The ESB eFx Box Silliness

Hey Folks,

In my life I have seen many star wars items pass me by. For example the life size han in carbonite at some shop at the mall for $1,000 or so? Countless helmets and masks I wish I had purchased (riddell mini helmets anyone?). I couldn't let the $109--------go by. It's troopable and when I finally get a real lid this one will look pretty good on a shelf with other starwarsaphenalia. At this time I do not intend to get my bondo on and mod it.

So far I have a D-ring, a hasbro blaster, a holster (on the way), and droopy doo kit (on the way). I'm debating between AM and RT-MOD being 6'5" and 240... I'm still combing through the tons of info for armor for bigger troopers.

There have been -------------of this helmet, but I thought I'd share the funny copy written on the box.

FEARLESS AND UNSWERVINGLY LOYAL TO THE EMPEROR, STORMTROOPERS ARE THE MOST RECOGNIZED SYMBOL OF IMPERIAL MIGHT IN THE
STAR WARS
SAGA. ENCASED IN WHITE ARMOR OVER A BLACK BODYGLOVE, STORMTROOPER MAKE UP THE BULK OF PALPATINE'S GROUND-BASED ARMIES AND SPACED-BASED IMPERIAL STARFLEET.

THEIR FEARSOME LOOKING HELMETS ALLOW THE STORMTROOPERS TO BREATH IN THE HARSHEST ENVIRONMENTS, INCLUDING THE VACUUM OF SPACE. THEY ARE ALSO EQUIPPED WITH LONG RANGE COMMUNICATIONS, ENSURING THAT THESE ELITE SHOCK TROOOPERS CAN BE DEPLOYED WITH SPEED AND EFFICIENCY TO QUELL INSURRECTIONS AND MAINTAIN ORDER ACROSS THE MANY WORLDS OF THE EMPIRE.

How dumb.

------

There are many reasons why I cling dearly to the Star Wars movies. Without getting out my forum therapist couch, I'll just admit that it makes me feel like a kid. A 39 year old kid.

----------

I might as well send it back because Santa gave this bucket to a child... of any age. And what... not a toy?

And seriously where am I going to put an eFx sticker? I have enough shame posting about the thing here on FISD. There is no reason for me to advertise to the world how lame I am.

------------

What I didn't expect once I put the thing on is how close my eyes are to the green lenses. My face is quite pressed up against the front. It was a little disorienting at first.

With aloha,

-Eric

----

The rest of the photos---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

There's padding in there?

-Eric

I have to admit, the padding on the inside of the helmet is very poor quality for the nice helmet you pay for :(

if you mod it, don't take it fully apart.

just drill out the mic tips, fill all seams with putty.

and use the inside drill out concept for removing the ears. taking care to remove the micro screws that hold the ear caps

on from the inside. once the caps are removed, and the mic tips are removed you'll need new brow trim, new lens material.

and new neck trim. making the ear caps smaller and filling in the seams requires keeping the notch at the top in the

same basic shape but thinner.

putting the helmet back together requires a strong epoxy filler since the helmet flexes at the side

seams near the temples. you'll have to fill the seams at the temples from the inside and the outside

to "try" to keep the lid from flexing. if someone pushes hard on the helmet it can crack the filler

at the temples.

after that you need a full repaint and re decal.

if you mod it, don't take it fully apart.

just drill out the mic tips, fill all seams with putty.

and use the inside drill out concept for removing the ears. taking care to remove the micro screws that hold the ear caps

on from the inside. once the caps are removed, and the mic tips are removed you'll need new brow trim, new lens material.

and new neck trim. making the ear caps smaller and filling in the seams requires keeping the notch at the top in the

same basic shape but thinner.

putting the helmet back together requires a strong epoxy filler since the helmet flexes at the side

seams near the temples. you'll have to fill the seams at the temples from the inside and the outside

to "try" to keep the lid from flexing. if someone pushes hard on the helmet it can crack the filler

at the temples.

after that you need a full repaint and re decal.

And here was me thinking it looked rather good.

There are a several members that have mod'd their MRCE/eFx lids. Here are a couple of links to tutuorials to mod this style of lid:

----------

BTW, the eFx idealized Stormtrooper lid was originally the Master Replica Collectors Edition (MRCE)

You can also read about the lid at this link:

http://starwarshelmets.com/EFX_Idealised_Stormtrooper.htm

If I may suggest, before doing anything to you eFx lid maybe look at getting a lid from one of the vendors here (some lid kits start at $125.00 and some of the "B" stock lid kits are well under $100.00) or when you order your armor, most of the kits come with a lid anyway. I think you will have more fun and end up with a lid that you will be happier with.

Here are some links for just the helmets kits that are on sale right now. But, like I said if you are going to buy an armor kit, most of them come with the lid:

---------

There is a lot of time consuming work to be put into the eFx "idealized" lid to mod it and get it closer to the original lids. Even then, your lid still doesn't have the same vibe as the original screen used lids, because the eFx is symmetrical and the screen used were asymmetrical.

You can read and see about the original screen lids over on this link: http://starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-helmets-sub-submenu.htm

Either way you go, just mull over your options before you dive in.

My 2 cents worth.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021