Slacker's Armor Build [*VT]

Ok. I was asked to chronicle my armor build. I'm pretty handy, and have been putting the tools together to do this right. My plan is to do a combination of screen accurate and sturdy for my build. Basically, I am going to hand make the metal brackets from piano wire for my strapping. I've purchased the strapping from firebladejedi to take advantage of the knowledge he already put into makeing a complete set of straps, and to keep my out of JoAnns Fabric store- those middle age housewives look at me like fresh meat, a 40 something man shopping in a craft store at 10 in the morning.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=13324

When I opened the box, it's a bit overwhelming as others have stated, but I've waited a LOOOOONG time for this and never really thought it would ever happen.

Belt purchased from TKittel:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=10293&st=0&p=129983&hl=tkittel&fromsearch=1entry129983

Neckseal is going to come from TK409 (actually, I think Mrs. TK409 :) )

So, here is the first pic- more to come, but it may take me a few days to get started on it- first I have to convice my wife that this isn't a Christmas present, which may be difficult. I'm impressed so far with the quality- I've seen other comments on VT armor being more difficult to assemble, but I'm ready for the challenge. The packaging was great, so I hope the rest is too. It looks pretty nice, and it's pretty thick too!

post-14197-088468200 1292347253_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slacker

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This is not going to be easy for sure, lots of trimming required with this kit. I've never had another, so I'm assuming it's typical. It's really overwhelming when you take everything out of the box, so I am going to put it all back in the box and just keep out the leg parts to start with.

Edited by Slacker

Couldn't resist, I worked on the helmet. Something about having the helmet done to give you the drive to work on the armor. Here are the first in process photos. Once I started, I realised it's not that hard to do, as other say just take your time.

I am using the original DaveM Stunt helmet as my guide, along with TK4702's VT helmet build thread as a reference (thanks so much for posting that one). I did have one issue with the bottom of the cap n back being trimmed too much- I didn't do this, it came this way. There is a cut corner that shows at the bottom- not sure if I should trim the rest to mate up with that or just leave well enough alone.

post-14197-017244300 1293463831_thumb.jpg

post-14197-088906200 1293463848_thumb.jpg

post-14197-060464700 1293463854_thumb.jpg

Hey Mike, You lid work looks good. If it was mine, I would probably raise the brow a wee bit, since it is a Stunt lid. As for the bottom edge of the cap/back, VT's are known for not having as much lip on the rim. There are several ways you can mask this. Just trim it smooth, like I show you in the pic below.

Or if you can, weenie the cap and back slightly back and weenie the ears slightly forward. This will kinda mask the transition of the rim of the cap and back to the face plate and raise the brow slightly, like a Stunt lid would be. No matter what, you will still need to trim the bottom edge of the tubes of the face plate to make it a smooth transition for the rim. Once you get the gasket trim around the neck/rim of the helmet, you won't notice it. But the easiest way, without having to take your helmet totally apart and have to re-position everything is just ot go ahead and trim out the edges kinda like I posted in the picture below.

If you have any question, just holler. If you can post a pic of the whole bottom of the helmet. I can kinda give you a guideline of where you need to trim.

piHZnC8.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Thanks! I will work on raising the brown a bit. I had a heck of a time getting it this high and still having the faceplate and cap-n-back line up properly. Should I trim the top or try to tilt it back more? I'll try to tiit it first and see if that gets it. I'll also get a shot of the bottom.

I first would try tilting the cap and back before doing any trimming. See how that does before snipping anything. Post some pix when you get a chance. :duim:

VTproblem.jpg

The brow looks great, :salute: just like a stunt :smiley-sw013:

When you get the ears painted, and back on the lid, just post a pic of the full bottom of the lid, and I will help you to determine on where the neck area should be trimmed, if you want.. :salute:

Tom

Thanks Tom. Your guidance is greatly appreciated! Using your advice, here is the finished product. Still need to paint the screws, but everything else is done. I brought the lip down to match the set for stun original helmet (my pattern), and I trimmed the bottom up so the gap is gone as you suggested (didn't need to trim as much after repositioning the ears). Next is the armor, starting with the forearms as suggested by Pandatrooper.

helmet4.jpg

davemanh02.jpg

Edited by Slacker

Started working on the arm assembly. I'm doing one side at a time to get a better feel for how it goes together. There is a learning curve to trimming this stuff even using the tutorials. I've noticed that it's a combination of all the methods to get it right- I'm using Pandatroopers tutorial which is great. I'm not 100% sure how much of a return edge these parts should have, so I made it a little larger and sanded them down. I've put some photos of my progress- if anything looks out of place let me know. I'm not 100% sure how much to trim the shoulder bell either, so I made it as large as possible.

bicep.jpg

wristo.jpg

armm.jpg

Edited by Slacker

Great work on the lid Mike. :smiley-sw013:

Your trim work on the shoulder bell and Bicep look right. But, the return edge on your forearm needs to be trimmed back more. On the original TK armor, the forearms didn't have a return edge at the wrist, and very, very little to none at the elbow.

Look at the pix of the original armor and you will see what I am talking about:

TKforearmreturnedge6.jpg

TKforearmreturnedge2.jpg

TKforearmreturnedge5.jpg

TKforearmreturnedge9.jpg

TKforearmreturnedge7.jpg

TKforearmreturnedge1.jpg

If this was mine, I would trim the forearms like the originals..

TKforearmreturnedge3.jpg

Keep up the good work man!

Here is a link that some pix that will help ya: stormtrooper reference library :)

Have fun, if you need help, just yell!

Happy New Year!

Tom

Edited by RogueTrooper

Almost have both arm done (forearm, bicep, shoulder bell). This kit is "screen accurate" and is different than the fan made kits in that the parts are not symetrical. The forearms are really different from each other- the left side is quite small compared to the right. So small that I had to leave a larger ridge on each side towards the rear of the forearm to get the thing to fit me, and I don't have fat arms. I put a photo of the seam- I can't see any other way of making this look screen accurate, i.e. without showing the ridge on either side of the outside strip?

lforearmseam.jpg

Wrist opening mods:

wristopenings.jpg

The difference between the two forearms:

forearms.jpg

forearmsback.jpg

Looks good Mike. :duim:

BTW, the VT kit is derived/recast of TE stuff. With the TE armor, the left forearm was cast from a screen used ROTJ suit and the right forearm was cast from a tour suit. i.e. that is why the two are different.

Keep up the good work man. :)

Also the same applies to the biceps, but the right bicep is screen used and the left bicep is tour.

Checked this about TE arms:

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/tutorials/armor-tutorials/arms.html

tearms.jpg

I have my arms complete (save for the strapping, which I am doing last). I have the greaves done (shins) and they were pretty straight forward (thanks to the links RougeTroooper posted I matched them to actual photos).

I'm doing the thigh parts right now and have a question on sizing. In Pandatroopers tutorial he says to leave 3 fingers of room on the bottom, but the screen shots seem to show very fitted thighs. I have trimmed these large at this point, and glued the front seam. (I cheated a little and did an overlap seam on the front, but not all the way. I did the same on the shin parts and they look awesome, putting the cover strip over the seam). Anyway, how tight can I go on the lower part of the thigh and still be wearable? I like the slim look, and noticed some guys have "bell bottom thighs" for lack of a better term. I think it looks better tight- so what works best for trooping?

Edited by Slacker

Hey Mike, I said go for the slim look, just make sure that they are comfortable and you can move well.

BTW, when you do your test fittings, make sure that you are wearing your black under armor, or something clingy like your under armor. ( That way you know your armor hangs or fits right to your body.) :)

Can wait to see more.....

BTW, when you do your test fittings, make sure that you are wearing your black under armor, or something clingy like your under armor. ( That way you know your armor hangs or fits right to your body.) :)

Can wait to see more.....

I'm wearing it. My wife is laughing her a#$ off at me, but she will give in once she see's the complete project. I'll get farther along and take some photos of the thigh/shin fitting.

After trying on the cod/ab section with the thigh/shins, I see why I never see a Stormtrooper sitting down. B)

Edited by Slacker

After trying on the cod/ab section with the thigh/shins, I see why I never see a Stormtrooper sitting down. B)

Some troopers cut/split their cod from their AB section. (more mobile) But the original screen used are not the way...I guess they didn't take coffee breaks on the Deathstar. :deathstar1::lol:

I'm wearing it. My wife is laughing her a#$ off at me, but she will give in once she see's the complete project.

She will get used to it...If you really want to have some fun with her, put on your under armor and play this below for her.dancing-1121.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEtx2YTcD94