Slacker's Armor Build [*VT]

I have the thighs glued together and sized (somewhat). I haven't put the cover strips on because I want to make sure everything is good before i go forward.

Question is on sizing the thigh parts. I went ahead and made them more fitted like the photos of the original troopers. When I have the upper thigh parts on, it's nearly impossible to bend down far enough to put on the shin parts. Is this normal? Seems like I need to shorten the thigh parts, but what it is the top of the front part jams up against my upper thigh and the back part only allows my leg to bend half way. Is there a trick to wearing this stuff? I'll see if I can't take a photo with the test fit.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you are wearing the white armor, your mobility is somewhat restricted.

If you can, please post pix, that will help us to give you our opinion if you are wearing the thighs in the correct position or let you know if you if you need to trim them. :)

Here are some shots, front and back. I have the backs of the shins taped together because I haven't done any of the attaching/strapping yet, and am holding the thighs up. I guess it's time to build the strapping for them.

legsfront.jpg

legsback.jpg

I think I need to trim up the return edge at the top to give myself a little more space to move in.

One more gratuitous shot for my buddies watching this thread, with the chest armor sitting on there, and the helmet. B)

frontcy.jpg

Edited by Slacker

Hello - new here.

I myself am awaiting a VT armor kit to arrive in the mail (a gift from a family member) so I will need some coaching on working with this kit. Where can I find the tutorial on trimming ABS?

Please keep posting your progress on your kit as it will GREATLY help me in finishing mine. Also, if you have any other links that would be appropriate for me to examine regarding my VT kit, please post them.

I will be needing a belt for my armor so if anyone has one for sale I'm looking.

I think your shins could go a little lower, they look like they're riding up / sitting too high.

In regards to the thighs, I would make them fitted at the bottom and top with just a little wiggle room. A lot of people leave way too much room and the thighs are swinging around. I think you should pull the thighs up another inch or so.

If you need some more mobility, you can cut some notches in the lower thigh behind the knee.

I think your shins could go a little lower, they look like they're riding up / sitting too high.

In regards to the thighs, I would make them fitted at the bottom and top with just a little wiggle room. A lot of people leave way too much room and the thighs are swinging around. I think you should pull the thighs up another inch or so.

If you need some more mobility, you can cut some notches in the lower thigh behind the knee.

Thanks Pandatrooper, I'll see if I can't get the shins to drop down and adjust the thighs. Without your tutorials, I couldn't have done this!

Frosty, all I can say is follow Pandatroopers tutorials on arms and thighs, it will save a lot of trouble. This kit is very labor intensive, and requires a ton of trimming and fitting. I have friends that want to do this too, waiting for me to finish-- I'm going to suggest they buy a set from one of the forum sources. This is a very nice kit, it's just my fingers are pretty beat up from all the trimming and fitting. I ended up using a pair of kitchen meat scissors to trim most of it, and a bench grinder. Also, I hope you aren't a big guy, I'm probably about maxxed out on this one size wise. I'm 5'11" and about 185 on a good day.

*EDIT. I've come to the realization that I made the thighs too tight at the top, and that I have a big butt. While good for my wife, not good for my armor, so I'm cutting the thighs apart. I'll be back once I get this worked out!

Edited by Slacker

Thanks for the links.

I have to admit, I am a bit overwhelmed with all this - and I havent even recieved my armor kit yet.

I have to be patient and stop looking at the total picture and just focus one ONE piece at a time.

Can anyone tell me if the VT kit I am getting will come with the joining strips - I'm assuming it comes with everything I need minus the 'soft' parts and harness pieces.

The kit should come with the strips. Usually a sheet that you cut yourself (use a straight edge and an exacto knife to score straight lines and snap).

Just focus on one piece. I always like to start with biceps as they are easy.

I was overwhelmed when I started. As Pandatrooper says, just work on one part at a time. I've spent countless dollars on straps, snaps, tools, blades, scissors, etc. The kit I bought came with everything you need to assemble the armor, including pre cut cover strips. Find a JoAnn's Fabric store by your house and be ready to make a few trips to get it wearable.

Arms are easy- cut your trimming teeth on the 02 cannister. I trimmed out the cannister parts for the very first part I touched- pretty hard to screw that one up. I then did the helmet, which people say you shouldn't do first, but it wasn't that bad. The thighs have proved to be the hardest part for me as I made them too small, thinking they should be tight all the way up. In reality, I should have put them on and bent my knee to flex my thigh when I measured.

Suggestion- start an armor build thread like I did even though you don't have your kit yet, or the day you get it. These guys are quick to help, and offer sage advice. Without them my TK wouldn't be as accurate.

Fantastic - you guys are really good at giving some support. This would not be the case on the RPF as there are a TON of over-opinionated members who would rather bash you for your armor purchase rather than help you.

I just recieved my shipping confirmation for my armor so it is on its way :)

The only thing I don't have right now is the boots, but just ordered a helmet liner from Fenixprops and still shopping around for a voice kit that I fancy.

I should be starting my own thread here soon - I would very much welcome any and all feedback. Thanks for making my build process easy for me...

Ok, I did the first full test fitting last night. I don't have all the strapping done yet, just wanted an idea of how cool it was going to look. :rolleyes: I was right, it's totally cool.

testfit.jpg

I need to lower the bicep strap, add the strap for the forearm part. I don't see how I would ever get a glove/handplate combo through the left wrist opening. I wish my forearm armor parts were the same on both sides even though these are based on original parts. I really hate using rubber gloves, they are cheap looking. I know, screen accurate- my wife even said :blink: rubber gloves?

I'm going to search for some piano wire now to make accurate brackets for the cod/chest plate parts. I haven't cut the butt section from the kidney plate yet, but i won't have enough return edge for the original style brackets when I do. I think I may just do snap plates for that part. So far I guess I don't have any questions. When I get everything to the point it's feeling right, I'll post pics for critique.

Edited by Slacker

Hey Mike, all and all you test fit looks good.

You need to lower your belt and move it slightly to your right, to center it. (Please look at the pix below)

You also need to lower your biceps a wee bit. Have a look at the pix below from the several ANH TKs. ( screen grab, behind the scenes, and publicity photo) .

As you can see, some of the bicep armor is worn a little lower ( depending on the length of the persons arms.)

Keep up the good work Bro!

BTW, if you have not looked at this link, it will help with attaching the belt to the AB plate: http://www.whitearmor.net/home/tutorials/armor-tutorials/belts.html

Armorhelp1.jpg

Amrorhelp.jpg

Thanks, I'll adjust that stuff this weekend.

Question- the shoulder bell has a strap that runs around the arm. I see a few shots of bicep parts with a hook added, but some look like they don't have a hook. Do all have a hook and I just don't see it?

And hey, I LIKE GAFFERS TAPE. I plan on making a suit from it next.

The clip hook that you are talking about was on a few of the biceps, but not all of them.

Just take the suit that Han wore, his right bicep had the hook, but his left one didn't.

I know that the hook does help keep your biceps from twisting somewhat, so it is up to the individual as to how they want to do their suit.

BTW, LMAO :laugh1: Great pic of the duct tape suit. :salute:

Working on strapping and brackets this weekend. I looked and looked for Piano wire locally, and it just doesn't exist (unless you buy Piano strings, which are expensive). Well, I found an alternative for spooled piano wire that is cheap and easy to get- a wire whisk. They are made from Piano wire and available at any WalMart! Pics of my brackets attached with elastic:

bracketb.jpg

bracket1d.jpg

LBW00010.jpg

The wait for my armor is tough, but any day now!

One thing I've seen a whole lot of is that there is no one way to attach your armor - there are a lot of options out there and any will do the trick, so long as the finished product (you in the armor) looks authentic.

Once I get all my stuff in the mail (I LOVE package day!) I will head out to the fabric store and start stocking up on straps and pick up some industrial velcro at Home Depot.

So far, your armor looks top notch and I can't wait to achieve great results too!

Frosty, I considered straps and snap plates as they would probably be easier to do than these brackets. But once I got it all together and did a test fit, I'm happy I chose this method. Something about how the chest plate fits to the ab plate, it just looks and feels right. I'm hoping for a final test fit by next weekend, I've pretty much wore myself out doing what I did this weekend. I've been at it 20 days now, working almost every day at least a little, and some days more than others. The next set I do will be much easier I bet, as there was a lot of learning involved, and time wasted trying differnt things.

Thanks, I'll adjust that stuff this weekend.

Question- the shoulder bell has a strap that runs around the arm. I see a few shots of bicep parts with a hook added, but some look like they don't have a hook. Do all have a hook and I just don't see it?

And hey, I LIKE GAFFERS TAPE. I plan on making a suit from it next.

The hook is optional. The strap you see is a piece of elastic that holds the bell close to your arm so you won't have it flopping around.

EDIT: Looks like I had an old cached view of this thread when I answered, and didn't know it had already been discussed.

Edited by Locitus