieces go together since the VT armor is not labeled on the thighs. I want to make them snug and form-fitting like the shins but I read somewhere that the thighs should be a little looser for mobility?

I've been busy with work so I haven't had the time to continue sanding/refining and it's driving me MAD to let it all sit there unfinished.

Make them snug fit. Far too many people make the thighs way too big.

I personally prefer butt join instead of overlap. It just looks better.

The VT thighs don't align well. My advice is to align the top on the right thigh, and don't worry about the bottom since the ammo strip covers the lower thigh. On the left align the bottom and trim / adjust the top to match.

For the boots, put an insole inside.