The 2011 Idea Thread

Daetrin

Hey guys!

2010 has been a great success on many levels -

* New forum upgrade & skin

* Launch of the Imperial Reception Center (Academy)

* Posting of the Legion CRL's

* Support of C5

* Launch of the Newsletter

* Re-organizing the forums to make content easier to find

And much more.

In essence, 2010 was all about "Troopers Helping Troopers". While we are happy for all we achieved, for next year we'd like to focus more fun aspects of the hobby.

We'd love to hear your ideas for what you'd love to see in 2011 - what can we do to make FISD your favorite place for all things stormtrooper, and this forum more enjoyable for all?

Hi Paul,

I would just like to take this time and say how much the FISD means to me it has help me a lot on my armour builds and the main thing how many freinds i have made along the way truley Troopers helping Troopers but like i say it goes behond that i cant praise this site anouth B) .Theres so much to list for 2010 like you mentiond , and what we would like to see for 2011 , i would luv some of the troopers photos to apear in 3D but i guess that would cost quite a bit to do , just a thought B) and also to have a world map of all the FISD EIB Troopers and there photo apear over there countries .

Thanks Again All That Run The FISD

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

TK7270

Steve

I'd like to see the forum be made Tapatalk compatible for the iPhone, iPad, and iTouch (and Android devices as well). I regularly check my Garrison's forum and the RPF with that app and it makes it easier to read and access on the go. Other than that I think the strides made this year were fantastic, great work!

Edited by CureMode

Thanks to those who take care of this site.

ideas:

-easy to find TK movie reference pictures/videos.

-more reasons to become EIB(working on it but not very motivated).

-Trooper of the month photo.

-funny photo of the month.

-contests.

-a different image on the page every couple of months (MEPD did it).

I put on the table these ideas:

the mentors concept. (a section/map where people can sign up to help other troopers. and where troopers can sign up to be helped.)

a mission statement crawl for the intro.

the FISD logo boldly on the front page.

EIB for Stunt and hero ANH.

a better way for the EIB page to display the individual trooper when clicked (right now it sometimes has broken links, no card graphics on some troopers, and when it's clicked it does not always appear in front of the area where you've clicked- making it hard to navigate.

a charity section. ( a section for FISD charities and tools to spread the word about official FISD charity works. including links, widgets and donation buttons )

my leatherwork added to the reception center?

Thanks to those who take care of this site.

ideas:

-easy to find TK movie reference pictures/videos.

-more reasons to become EIB(working on it but not very motivated).

-Trooper of the month photo.

-funny photo of the month.

-contests.

-a different image on the page every couple of months (MEPD did it).

great ideas!! :duim:

I'd like to see the forum be made Tapatalk compatible for the iPhone, iPad, and iTouch (and Android devices as well). I regularly check my Garrison's forum and the RPF with that app and it makes it easier to read and access on the go. Other than that I think the strides made this year were fantastic, great work!

Also love the idea of a forum app for Android/Apple.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a newbie so therefore my feedback may be helpful.

There are too many categories as a newbie. For example there are "Armor an Helmets, Armor Builds, Assembly Mod and Paintings". I find it easy to miss stuff and these categories too similar.

Also, what category would you post in. If I'm working on ESB armor and have questions but also want to show off my armor there are 3 or 4 categories it may fit it.

Finally a "New Post" button would be helpful.

:D

Jason, have you been to the Imperial Reception Center yet? It was set up specifically to help new members and infrequent visitors find their way around.

If you have an ESB-specific question (handplates, black frowns, etc.), I'd post in the "ESB Stormtroopers" subforum. If it's a question that is more generic in nature, I'd post to one of the subforums in the Basic Training area.

As far as a "New Post" button, if the request is to single out recent posts, then at the top right of the page there is a link that says "View New Content".

:)

As far as a "New Post" button, if the request is to single out recent posts, then at the top right of the page there is a link that says "View New Content".

:)

Awesome - Thanks!

I never noticed that or knew what it was. :o

Edited by Stormy320

What would be REALLY cool is that when you click on this expert_infantry_badge1.pngyou see that person's EIB photos !

Is this possible ?

:0Lighten:

I like Pat's ideas, what if all the medals & badges on someone's avatar bit were clickable & gave the reason the individual recieved it with pics.?

I like Pat's ideas, what if all the medals & badges on someone's avatar bit were clickable & gave the reason the individual recieved it with pics.?

i agree, not sure if it is possible..

it is easy to make a signature link to a eib profile page though.

example.. click my eib signature (thanks for the idea pat ;))

Yup, we can do that. Neat idea :)

** ducks before Damian can throw a rock his way **

Yes that's a good idea

I suggested the same with our clearance photos and names on the UKG boards

Helps put a face to a name.

Thing is it'll add to the sites bandwidth ad you'll have to save the photos somewhere

Or just get us to host them and the hyperlink is down to our hosting?

The one thing that I think would be a help to the new FISD members is to update our CRL with the breakdown of the verbal information with a reference picture of that component or piece, like what they did on 501st.com and MEPD. I think a lot of people process the information better if they have a visual and it doesn't overwhelm them.

I know our CRL does have sub-links to the breakdowns of the armor/weapons/accessories with tutorials, tips, etc. and at the very bottom has reference photos that you can download. But it is not as helpful as it would be if the verbal information had an immediate visual for a guide.

Take a look at the three different CRL links from the 501st.com, MEPD.net, and Whitearmor.net. You will see what I am talking about as to how the 501st and the MEPD have done theirs. I think this would be a big help for new members here to have the visual with the break down of the verbal.

FISD CRL link for ANH Stunt TK

501st.com CRL link for ANH Stunt TK

MEPD.net CRL link for the TD

There is saying: "A picture is worth a thousand words" ;)

The one thing that I think would be a help to the new FISD members is to update our CRL with the breakdown of the verbal information with a reference picture of that component or piece, like what they did on 501st.com and MEPD. I think a lot of people process the information better if they have a visual and it doesn't overwhelm them.

I know our CRL does have sub-links to the breakdowns of the armor/weapons/accessories with tutorials, tips, etc. and at the very bottom has reference photos that you can download. But it is not as helpful as it would be if the verbal information had an immediate visual for a guide.

Take a look at the three different CRL links from the 501st.com, MEPD.net, and Whitearmor.net. You will see what I am talking about as to how the 501st and the MEPD have done theirs. I think this would be a big help for new members here to have the visual with the break down of the verbal.

FISD CRL link for ANH Stunt TK

501st.com CRL link for ANH Stunt TK

MEPD.net CRL link for the TD

There is saying: "A picture is worth a thousand words" ;)

agreed. having struggled with dyslexia for years i find that visual information is far easier to comprehend/absorb than written info any day.. ;) also i believe updating the crl's is on the to-do list

agreed. having struggled with dyslexia for years i find that visual information is far easier to comprehend/absorb than written info any day.. ;)

Plus, I don't think that doing this would be that difficult of a process for the FISD CRL.

I too have a form of dyslexia and know where you are coming from, Mason.

• 2 weeks later...

Another idea that I thought of that may help people that are new to building. The FISD has all this great information, like tutorials, how tos, but it is only in web form. Is it possible to make at least the tutorials and how tos in a PDF format so if the person that is working on something can have it in hand as a hard copy, rather than having to go back and forth to their computer and maybe loosing their place where they were in the information of the tutorial or how to.

It is kind of like Map Questing directions and then be able to print them out.

Just a thought.

• 6 months later...

Rogue, I like that idea. Printouts would be helpful, but could we also make a category strictly to hold links to "video tutorials"? I know when I built my bucket, I used the video tutorials supplied by TK-4510, and man, it was sooo much better watching a "hands on" video showing "cut here" or "glue here" guides. He really did a great job on that video, and should be commended. Helped me turn a heap of ABS into a great looking 1st stormtrooper lid!

Maybe someone could tackle the awesome task of making a video tutorial for basic armor assembly, to compliment TK-4510's bucket guide, and similar vids could be accessed from one area, instead of spread out across the board. Links could also be provided to the downloadable pdf's talked about in that section, for "hands on" builders reference as well. Just a thought.

I know FISD has become a valuable link for me, and I find myself checking almost every day, for info, and build tidbits. I plan to do more helmets in the future, ( like a Hasbro clone helmet conversion, and a blackhole trooper helmet ), so I know FISD and fellow sites will be where to turn for the info I need.

Let's just face it, FISD is THE PLACE for all things trooper related! Bravo FISD, and I am proud to be a member.

Sincerely,

"NewTrooper2" :smiley-sw013: