Rom/FX Enclosure Mod.

The rom/fx unit has a feature that when the battery runs low, it begins to periodically reboot and play the "rom/fx" startup sound. As the battery gets lower, the reboots come more often. This can get annoying in the middle of a troop (especially if the unit is mounted in such a way that it's hard to get to), so I wanted a solution where I still had the compactness of the 9V battery (vs. 8 AAs) but I had a backup power source for when it ran low. I also wanted my mounting solution to be as compact as possible, without a bunch of wires to have to deal with.

I ended up mounting the rom f/x board, a speaker, two batteries and a switch into an electronics enclosure with a neck strap, The solution works great. It hangs around my neck and fits perfectly in the armor chest cavity. The volume is loud and clear and I get zero feedback using a unidirectional headset mic.

When I run out of power in the first battery, i just reach my hand inside my chest and flip the switch and it changes to the second battery. I can also leave the switch in the center position to power off the unit.

I used rare earth magnets instead of screws to mount the back plate, so it's very easy to open it up and swap out batteries. After a troop where I had to switch to the backup battery, I just promote the backup to the primary and add a new backup. That means every battery gets fully used so I'm not wasting any juice (or money) by discarding partially used batteries. I also have quick access to the rom f/x settings and volume controls should I need to mess with them.

--------

Parts list:

Rom f/x sound board
http://www.romfx.com/

Polycase SL-64P SL Series Slender Profile ABS Electronics Enclosure
-----------

Jameco 99996 Speaker, Sq. Ferrite, 2.6", 4ohm
------------

Standard DPDT center-off toggle switch
----------

Heavy duty 9v snap connectors
----------

Battery tray made from scrap abs

Speaker cable and plug taken from rom f/x unit

Bit of metal screen for the speaker grill

Picture hangers for the loops

Some narrow nylon strap and a lobster clip from an old keychain

Rubber grommet for the mic cord hole (optional)

Assorted screws, nuts, bolts to hold it all together

Unidirectional corded headset mic (taken from old Aker amp)

------------

1/8" cylindrical rare earth magnets (8) to replace back cover screws

------

Here are some pics:

---------

(edited to add parts list)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working