helmet re-do.

Okay. Back in late 2008, I went on ebay an purchased a helmet kit from some random Joe. Once I received it, I was in a RUSH to put it together. Now, the end result, was pretty rough. it had a bunch of glue marks, terrible paint job, some areas were dull and others glossy along with terrible drips and splatter. It just looked bad. I was embarrassed to even show it off on here. I later learned that the worse it looks, the more screen accurate it may appear.

I have been deciding for quite awhile if I should redo it or not, and as much as I like the rough look, there are some things I cant look pass. So I have decided to rebuild the helmet. Strip it down to its bare plastic, and also harden it using either fiberglass or the glue and canvas trick.

Some pics of the helmet in its current condition.

p4Q1dTk.jpg

fm1YiNi.jpg

HzdeatU.jpg

K8KgisV.jpg

WckxgDi.jpg

eNdWvTj.jpg

C8LTLkK.jpg

I plan on getting all the decals, ears off. Hopefully, Ill have her sanded down by the end of tonight.

On 1/9/2011 at 7:45 AM, Quebectrooper said:

To stop those cracks , drill a hole at the end of it .

I was thinking of that, but I already plan to harden the entire helmet either using fiberglass resin or the canvas & glue technique. What technique should I go with?

update

2qmzHOM.jpg

Looks like you are going to have some fun with this one Caleb.

BTW, Is it me, or does the sanded/removed paint (grey out line) look a little like a billy goat? :huh: and no I have not been drinking....

On 1/9/2011 at 9:15 AM, TKCaleb said:

Yea, right, lots of fun! lol.

Im going to go with the oven cleaner trick, and let it soak for 24 hrs. If all goes well, great, if not, ill do a reapplication of the oven cleaner, hopefully, that will do the trick.

I can def see the Billy Goat, looks like a cave painting. I like.

If no luck with oven cleaner try screen wash, if not IPA ( its alchol).

About £22 in UK for 5 litres, will not affect plactic and will strip all back.

Please don't scrape it away :-)

Gra

will do. I read in some forums that it will damage the plastic, and on others, I heard it wont. However, i have so much paint on this thing that I dont think it will hurt the helmet much at all. Ill be purchasing some of this cleaner when i go to work. Thanks

Caleb.

PS. I see the billygoat too. haha.

Im not scraping it anymore, I dont want to scar up the surface of the helmet. Even if I do, ill just bondo those sections and move on. I also ordered some milliput for the aerator area, its falling apart in that area.

It depends what's in the oven cleaner. Problem is I can't remember which ingredient isn't good for plastic, I'm sure someone here will though. As long as you get the right one it doesn't matter how long you leave it for.

It depends what's in the oven cleaner. Problem is I can't remember which ingredient isn't good for plastic, I'm sure someone here will though. As long as you get the right one it doesn't matter how long you leave it for.

well the oven cleaner I bought is Easy off, and the chemical which is bad for plastic is lye. This product is lye free, and has a nice lemon scent with no fumes. mmmm.

If this oven cleaner trick doesnt work im going to just sand the rough areas out, paint it, and call it a day. Im also bought canvas cloth and e-6000 glue to toughen the helmet. I have also placed an order of milliput to reinforce the soft paper thin plastic area which hold the aerators.

I can def see the Billy Goat, looks like a cave painting. I like.

That's what I saw, a cave man painting of a billy goat. Thanks Gra, I started thinking I was the only one that saw it.

Try this Caleb: Pine Sol paint removal from plastic.

When removing more permanent paint such as a spray paint, some drastic measures will be needed. The gentlest method I know of involves soaking the plastic in a solution of hot water and pine cleaner such as Pine Sol. The oil in the Pine Sol loosens the paint and makes it easier to remove. After soaking, use a soft wet cloth or brush to gently rub the plastic and remove the paint.

When removing more permanent paint such as a spray paint, some drastic measures will be needed. The gentlest method I know of involves soaking the plastic in a solution of hot water and pine cleaner such as Pine Sol. The oil in the Pine Sol loosens the paint and makes it easier to remove. After soaking, use a soft wet cloth or brush to gently rub the plastic and remove the paint.

I somehow don't like the hot water part ;)

ill try that out if the oven cleaner does not succeed. thanks Tom!

And about the hot water Karin, it does not harm the helmet. I soaked my helmet already in pure hot water and it caused no damage, made it a bit flexible, but not flexible enough to cause permanant damage. its safe.

Caleb

I somehow don't like the hot water part ;)

FYI, as long as you don't use boiling water, just hot water from the faucet, the hot water from the faucet is fine for this process and will not harm the plastic. ;)

okay, so the oven cleaner did not work that well. it soften the paint, but not enough. Im currently soaking the helmet in a tub with a bottle of pine-sol and hot water. Im not sure how long I am suppose to let it soak for, but I hope I can dump it soon, its starting to stink up the place. I have to open all the windows in my house to let out the smell.

Caleb

okay, so the oven cleaner did not work that well. it soften the paint, but not enough. Im currently soaking the helmet in a tub with a bottle of pine-sol and hot water. Im not sure how long I am suppose to let it soak for, but I hope I can dump it soon, its starting to stink up the place. I have to open all the windows in my house to let out the smell.

Caleb

If no joy caleb I still stand by alcohol solution, IPA.

I have a link and posted one earlier.

I use it to strip paint all the time and its plastic safe

keep us posted mate

regards

Gra