Tip: great way for cutting straight lines & trimming

In my garrison and on CTN I'm the guy who's dremel skills are so bad I manslaughtered a pair of HIPS holsters I was trying to trim. Since then I just don't cut plastic.

However I found this and gave it a go:

Dremel Diamond Cutoff wheel.

-----

And it worked fantastic! It's thinner, cuts straighter, and melts very little plastic when cutting.

I draw a line in pencil/marker first and can now cut straight lines. Clean up the edge with a mouse sander and it looks almost perfect. There is almost nothing to clean up after cutting - I'll never use anything else again.

A great alternative for us who can't buy a bandsaw w/o the wife noticing, or who have trouble with the score & snap method.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

I just saw these the other day at Home Depot. They only sell them for the new EZ lock attachment though. I passed for now, but they might be worth a try.

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

another way I found to trim off the pesky curves, best is it is only $0.29

take 4 pennies,hot glue them together flush.

center a quarter on it and glue it also.

use a razor knife blade, and let the tip hang alittle lower, or just the same depth as the quarter, and glue it.

This will let you run the quarter along the edges, catching the curves,and score with the blade. it only takes off a quarter inch at a time, and you can keep the same curves as the original with out having to draw.

just score it and snap, or retrace a couple of times and cut.

Boozel

• 3 years later...
another way I found to trim off the pesky curves, best is it is only $0.29

take 4 pennies,hot glue them together flush.

center a quarter on it and glue it also.

use a razor knife blade, and let the tip hang alittle lower, or just the same depth as the quarter, and glue it.

This will let you run the quarter along the edges, catching the curves,and score with the blade. it only takes off a quarter inch at a time, and you can keep the same curves as the original with out having to draw.

just score it and snap, or retrace a couple of times and cut.

Boozel

Boozel way is also a great method to reduce small amounts of armor for trimming, i made a couple 1/4,1/2,3/4 inch.

and my sister uses her dremel with a diamond cutoff tip for all her crafts,and my brother and law uses it for every thing!!!!!

Both are a great!!!! even better if used together!!!