Belt Advice

So, I am just about ready to shoot my photos for acceptance and EIB, but I have one last hurdle to overcome, and it is my belt/holster.

When I first started my build, the torso was one of the first pieces I made, so I didn't have a lot of experience, and went with my own kind of wonky way of attaching my belt to my torso.

Here is what I did, As you can see I use three snaps to connect the belt to the torso, one in the middle and two at each end.

5155520746_f72a0a4abd_z.jpg

5154912441_12a3b3f4fc_z.jpg

The belt itself attaches with velcro, and it has a hole in each end so the snap can fit through.

5155521122_f8b68789b2_z.jpg

5155521540_0e66e60e1c_z.jpg

This has actually worked really well for me, but now that my pipe build is finished, I am afraid that the belt simply will not support the weight of the holster and blaster. My belt is not reinforced with plastic like I want it to be, but I am out of options. My limitations are that the belt has to be one solid piece to each end of the plastic belt. In addition there are going to be snaps in the way, so it has to allow for them to go through.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Could you not get a canvas belt or simply sew a backing of some sort in between 2 layers or just simply behind your elastic?

If you stitched 2/3 layers of that stuff you have together it will work and be more of a stiffer belt :)

Why did you chose that to make a belt from anyway?

Sean that won't pass EIB. Just get a canvas belt on the sales section in this forum or i can sell you one for the same price.

:)

I never said it would pass EIB, hence my request for advice. I would like a canvas belt but all the belts people make come with snaps already installed, and the way my belt attaches is not like anything anyone sells.

My attachment system will not hinder EIB, it is the material of my current belt that will. I need a sturdy belt that will be able to take advantage of my current snap system (which at this point I cannot change)

Edited by snoberg

Could you not get a canvas belt or simply sew a backing of some sort in between 2 layers or just simply behind your elastic?

If you stitched 2/3 layers of that stuff you have together it will work and be more of a stiffer belt :)

Why did you chose that to make a belt from anyway?

As I said... it was my first piece. I didn't know any better.

I never said it would pass EIB, hence my request for advice. I would like a canvas belt but all the belts people make come with snaps already installed, and the way my belt attaches is not like anything anyone sells.

My attachment system will not hinder EIB, it is the material of my current belt that will. I need a sturdy belt that will be able to take advantage of my current snap system (which at this point I cannot change)

None of all belts I've seen for sale here on the boards have snaps pre-installed.

Why not fix it like this?

- Remove your current belt fabric (the blue lines in the diagram). Looks like they are velcroed on.

- Get yourself a canvas belt.

- lay the canvas on top of your current belt armor, and make marks on the belt that line up with the female snaps in the belt amor

- punch holes through the canvas belt.

- install male snaps on the outside of the belt, and female snaps on the inside (you can use 1/8" rivets with a small backing washer, or use 3/16" rivets, but you will need to enlarge the snap holes slightly.

- now you can snap the belt armor onto the canvas belt. And snap the completed belt onto your ab armor.

- install your holster per usual methods.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

The other thing I was going to suggest was simply to velcro or glue a piece of plastic to the inside of the belt on your holster side. It will prevent sagging and not be visible from the outside, but I like Terry's idea better :)

Terry, thanks for the awesome diagram! My current belt is indeed velcroed on, so removing it will not be too big of an issue. I think you have a really good idea. Do you think having a snap on top of a snap will make the belt sit off the armor too far though?? What do you think about instead of having a snap on the belt, to instead have three holes for my existing snaps to go through? My only concern there would be fraying along the edges of the canvas, what are your thoughts? I am just scared that having that added layer of snaps will make my belt and torso snaps be off ever so slightly and not be able to connect, if ya follow me?

Paul, do you have any experience with a fill size resin blaster? I only ask cause I am not sure how much it will actually pull down on the belt. Mine feels pretty hefty, do you suggest a canvas belt with plastic reinforcement?

Edited by snoberg

Actually Sean I never really holster my weapon, and thus have never worried about it. I think a canvas belt with plastic reinforcement is a great place to start and some vendors make them that way. You can also put some velcro or a snap back there too, but others would be better enabled to chime in their experiences.

For the belt, I don't think an extra 1/8" of thickness will make a big difference. I wouldn't cut bigger holes in the canvas, not worth the trouble of fraying.

One thing to consider: how did you glue on the rivet covers on the belt armor? Can they be removed and then you can reassemble the belt in a more commonly used method?

My Doopys pipe kit is heavier than a modded Hasbro, but a bit lighter than a solid resin blaster. But as Paul mentioned, I find it's still kind of heavy to holster it. I would definitely either use some kind of plastic reinforcement inside the belt, or an additional snap / velcro to prevent the blaster from pulling the belt down.

You'll also find that with the extra weight of the blaster that even if the belt looks OK, your whole torso will be tilted to one side slightly. You can pad it or something, but it's something to consider. Or just carry the blaster as much as possible, and only holster it when necessary.

My step son's belt and mine. I glued piece of plastics to hold a snap in place wich goes to the canvas belt or to the ab plate.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I replace the snaps with screw posts.

called chicago screws.

they never come off, but you can completely remove it with a flathead

screwdriver

and with that kind of support it carries a lot more weight to the

ab plate.

using suspenders to hold up the AB plate usually are a must.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392