Did the Dremel tool exist in 1976?

Sonnenschein

It usually takes a little more to make me happy, but the existence of a dremel just solved the last "latex hand guard myst

Ā 

ery" I've been struggeling for months

Ā 

dance.gif

Ā 

Care to shed some more light on this?

I don't see an obvious connection between latex and a Dremel. ;)

Ā 

I don't see an obvious connection between latex and a Dremel. ;)

Me neither, until this morning!

Ā 

I tried several methods to cast the knuckle indentions. None worked really satisfyingly.

Ā 

So I took the sanding drum and ... voila! Instant knuckles.

Ā 

This may explain why they varied (or didn't exist on some) with the originals

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

my explanation for this is: They weren't cast solid and the knuckles were simply cut into the thinner "return edge" at the front. But, hey, that's just me ;)

I have cut latex thicker than that - people who build masks do it all the time. All you need is the right pair of scissors. Sadly my old handplates don't have the needed thickness at the front, or I'd show you...

Ā 

If you look at the supersize Hero picture, you can see that there is a faint "wavy" line on the handguard where the indents would be, but no knuckles cut, and it looks very dark beneath. I'm sure I've seen another pic were it looked like the weren't completely solid, still looking for it though.

Ā 

you could cut those out with scissors easily, on the other hand, you'd probably get a more tidy result with a dremel... but are we really looking for a tidy solution here? :D

Edited by R2Dan

Ā 

you could cut those out with scissors easily, on the other hand, you'd probably get a more tidy result with a dremel... but are we really looking for a tidy solution here? :D

Ā 

Guess I have to find the right pair of scissors then. In the meantime, the dremel will do fine biggrin.gif

Ā 

If can find some pics, please let me see them!

Looking through my reference folder, I'm starting to doubt this was an actual feature, but more of an oddity. They're never the same size or in the same place, most Troopers don't have them at all as far as I can see. Maybe it really was just them cutting off some flashing here and there?

Edited by R2Dan

Looking through my reference folder, I'm starting to doubt this was an actual feature, but more of an oddity. They're never the same size or in the same place, most Troopers don't have them at all as far as I can see. Maybe it really was just them cutting off some flashing here and there?

Ā 

This is why I suspect they were individually cut. They are more or less defined.

Ā 

Look at this pic, there isn't much of an return edge,

Handplate.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Okay, just went through all my stuff (production pics, screen grabs) and the only TK with a distinct "knuckle" pattern I could find is the one you showed there lying down (and I can only see it on the one hand really, the other looks pretty much straight). Everyone else seems to have either a straight edge or some sort of wavy, but irregular pattern there, which could be a casting issue rather than an actual feature... or am I totally off here?!

Ā 

Here's my best of "no knuckles":

noknuckles.jpg

Edited by R2Dan

I'm not saying they were entirely hollow, just a little thinner on the edges, as in the latex was pooling up at the edge of the mould and then dropping off a little towards the center.

looks like this lady is just exactly the kind of person we all should purchase from.

Ā 

I've made my own, I've purchased several pairs of hers... and now we have this excellent research to point

Ā 

"another finger" towards the altar of SCREEN ACCURACY!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Nice find Dennis.

Ā 

My dremel broke and for 2 weeks i was sad until i got a new one.

You can do so much with that tool.

Ā 

I put my dremel under my pillow , my wife still doesn't know .

Ā 

(ok i sleep in the basement a lot) :(