ATA armor..What else do I need to buy.

Hello everyone,

I will be putting in my order for an ATA set in the next couple of weeks, but I would like to get everything I need to prevent any delays in assembling. I read that the ATA suit pieces have to be butt jointed with finishing strips....does the kit come with these strips? Will i need a rivet gun, and if so what rivets do i need to buy. As far as glue goes, all i have now is a new tube of E-6000...will this be all i need? Please feel free to suggest things i may want to pick up for the build.

Thanks for the help!

Go to K&J Magnetics and score around 30 neodimium magnets... the small coin shaped ones about 5/8" in diameter and 1/4" tall. An array of clamps from the hardware store... the plastic pinch clamps, maybe a few of the Irwin ratcheting kind. Some Blue painter's masking tape, and around two tubes of E-6000. Not sure what others will suggest here but I have utilized 1/8" rivets for my knee bandolier and knee plate only.

The strips should come with the kit, They should be 15mm for arms and 20mm for legs (unless I've overlooked any strip width discussions).

The E-6000 is flexable and aids in keeping the armor from cracking at the flex joints. It's also tough and strong. my .02

Go to K&J Magnetics and score around 30 neodimium magnets... the small coin shaped ones about 5/8" in diameter and 1/4" tall. An array of clamps from the hardware store... the plastic pinch clamps, maybe a few of the Irwin ratcheting kind. Some Blue painter's masking tape, and around two tubes of E-6000. Not sure what others will suggest here but I have utilized 1/8" rivets for my knee bandolier and knee plate only.

The strips should come with the kit, They should be 15mm for arms and 20mm for legs (unless I've overlooked any strip width discussions).

The E-6000 is flexable and aids in keeping the armor from cracking at the flex joints. It's also tough and strong. my .02

Does the ATA kit come with the finishing strips and shims?

Thanks!

On 12/16/2010 at 8:40 AM, Sonnenschein said:

Strips yes, shims no ;)

You can simply use the extra trimmings from your kit to shim the inside if you want.

This is also a great thread for tools / materials required.

--------

The Imperial Reception Center is a great place for info on construction, helpful threads / discussion links, and where to buy links

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

My ATA kit came with a 18" X 18" sheet of HIPS. It was more than enough for me to do my finishing strips. You might wanna get the proper "S" neck trim material. CA glue is also helpful when you need to bond something quick because the E6000 needs time to cure/harden. Check out TK-4510's supplies he has on his website.

• 2 years later...

Just want to raise this topic as more proper by my questions.

What hardware come with ATA ABS kit? What type of neck trim - U or S type? Dark green or Standard acetate lens?

Man ?!

This thread is 3 years old.

There is no hardware except the helmet kit with s-trim, nuts and screws and dark greens lens material.

And you could simply ask that ATA yourself ;)

My ATA kit came with a 18" X 18" sheet of HIPS. It was more than enough for me to do my finishing strips. You might wanna get the proper "S" neck trim material. CA glue is also helpful when you need to bond something quick because the E6000 needs time to cure/harden. Check out TK-4510's supplies he has on his website.

The kit should come with the neck trim.  My helmet kit did.