Undersuit Question

i got mine at walmart for 20$ in the sports section ;) a plain black spandex bodysuit, or wetsuit is all you really need, if you want to make one i would try lycra, but i cannot sew lol

I haven't seen any tutorials on these forums for sewing an undersuit. I think it's easier to buy one and I got mine at wally world. Retailers won't carry the inexpensive options during the summer season so now is the time to buy one.

Ā 

Patterns are available in fabric stores like JoAnn's with even more options available online. Here's an example: http://www.kwiksew.com/catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=2335 using Lycra as the material.

Ā 

If you want to make your own pattern based on your exact body size, you can follow a series of tutorials on this website http://www.stretchy.org/catsuit/ with videos also available on youtube.

Ā 

It's hilarious when I'm at a fabric store surrounded by a bunch of old ladies. I always get asked questions. Yes, males in their 20s DO sew.

Edited by TrooperTim

Haha, Tim, my husband sews as well, I bet we make quite a sight in the fabric store, too! He's about to get started on his Fallout New Vegas Vault Dweller costume, so we'll be getting the stuff for that this weekend. This will be the first time I've managed to get him to cosplay, so I'm pretty hyped about it.

Ā 

That video is awesome, I think I am going to give that a try. Thanks so much, man.

Ā 

I'm thinking that what I will do is sew the one-piece one myself, and purchase a 2-piece as well. That way I will have enough to get through a long Con with minimal gross factor, and can compare the two styles at the same time.

Ā 

What material would you say is best for our heat/humidity factor here in Texas?

What material would you say is best for our heat/humidity factor here in Texas?

You can seek out a cotton/lycra unitard (dance/ballet). I bet you can find a cotton skin tight two piece out there. As many have posted, a two piece is the way to go. Cotton, like all natural fibers, breathes better than synthetic materials. Several undersuits are made from polyester/spandex and those work well but don't breathe much. Garrisons in the lower 48 prefer events indoors during the summer months so you won't always troop in heat. Using the bathroom in armor can be done but I can't offer advice for how women do this.

Ok, you have me convinced - A 2 piece, cotton-lycra blend undersuit is the way to go for me. And I can probably buy it cheaper than I can make it, although I really like saying "I made it", haha.

Ā 

I was wondering about the bathroom issue and women, but didn't want to put that visual in y'alls heads, too late now! :lol:

I'm sure I'll figure that part out. Necessity is the mother of invention, right? I'm not even going to TELL y'all the suggestions my husband has made!

I picked up a One piece racing suit thinking it would be more convent than two piece under armor. Not so much.:mellow: Don't get me wrong, having a one piece suit is great until it comes time for the bathroom. Having to take a potty break in armor is bad enough (especially if you been out drinking), but I wouldn't want the added pleasures of being a lady while doing it. ;) I say two piece under-suit all the way. I guess that is unless you cut yourself a flap in the rear like a pair old-timey "prospector long johns".

Ā 

If you want something that will last, but will cost go under armor. You can even pick it up for the type of environment you expect to troop. (Heat gear & Cold gear) And it's so much better than cotton. If you want to get by on the cheap, walmart/k-mart/Big discount department stores should carry something similar to under armor though it might be branded Starter. Though you might have trouble finding if its out of season (football and baseball seasons are the best times to look)

Ā 

On a side note: That's so rad your husband is doing the Vault Dweller! One of my all time fav games! You guys should post those up too when hes done. ;)

Edited by Defiance7x13

Hey, these are some good tips. I might have to get the motorcycle undersuit.

Concerning comfort breaks - my plan is to not drink much... please step over me if I pass out. :lol:

If you're considering a two-piece, I do have some advice: Make sure there is plenty of overlap between the top and bottom. If you don't they can ride up/down exposing flesh, or what we affectionally call "plumber's crack". :blink:

Ā 

I've seen troopers wearing the two-piece style undersuit and who also have the split butt/kidney armor that is correct for ANH & ESB. I've also seen what can happen when they move or attempt to bend. Not good.

Hahaha, Carlos, no, there will be NO flap going on over here! :lol:

Ā 

Cool, thanks for the advice on the material. I'm thinking of going by Academy and seeing what they have. My daughter works there, so can get a discount.

Ā 

Ok, I will post pics when we get the Vault Dweller done. I wasn't sure anyone here would be interested in seeing that, but yeah, we love the Fallout games. He really wants to do some Brotherhood armor, but is intimidated by the process right now. I'm thinking that helping with my build might give him some ideas along the way. I'm still going to be doing most of the work, though, because I want to take personal pride in my armor. Just how I roll ;)

Ā 

You might like the boots I got him for Christmas. We saw them while we were out shopping, and both beelined right to them, saying "Wastelander boots!". I snuck back later in the week to pick them up, heh.

post-14255-0-40354200-1295723632_thumb.jpg

Jenny, I agree, great tips here! Glad I started the thread. I've read through a bunch of past threads, but not many address the 'female aspect' :rolleyes:

Ā 

I won't just step over, you, girl...I'm a true friend, I'll move you out of the way B)

Hey Brian,

Ā 

Haha, ok, that is some more great advice! Maybe I will add some snaps between the pieces...that way I can at least have a HAND in the construction! Still thinking about making my own, since a two-piece might be easier to find a pattern for. And then I could make multiple sets, which would save money in the long run, right? Still thinking of the 'ick factor' of sweating it out at long cons ;)

On 1/23/2011 at 2:46 AM, tkrestonva said:

If you're considering a two-piece, I do have some advice: Make sure there is plenty of overlap between the top and bottom. If you don't they can ride up/down exposing flesh, or what we affectionally call "plumber's crack". :blink:

Ā 

I've seen troopers wearing the two-piece style undersuit and who also have the split butt/kidney armor that is correct for ANH & ESB. I've also seen what can happen when they move or attempt to bend. Not good.

Ā 

I can attest to this, I used to wear an under armor shirt under my suit for dog training, and after a couple hits It would always ride up my torso. But it had been longer, I could have just "tucked it in".

Ā 

----------

Ā 

Granted I move way more in that suit than I do my TK, limited mobility if a factor of wearing both. And a short under shirt will result in problems. Its not so much a question of if, but when.

Ā 

Sorry not try to de-rail, but most don't understand what I mean when I say "training suit". Please carry on ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I have the 2 piece method, and even though you cant move that much, it will still ride up. I have shared my dislike to Tim at many events. The best way to combat this is to tuck the shirt in the pants as best you can. Also if you are worried about it showing skin where the kidney and butt plate meet, place a small amount of black fabric on the inside, between the 2 pieces. That way if it rides up, no skin will be visable

Ah, cool, thanks for that advice, Thomas.

Ā 

I'm thinking I will add snaps to keep the top and bottom parts together, and possibly some stirrups to the legs and arms.

Ā 

You are right up the road from me! Looking forward to meeting you and Tim soon :)

Ah, cool, thanks for that advice, Thomas.

Ā 

I'm thinking I will add snaps to keep the top and bottom parts together, and possibly some stirrups to the legs and arms.

Ā 

You are right up the road from me! Looking forward to meeting you and Tim soon :)

Ā 

Ā 

That is a good idea about the snaps. I dont have stirrups for my legs or my arms, and I havent had any trouble without them. I actually got my "under armor" at the Walmart at Spring Creek and 75. Pretty cheap, like $10 for each. They dont stock them for very long, so grab them when you can.

Ā 

Plano is a nice town, I lived there for a few years until recently, still go there quite often

Edited by giric thren

Just want to chip in here to help avoid a lot of confusion when sourcing fabrics.

Ā 

I hear the name "lycra" tossed around over and over again in reference to a fabric/cloth and unfortunately this is misnomer.

Ā 

A couple of facts:

Ā 

- Lycra is not a fabric or cloth.

- The brand name "Lycra" refers to the elastic yarn or "elastane" made by the company DuPont.

- You cannot buy "lycra material" (a cloth made up solely of lycra); it does not exist. Lycra is a yarn; no more, no less.

Ā 

Many other chemical companies/yarn producers make eleastic yarn, e.g. Bayer has a product named "Dorlastan". I'm sure most of you in the USA will be also familair with the name "Spandex". Essentialy, it's the same thing.

Elastic yarns/elastanes are typically rubber-based. They are combined with other non-elastic yarns (typically cotton, polyamides (nylons) or polyesters etc.) and woven or knitted to form a cloth or fabric with stretch properties. These are typically used in underwear, swimwear and sportswear. And, of course, it's this type of thing you will need for your TK undersuit.

The elastic yarn almost always makes up the smallest part of the cloth, typically around 2 - 20%. My undersuit, for example, is made up of 92% cotton and 8% elastane (which just happens to be branded Lycra).

Ā 

So, when sourcing fabric, it's important to know ...

Ā 

- which type of yarn you want to make up the bullk of the fabric (cotton or synthetic fibre yarns or a blend). Don't ask for "lycra material"

- that the elastic yarn does not necessarily need to be Lycra. Yes, it is the best known elastic yarn but it is also relatively expensive. Other elastic yarns will do the same job.

Ā 

Happy fabric hunting! :D

Edited by Rick330

Y Cotton, like all natural fibers, breathes better than synthetic materials.

Ā 

Cotton is a great naturally occurring material which is soft and comfortable against the skin.

However, the breathability of a cloth depends more on the structure of the weave/knit than the base material (yarn).

Nowadays there are a lot of high-tech fabrics which are knitted to help convey moisture away from the skin and keep you cool and dry. You will also find that very few of them use cotton. The problem with cotton is that it absorbs moisture. That's why most performance sportswear uses fabrics made of synthetic materials.

If you think you are going to get very hot and sweat a lot on a troop, there are better materials available than cotton-based fabrics as these will attract and absorb your sweat.