2007 JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes in Denver

Scott M.

I am writing you all to see if there is any interest in supporting a fellow trooper, and possibly coming to Denver for the JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes on September 16th. Here is my story, so I ask you all to sit back, grab a Thermal Detonator, and read a few lines.....

I have been a Type 1 diabetic since I was 15 years old. For the last 7 years, I have participated in the local JDRF Walk to Cure diabetes here in Denver. Diabetes is one of the most expensive chronic illnesses to treat, and accounts for more health complications than any other disease. There is a person diagnosed with Type 1, or Juvenile, diabetes every hour of every day, and the number of diabetics doubles in this country every 9 years. An amazing 7% of the US Population have diabetes.

It is a little known fact that Type 1 diabetes is NOT a child disease. Although Type 1 usually is diagnosed in children, adults up to the ages of 50 and even 60 have been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Another little know fact is that you NEVER grow out of Type 1 diabetes. An astounding 100% of all children diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes will grow up to be adults with Type 1 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes CANNOT be avoided. Many people associate adults with diabetes as someone who overeats, or eats too much sugar, or just does not live a healthy lifestyle; therefore, have brought it on themselves. This is simply not true. Type 1 diabetes attacks all types of people, regardless of their health habits, age gender, race, religion, or Star Wars affiliation.

Now, why did I say all this? It is simple; I would like your help. I believe that Type 1 diabetes can be cured. I believe that someday I will not have to wear an insulin pump. I believe someday I, like millions of children and adults all over the world, will not have to use a sharp instrument to poke myself several times a day to extract blood and measure it to see if my blood sugar is too high or too low. I also believe that JDRF will be the major player in making this happen. I so believe it that I joined the local JDRF board of directors last year in order to be active as a voice and a reminder that Adults have Type 1 diabetes, and it NEVER goes away.

So, now maybe, just maybe, you are asking how you can help. Well I am glad you asked, because I do have a few ideas.

1) Come to Denver on September 16th and walk with me in armor, as our Garrison is trooping the event. We will be there beforehand to greet the kids, and bring a smile to many faces of kids with Type 1 diabetes. Here is a link to join the Mountain Garrison Walk team in Denver 2007 Denver JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes registration

2) Start your own walk team in a city near you. JDRF holds over 200 walks all over the country, and they would love to have a few troopers out to help. Get your local garrison involved and make it a huge event. You can PM me if you need the local contacts. JDRF walk central

3) Sponsor me as I walk 2.5 miles in armor and make a noticeable contribution to JDRF in the name of the 501st. Here is a link where you can sign up to sponsor me (and the local 501st walk team) as we walk to Cure Diabetes 2007 JDRF Sponsor link

My goal this year is to raise over $2,000 for this event by myself, and hopefully raise over $3,000 as a walk team. As an incentive, I am offering anyone who is willing to come out to Denver and walk with me this fabulous walk T-Shirt.

JDRFT-Shirt.jpg.787cd1559a97265f74d3f5a52bab1332.jpg

Also, if any of you personally are willing to sponsor me for at least $75, I will send you a shirt for you generous support.

JDRF is considered one of the leaders in funding of diabetes research, and over 80% of all monies raised go to research. Last year in Denver alone, JDRF funded over $3 million in research, and this year we have set a fundraising goal of over $850,000 for the Denver walk.

Thanks for looking, and I will thank you in advance for any support you can provide, in any way.

:trooper: Type 1 Trooper

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Wish I could be there in person, but since I can't at least I can help sponsor you. I look forward to the t-shirt :)

Diabetes runs in my family - this is a great cause!

Dammit Paul, you are to quick on trigger finger. :6:

Scott, see my PM, and I am also looking forward to the shirt. :salute:

Thanks guys!!!

PM me a shirt size and I will get them out to you this weekend!!!

Already have 10 guys locally signed up for this event, and a few possible out of towners coming in to help out.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, the Mountain Garrison is officially in high gear for the walk in Denver, and we are getting ready to run with this event. Here is the latest blurb for the Denver Walk from the JDRF office.

JDRF walk/Garrison walk team update

It is not to late to help, and we have just passed the halfway point to reaching our $3,000 goal for this year. Thanks go out to all of you who have sponsored me, but it is not too late if you have been considering. I will make sure to have lots of photos after the event.

Thanks for checking it out!!!

Scott

:trooper: Type 1 Trooper

• 2 weeks later...

OK, final post until after the walk, but I thought I would trow out a few updates:

We have been asked to be a MAJOR part of the event, with the local garrison handing out hats to all of the kids (and adults) with Type 1 for them to wear during the walk, and to take overhead photos during the walk. In addition, our local Vader will be cutting the ribbon for the start of the walk; with his lightsaber no less.

You can also check out the link that is on our local JDRF website that introduces the 501st and their first ever involvement of the Walk in Denver.

JDRF Walk 501st link

Finally, I want to thanks all of you who have been gracious enough to donate and help me towards reaching my fund raising goal. As of this morning, I am over 80% towards my goal, so I guess I am asking of anyone has considered helping me make my goal, no matter the amount, I can still use it. Keep in mind this is not for me, but for JDRF, and 80% of every dollar donated goes towards finding a cure (plus it is tax deductible :D )

Thanks again, and I will post pictures and a mission de-briefing next week.

:trooper:

Good Luck my friend. The Florida Garrison salutes your efforts :salute: :jawa: :rodian: :trooper::salute:

Thanks man. Looks liek we will have about 12 to 15 Legions folks on site, and close to 25 walkers. Our Garrison is also doing the Walk in Colorado Springs on the 15th, and the Walk in New Mexico on October 13th.

(Now we need a marching trooper icon!!!!!)

OK, here is the first public pic I have found from the walk.

Radio Station walk coverage pic

You can see several of my walk team (including my 6 year old and wife walking in the background). I will post much more as soon as I can get them all loaded and online.

We had over 4,000 walkers in Denver, and last count was that over $800,000 has been raised this year. We are hoping to see that number continue to rise closer to the $1 million goal.

Had a Vader, 4 TK's and a TD, plus a mini TIE Pilot on hand this year. We plan to expand for next year, and walk as a large group.

More to follow, in case anyone is interested.

That is the home of my Denver Broncos, Invesco Field at Mile High.

Coors Field is also close by. Not sure if you meant football or baseball.

Come out sometime and visit. Be happy to go to a game with ya. If it is for baseball, I can get tickets to a game just about anytime (I know people!!). Football is a different story.

Open invite to all!!! Come out to Denver and see a game.